1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Ferrari94, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Noa

Noa Just a little girl

Charizard with the four following moves: Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Blast and Fire Spin. Unstoppable!

I was also too quick to reset my games when I should have kept them to transfer them to newer gens. I still miss a lot of my old teams. :(

Majespectre and BTS_fan like this.
  2. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

Two of the most stupidest:
    1. Solo running with starters before catching legends the running with them, though in I'd always catch a Lapras and never use it aha. Didn't grasp the concept of teams until Gen 3!
    2. No dedicated HM slave, I'd have a full party but always gave my starter and or legend HMs unless it mean erasing a good movie then I'd give it one of the other party members, stupid kid I know lol.

BTS_fan likes this.
  3. TV_Games

TV_Games Master Blaster

When I was a kid, I thought that evolution was more like metamorphosis

Majespectre likes this.
  4. ShakLax

ShakLax Member

Probably the most stupid thing I did was training my Growlithe to level 100 in Pokemon gold. I didn't know that he evolved using the fire stone, so I trained him hoping in its evolution. Only when he was at lv 100 someone explained to me that I needed the stone.

Majespectre and BTS_fan like this.
  5. KingAegislash

KingAegislash Member

You got off lucky at least it could still be evolved haha.

BTS_fan likes this.
  6. Amourshpping

Amourshpping Well-Known Member

Only use one pokemon on my playthrough in DP and defeat the elite four with bascially only Palkia and Torterra

BTS_fan likes this.
  7. octoboy

octoboy I Crush Everything

It is. Much more like it than real-world evolution, in any case. An individual being can't evolve.

BTS_fan likes this.
  8. Vini310

Vini310 Well-Known Member

I used to think that all Pokémon who evolve by leveling up will evolve faster if you use a stone on them (example: Charmander evolves at level 16, but using a Fire Stone, I could make him evolve instantly, regardless of the level he was). I became pretty disappointed when I realized thta this don't work.

BTS_fan likes this.
  9. gentwoer

gentwoer Well-Known Member

Pretty much relying exclusively on my starter Pokemon because I wasn't smart enough to rotate my lead Pokemon outside of battle. This pretty much playing Pokemon Gold my only Pokemon that were any good were Meganium, Lugia, and Ho-Oh (the latter two only because they were already at high levels to begin with)

Naming the rival in Gold/Silver as ??? because I took the whole ??? wants to battle literally and thought that was his actual name (I was 8)

Majespectre and NovaBrunswick like this.
  10. LadyTriox

LadyTriox ~Cool like Korrina is~*snuggles her* <33

I used to really think Lance had a crush on me back when I was playing crystal XD......even if I may of been old enough to know better o_O;;;

11. Unova Yorker

Unova Yorker City Girl

I'm not a kid and I left the text speed on normal for the entire time I've been playing Moon up until yesterday. I CANNOT believe I forgot to change that. It's like a whole new game, LOL! I probably racked up a few hours of play time with just the text alone.

BTS_fan likes this.
  12. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I did that as well when I first played Red and Blue, although even in hindsight I don't know if I'd consider that to be a bad decision on my part. While my Starter Pokemon in each of those games struggled due to me relying on them so much, at least the bright side was that they reached Level 100 quickly, which was all I cared about when I was a kid.

BTS_fan likes this.
  13. LadyTriox

LadyTriox ~Cool like Korrina is~*snuggles her* <33

Here's some 'stupid' stuff i thought this year;
    NEBBY AND THE ULTRA BEASTS ARE NOT POKEMON

Now I know they are, thanks to bulbapedia, and every other 'creature' in pokemon games just HAS to be a pokemon XD

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  14. hadou regi

hadou regi New Member

I would always go into dark caves without flash and then spend far longer then needed trying to get out.

BTS_fan and NovaBrunswick like this.
  15. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

When I first heard of breeding in GSC, like how parent Pokemon don't have to be same species and how one gets baby Pokemon such as Elekid, Magby etc,. I thought I could get any Pokemon if I just put right parent combo into day care such as Dragonite + Aerodactyl = maybe Charmander, or Seadra + Dragonair = alternative way to obtain Kingdra. Obviously learning the mechanics was disappointing news.

Another failed attempt was trying to breed Kadabra with Hypno thinking I'd get Abra with Hypnosis as long as it's in Hypno's movepool... :p

16. reedcollins

reedcollins ReginaRegina

I remember I never understood how silcoon and cascoon evolved, I would get to furious whenever my wurmple would evolve into the one I didn't want. I also pronounced arcanine "ar-kay-nine" for years until my best friend laughed at me, but I blame pokemon stadium for all of my incorrect pronunciations back when I was a kid. I also pronounced evolution "e-volve-tion". I also thought that gameboys were only made for pokemon games, it didn't occur to me that other games even existed.

17. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

For some reason, I used to think Bagon had a tail. I guess I just assumed as most other dragons do and Salamence does. It was quite a surprise when I noticed.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  18. AuroraBeam

AuroraBeam Well-Known Member

My first game (I was about 6/7) was Blue and I for some reason thought that you were "supposed" to choose the starter of your version so I got squirtle even though bulbasaur was my favorite of the three. I was also that person who only used the starter so my blastoise was like lv 78 by the league. I almost managed to beat it too, but Blue/Green/Gary's venasaur was too tough at that point...

I also didn't understand the purpose of some items. Never used potions/status healers. I distinctly remember facing my rival with only 3 hp, OHKO'ing the pidgeot, and then dying to the venasaur. I probably had some items on me at the time that could've helped.

Majespectre and NovaBrunswick like this.
  19. Idarak

Idarak New Member

I was about 3-5 when I first played Gen I, and I only really remember two dumb things I thought.

Firstly, there is a man in Pewter City standing in a garden with a rock who tells you that Ethers restore PP. I thought the Ether he was talking about was the rock, and for the longest time I always pictured rocks whenever I saw the word Ether.

Also, as a kid I saw a comic book for the first movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back. I was just reading back then and often mistranslated words, so I read it as 'Mewtwo's Sticker Pack.' I loved sticker albums back then so I remember begging my mum to buy it for me.

20. Kage-Pikachu

Kage-Pikachu Well-Known Member

I released my Raichu in Blue and replaced him with a crappy high level one with terrible moves...

I loitered in Vermillion City for months in Blue before deciding to play Red and THEN discovering that I didn't need to wait a whole real life year for the St. Anne to return, I just needed to go through Rock Tunnel!

I tried to evolve Raichu into the legendary Pikablue by leveling it all the way up to 100 with Rare Candy and also tradng.