• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
When i was 6 or 7 i somehow just KNEW that there had to be something in the grass over the borders of Pallet town, like you could find new or extremely powerful pokemon. I used to spend HOURS to find some possible secret route to get there.http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/BreakingBlue/Update%2001/25-capture_02042010_121947.png

And, in ruby/sapphire, i thought that Magcargo evolved into Torkoal, because they were both fire types and were next to each other in the pokedex XD

TehGr81

College graduate
About 8 or 9 years ago, when Ash defeated Brock with Pikachu (because of the water spray) I thought I would be able to do the exact same thing with my Pikachu in Yellow with Thundershock. Boy, was I wrong.

However, I eventually defeated him with Pikachu by using a crapload of Quick Attacks and Tail Whips. I only needed Quick Attack for Geodude, but Onix was where Tail Whip came in handy. :)

Last edited:

torchicflame

Big charmander fan!
I thought Mr. mime and Jynx were married...since they both look like humans and were near each other on the pokedex.
Used masterball on goldeen.
Spent forever trying to raise pikachu to lv 100 thinking i would win the game.
Wasting rare candy when i could have just leveled up my pokemon by 100 or 200 experience points.
Releasing caterpie or butterfree b/c ash did.
Thinking ampharos was a legendary as i could not catch it in crystal.
Trading away my only kings rock attached to poliwhirl and losing a politoed b/c the kid knew it would evolve....he eventually erased the data and i wanted it back too :'(
Crying over a poochyena b/c i did not want to start my game over and catch it again. Same kid above wanted all the starters.
Not thinking lavitar evovled into pupitar.
Teaching my main team hms.
Killing sudowoodo.
Being stuck in rock tunnel because of the dark.

mario_fan

Kawaiibunkle
I remember teaching my flygon sunny day just to make berries (one berry said it grows well in sunny places) becuase none of my berries would grow thanks to the dry battery thing in R/S.

Heldigunner1

lime in the coconut
I thought the red gyados meant that my game broke. So I restarted, over and over and over and over again. Not until crystal came out did I discover it was a part of the game. I discovered because of the player guide.

Last edited:

Cris~Wigglytuff~

elite wigglejiggle!?
I used to think Slowbro evolved into Slowking ^.^'

I thought the same thing! I thought I was the only one.

Anyways, I believed that stat lowering moves were PERMANENT.
That you BOUGHT pokemon at the pokemart. -.-
That if you truly loved your pokemon hard enough, they will always win (which sorta worked lol).
When I release my pokemon they end up in lavender town D:
Only levels and typing and evolution mattered, not stats.
I sold most, if not all of my items except the masterball and tms.

I thought that when ash left charizard for training that he would come back the next episode, or the next next episode, or the next next next episode, etc.

EDIT: My friend once convinced me to believe scyther evolved into SCYTHATRON (kabutops). -_____-
I was really angry at my friend when generation II came out with scizor.

The Wonder Days of Pokemon :3

Last edited:

GilligBoi

I tried to use strenght on trainers that got in my way.

7420Cola

Shelgon Rocks
I always thought Ecruteak city was called You correct city. and that mew was the ULTIMATE pokemon ever.

JolteonBlitz27

I am credit to team!
I thought that to

Hey this thread is basically about you guys writing about things that you thought or did relating to pokemon that when you think about it now is pretty stupid.
It could be you thinking that something did something if you pressed it or listening to something on the internet that turned out to be fake. Or maybe you thought a certain character in the show was a girl instead of a guy or a guy instead of a girl. Share your stories!

I'll start us off by saying this...
When i was young i used to hate getting my stats lowered by an opponent because i thought it actually took away your stats forever, not just lowering it during the battle.
If you dont understand, if you have an attack of 183 for example, and an opponent used growl and lowered your attack. I thought it went down to 182.

So share your stories on things that you did that you think weren't exactly smart.
OMG I used to think that too! I when balistic everytime a pidgey growl spammed me.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
When I found my first legendary, I didn't catch it, because in the anime (I watched the show before playing the game) Ash never catches the legendaries, so I thought, "Oh no! I'm not supposed to catch it! It has to be free!" Then I looked it up and I was supposed to catch it....lucky I didn't save! ^^;

LOL that was the excuse I always told to myself when I couldn't catch them :D :D :D

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
Before I got a Pokemon game, I thought that raising and training was more like on the anime. So I figured it would be really cool and awesome to level up, not like it is in the games...grinding. So when my neighbor told me he didn't want Yellow Version because you have to raise your Pokemon in that game, I thought he was stupid. (He liked cloning rare candies via missingno because he was too lazy to level grind, and that glitch isn't in Yellow. Which is something he could list if he were on this board)
I had no idea how to use a Pokeball. I just kept on knocking out Pokemon, and wondering when I would get the chance to catch one. I thought, "Ash knocks them out before HE catches them!" (That was when I played the GBC set up in the Wal Mart)
And I kept on thinking, "You forgot Gary's name?" when I finally actually got Yellow.

johno1995

I used to think Dunsparce was a legendary Pokemon. heh...

