• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Savatar

God of Snow
hmmmm back in red i tought you had to catch the ghost of pokemon tower or it will keep terrorizing people (because ghosts dont die, not to mention faint) and it was pretty funny watching big strong blastoise, "cower in fear"

The Fire Starter

I used to use the stat vitamins on the pokemon in my party that has the lowest of that stat. I figured that It would balance the stats and make them stronger.

Purple_BlitzXD

♥Heart of Ice♥
In pokemon Silver (my first game), I used to think every time you battled and made a wild pokemon faint, it meant you caught it :C So every time I would battle pidgey I was like,"MOM, look I caught another one!!! :D" mind I was about 6 then lol .....oi I was sooo wrong -_-

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
This isn't actually me, but my mum used to play my Silver game back in the day. She used my Masterball on a Phanpy because she thought it was really rare. :/

I will admitt that I used to believe all the rumours about Pokegods and stuff though, and did some pretty silly things on my games to try and get them.

kedlu

Zubat Zubat
I thought that there were wild Mew in Pokemon Mansion, and I ran around the mansion for hours trying to find one. ^.^

DarkMagicianGirl17

Ace Trainer Diana
The products of my first n00bish Pokemon game playthrough included only fully raising three Pokemon: my starter (Blastoise), Ch'Ding the Farfetch'd, and Raichu. Oh, and when I played Sapphire I got stuck after earning seven Badges for, like, a month, because I couldn't figure out that the "Team Aqua must have surfaced here!" message during that one underwater route meant I had to get out of the water and fight them xD

Anime-wise, my seven-year-old self thought that JJM were the only members of TR. As in, it was some random thing they made up after seeing Pikachu and trying to steal it.

weirdamanda

What a drama llama.
When I found my first legendary, I didn't catch it, because in the anime (I watched the show before playing the game) Ash never catches the legendaries, so I thought, "Oh no! I'm not supposed to catch it! It has to be free!" Then I looked it up and I was supposed to catch it....lucky I didn't save! ^^;

Ferrari94

Dark Trainer
haha that would have really sucked if you saved.
pretty funny that you thought that coz ash didnt have legendaries you werent supposed to either.

well this is sorta related to this but early this year, yes not a kid but still, my friend asked me which way she had to go from cerulean city on hg/ss. i was meant to tell her to go right but i said left for some reason. so she was walking through that grass patch not having anywhere to actually go for half an hour.
when i figured it out..yer i felt pretty stupid to get left and right mixed up. but i do know my left and right :p

TheSwram!

You've been bitten
I thought I could re catch Mewtwo in fire red so I KOed it then I restarted the whole game to get it again.

rook09

Of science.
I thought you released pokemon to get them into the boxes, not deposit them, which resulted in me losing my level 70 party...

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
In pokemon silver i wasted my master ball on a skarmory because I thought it was a legendary.. then caught lugia with a great ball :p

I miss the original..

Korotokku

Something..
Thought that if the moves looked strong, that they'd be more powerful. (Looks like teaching all of my Pokémon Rock Smash didn't go so well...)

Last edited:

XxragdollxX

Jazz hands
I used to think that surf was good onweezing because of all the holes on it's body
I used to think that X attack, X decence etc. were bad for the pokemon
I used to think that a pokemon's level represented it's age
I us

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
Without this post being a wall of text, a few of the misconceptions I had while playing Blue as a kid were:

-Thinking that there was only one Pikachu in Viridian Forest and hitting my cousin when he fainted it.
-Feeling as if I must be close to completing the game when I got to Cerulean City for the first time.
-Spending hours walking around Seafoam Island because I thought Articuno was a random encounter.
-Spending hours testing out rumors I found on the internet and from friends, i.e. ways to get Mew, PokéGods, Marill, Togepi, Bill's Secret Garden, etc.
-Wondering how in the world a seashell (Metapod) evolved into a butterfly (Butterfree). No idea why it didn't occur to me that it was a cocoon.
-Dedicating a lot of time trying to get to the grass to the east and west of Pallet Town thinking that that's where Koffings were, my favorite Pokémon at the time.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. xD

Molly2010

Pokemon addict
I remember using repels (yes plural) to try and wake up the snorlax in Red version. I never got past Vermillion City because I could never move that stupid snorlax. I spent hours and tons of Pokecash on repels. :'(

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
I thought healing your Pokemon gave them experience when I was five years old, so I would talk to Nurse Joy nonstop in my Pokemon Yellow.
I thought it was cool to have just one strong Pokemon and have the other as very weak back-up.
Releasing my Pokemon and then thinking I could catch them in the wild.

I was a very silly child

weirdamanda

What a drama llama.
haha that would have really sucked if you saved.
pretty funny that you thought that coz ash didnt have legendaries you werent supposed to either.

They make it seem like legendaries are gods in the anime and only the bad guys try to catch them! ^^; I looked up what I was supposed to do on the internet and saw someone said, "You aren't supposed to make it faint stupid! You're supposed to catch it!" o_o I felt so dumb...

When I was first saw the evolved form of Pikachu (I can't spell his name o_0,) I thought you were meant to pronounce it's name like Pikachu did, apart from the Pi. So I went on calling him 'Rikachu' (It goes like this: Rake-a-chu!)

I did this until my cosin pointed out to me that you're meant to pronounce it like 'Raichu.'