• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
Was that NPC Norman? He was originally from Johto before moving to Hoenn with his child (Brendan/May).

The NPC was a little kid from what I remember, and I think they were found in Yoshino (Cherrygrove) City. Since G/S/C supposedly take place a few years after R/S/E, I don't think the NPC was meant to be Senri (Norman).

TwilightBlade

I used to think that Giovanni's kid who was mentioned by that Gideon guy in LeafGreen/FireRed was Lance because Gideon mentioned Giovanni's kid having red hair. I actually wish it had been Lance because that would've been cool. :]

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The NPC was a little kid from what I remember, and I think they were found in Yoshino (Cherrygrove) City. Since G/S/C supposedly take place a few years after R/S/E, I don't think the NPC was meant to be Senri (Norman).

Norman is originally said to be from either Olivine or Goldenrod, so his child would presumably be from there too. Their kid could’ve possibly travelled around Johto before moving to Hoenn.

I used to think that Giovanni's kid who was mentioned by that Gideon guy in LeafGreen/FireRed was Lance because Gideon mentioned Giovanni's kid having red hair. I actually wish it had been Lance because that would've been cool. :]

But then that would mean an Elite Four member and the Champion would be the son of the boss of an evil organisation… which I don’t think Game Freak would even think about doing.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
There was the fact that Lance and Clair are cousins and part of the Dragon clan.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:

I'm actually glad that it turned out that Silver was Sakaki's (Giovanni's) son. Wataru (Lance) being related to him would've been interesting sure, but I liked the connection that was established between Sakaki and Silver in LG/FR since it would be brought up again in HG/SS.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'm actually glad that it turned out that Silver was Sakaki's (Giovanni's) son. Wataru (Lance) being related to him would've been interesting sure, but I liked the connection that was established between Sakaki and Silver in LG/FR since it would be brought up again in HG/SS.

Silver being Giovanni's son makes sense, because I always found him rather rough, rude and jerkish, like Gary (Blue) was in the original Red/Blue and FR/LG.

NeganTheSavior

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought the Deoxys space rumor in Ruby/Sapphire was true. I tried it and it wasn't. My parents never would've agreed to take me to an event to get one, so I was grasping at straws by any means necessary.

When I first played Yellow version, I was so curious to see what was behind the first door at the Pokemon league. I didn't have the Boulderbadge yet and didn't know how to get it since Pikachu's attacks don't do anything in the first gym. I actually had dreams and fantasies about seeing what was behind that door. I kept thinking it was like a huge VIP lounge/bar type of thing. I finally got the badge, went through the door and alas...I needed the Cascadebadge.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeganTheSavior said:
I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought the Deoxys space rumor in Ruby/Sapphire was true. I tried it and it wasn't. My parents never would've agreed to take me to an event to get one, so I was grasping at straws by any means necessary.

A lot of people fell for the Deoxys in space rumors back then, and it's funny how it ended up being an actual thing in OR/AS since we could find Deoxys in outer space during Delta Episode. I also admit that I thought that the white rock outside of the space center was related to Jirachi somehow.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I actually had dreams and fantasies about seeing what was behind that door. I kept thinking it was like a huge VIP lounge/bar type of thing. I finally got the badge, went through the door and alas...I needed the Cascadebadge.

That could actually be kind of cool though, a VIP lounge for Champions. I could imagine Leon, Cynthia and Iris all chatting with each other. :D

I also admit that I thought that the white rock outside of the space center was related to Jirachi somehow.

Yeah, why else would it be there? I think Game Freak just does things like that to troll us, like the truck near the S.S. Anne which we all thought Mew was hiding under.
Actually, that truck WAS hiding something... a Lava Cookie. o_O

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
That could actually be kind of cool though, a VIP lounge for Champions. I could imagine Leon, Cynthia and Iris all chatting with each other. :D

Yeah, why else would it be there? I think Game Freak just does things like that to troll us, like the truck near the S.S. Anne which we all thought Mew was hiding under.
Actually, that truck WAS hiding something... a Lava Cookie. o_O
Yep. Like having a competition reward be one of Lance's Dragonites. They knew that a lot of people tried to catch one lol.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Defeating the Elite 4 in Red 12 times with a single pokemon would get you a togepy. Or something like that.

Ah yes, all the old "defeat the Elite 4 a number of times and you get a rare Pokémon" rumours.

NeedsAName

I heard the term before, although I didn't quite understand what exactly they were supposed to be. I think that Houou (Ho-Oh) was considered to be one, but I can't remember for sure.

Basically, they were a rumor that was highly prevalent during Gen I (Kanto) and II (Johto), but slowly died out during the days of Gen III (Hoenn) and Gen IV (Sinnoh) although some similar rumors do persist. The rumor stated that certain fully-evolved Pokémon like Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise, as well as Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Gengar, Machamp, and more, could evolve even further into absurdly-powerful Pokémon called Pokégods. The "methods" for evolution were often convoluted, tedious, and absurd, such as battling the Elite Four 100 times, walking 20 laps around Cerulean Cave, then giving a Fire Stone to your Dragonite. However, Gen VI (Kalos) would introduce Mega Evolution, which did allow Pokemon that had already evolved twice, such as Alakazam, to evolve further for a short amount of time. Also, the last three generations have added some very strange evolution methods, like leveling up past Lv30 with your device upside-down (Inkay), leveling up knowing Dragon Pulse (Which Poipole can't learn without the move Relearner), or taking 49 damage without healing then going under a specific arch (G-Yamask).

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
There was also this alleged secret evolution stone known as the Mist Stone that got you all of the Pokegod Evolutions. That was a very common rumor in my area. I heard it everywhere from different kids that never met each other and yet they had similar info.

Trillion

I used my masterball on a regular old Seviper in Emerald. Also caught my first shiny in the same game and I was so confused on why the Zubat I had found was green and sparkly lol.

Oh and it took me about 200 hours to beat the first time. I only used my starter Blaziken and even at super high levels champion Wallace's Gyarados murdered him.
the first time i saw a shiny, i ran from it lol. it was an oddish in ruby

i had released one earlier in the game and i came across the shiny later on when i got to the route just before lilycove city

i thought the sparkles were an indication that it was the same one i had already released, so i ran. i didn't even know shiny pokemon were even a thing at the time and i didn't notice the difference from regular oddish

Orphalesion

Of course all those convoluted methods to catch "secret" Pokemon or evolve them into "Pokegods" only seemed so plausible to people because the Missingno and "catch Safari Zone Pokemon at the coast of Cinnabar" glitches involved such seemingly random strings of events. Hardly anybody knew why or how they worked from a technical point of view, so many of those rumors just seemed like more of that.