I always would visit the Space Center in Hoenn and think eventually they'd send me to the moon and I could catch Deoxys - I read this off the internet and thought it was true. :$

And finally... I'd go outside with my game and look through the grass for Pokemon. True freaking story. One time I called the stars 'Jirachis' to my parents and they thought i was crazy.

I used to be so obsessed. :D

BuizelPidgeot

When the first candy pokeballs came to the stores in.. God knows when, i used to buy them for the candy and throw away the pokemon figure :D

ParaChomp

be your own guru
[IMG200]http://forum.cheatengine.org/files/imagination_408.png[/IMG200]

When I had my first Pokemon (Pearl) game about three years ago.. I was new and all alone so I never, ever, ran from a wild battle or knew how to use repels and I beat it without a guide, you can all see how difficult this would be on victory road...I felt like total idiot once my friend showed me how to run and that it was okay to do that.

SpicyFlareon

Mr. Flareon to you.
I used to run away from every battle, and thought a Flareon evolved into a Eevee. o_O

xsedr

The Moral Aethiest
1. Training more than 1 pokemon in game was next to impossible (started in blue, lasted until Ruby)
2. Every single Mew/Togepi/Pikablu/Glitch City theory (The truck, bill's garden, alot with Oak, and beating the E4 100 times)
3. There was nothing wrong with using rare candies (and then wondering why all my awesome level 100, 0 ev pokemon couldn't win 1 battle frontier battle.)
4. Stat Lowering moves lasted until you went to a pokemon center. Not that I actually cared about stats until Platinum.
5. Hyper Beam/Fire Blast/Blizzard/Thunder were the greatest
6. Expected Pikachu to curbstomp Onix anime style (needless to say I used a Nidoqueen every other Yellow playthrough)
7. In Yellow, Blue and Silver I thought a masterball was the only way to catch a legendary, restricting you to one per game.
8. Hit hard and fast and only use the Adamant and Modest natures (when I started EV training). No wonder I never won a frontier symbol
9. Keckleon was the reward for showing professer Elm all 251 pokemon in Silver (damn anime showing it in the second gen) and very rarely you could go to space on a perfect day in Ruby and find Jirachi. Also I thought Mt. Silver was impossible to reach without cheats (I just wanted a sneasel)
10. Nicknaming your Torchic Blaze would cause rare pokemon to apear more (it actually seemed to work)
11. Pressing a and moving the control pad aided in the capture.
12. Up until Platinum (this ones really bad) I used to avoid every single trainer battle I could, and I have no idea why. And this was when I used a whole team so I would end up with level 40s in the E4.
I sometimes wonder how we were so gullible and imaginative. The good old days

Last edited:

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
1. Training more than 1 pokemon in game was next to impossible (started in blue, lasted until Ruby)
2. Every single Mew/Togepi/Pikablu/Glitch City theory (The truck, bill's garden, alot with Oak, and beating the E4 100 times)
3. There was nothing wrong with using rare candies (and then wondering why all my awesome level 100, 0 ev pokemon couldn't win 1 battle frontier battle.)
4. Stat Lowering moves lasted until you went to a pokemon center. Not that I actually cared about stats until Platinum.
5. Hyper Beam/Fire Blast/Blizzard/Thunder were the greatest
6. Expected Pikachu to curbstomp Onix anime style (needless to say I used a Nidoqueen every other Yellow playthrough)
7. In Yellow, Blue and Silver I thought a masterball was the only way to catch a legendary, restricting you to one per game.
8. Hit hard and fast and only use the Adamant and Modest natures (when I started EV training). No wonder I never won a frontier symbol
9. Keckleon was the reward for showing professer Elm all 251 pokemon in Silver (damn anime showing it in the second gen) and very rarely you could go to space on a perfect day in Ruby and find Jirachi. Also I thought Mt. Silver was impossible to reach without cheats (I just wanted a sneasel)
10. Nicknaming your Torchic Blaze would cause rare pokemon to apear more (it actually seemed to work)
11. Pressing a and moving the control pad aided in the capture.
12. Up until Platinum (this ones really bad) I used to avoid every single trainer battle I could, and I have no idea why. And this was when I used a whole team so I would end up with level 40s in the E4.
I sometimes wonder how we were so gullible and imaginative. The good old days

I used to do that, especially in gyms. I made a game out of how many trainers I could avoid. Facepalm, right? I mean, had I not heard of exp?? Jeez, was I a moron. :)

The dumbest thing I ever did was in yellow version, whereupon I was having trouble catching a Onix. The little bugger would not stay in the pokeball. My answer? 'Mwahaha, let's see you get out of this Masterball, Onix.' No, really. I actually used my only masterball on an onix. Dear god, I was a moron.