• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
One time, I taught my Blastoise the following moveset:
Hydro Cannon
Hydro Pump
Surf
Water Pulse
He was level 63. I challenged the Elite Four. Imagine how fun it was with the Lapras... after I lost horribly, I started the game over.
Didn't we all at some point...

I used to think Mewthree was real.

You think THAT'S bad? I used to think the Mew line went all the way up to Mewnine! I was so gullible, so stupid.

Zibdas

not bad
One time, I taught my Blastoise the following moveset:
Hydro Cannon
Hydro Pump
Surf
Water Pulse
He was level 63. I challenged the Elite Four. Imagine how fun it was with the Lapras... after I lost horribly, I started the game over.

You think THAT'S bad? I used to think the Mew line went all the way up to Mewnine! I was so gullible, so stupid.

My friend said there were 386 Mews plus the normal 386 in the third gen.

In my blue version I tried to beat the Elite Four with a level 76 Charizard. It had the standard noob moveset of HMs + Fire Spin. I actually beat Lance but lost to my rival's Blastoise for obvious reasons.
There was also my Raichu with 4 electric attacks as well. Fail.

-In r/b i thought you caught pokemon by pressing select just before they fainted.
-up untill HG/SS my starters only knew moves of their type; fire->fire blast, flamethrower etc.
-i got different pokemon for different HM's, i hated going through caves.

Chrome919

Gens 1-3 are best!
Used masterball on wild absol... -.-

BenjaminBattington

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh boy, back when I played Red for the first time I had my share of stupid moves.

Thought I was supposed to catch Pokemon in the overworld rather than in-battle. In Viridian City I actually bought like 10 Pokeballs, stood next to one of the resident's pet pidgeys, went into my inventory, selected Pokeball and chose "Toss." 10 times.

For some reason I assumed that the Legendary Pokemon were uncatchable, and were supposed to be bosses in a sense. So I KO'd all the birds and Mewtwo.

Some of you young'uns might now know this, but back in the day there was no way to check an attack while you were learning it. You literally only had the attack name and NOTHING ELSE to go by. So, naturally, when the game told me Charizard was learning "Dragon Rage," I thought, hell yeah! The rage of a mighty dragon! That's gotta be the best move in the game! And I overwrote Fire Blast.

Also, and I personally think this one was fairly reasonable, when you get the Master Ball, the Silph Co. bloke tells you that they aren't in shops "yet." So I assumed that later in the game they would be purchasable. Not knowing it would be the only one, I used the Master ball on a
Pidgeotto

With all that, it's a wonder I managed to complete my Pokedex. Ahh friendship.

pkmnfn

DW Breeder
I knew a guy who thought pokemon were real, but invisible... I tried to tell him he was wrong, but I couldn't prove it... he could prove it either, but wherever I said that he'd cover his ears... he almost had me convinced too...

Zibdas

not bad
We were kids! Who actually paid attention to that guy! lol I am guilty of not knowing how to catch pokemon for like 1 month back in the red blue days.

On my first pokemon game, I took notes.

Abstinence Pistols

Oh boy, back when I played Red for the first time I had my share of stupid moves.

Thought I was supposed to catch Pokemon in the overworld rather than in-battle. In Viridian City I actually bought like 10 Pokeballs, stood next to one of the resident's pet pidgeys, went into my inventory, selected Pokeball and chose "Toss." 10 times.

For some reason I assumed that the Legendary Pokemon were uncatchable, and were supposed to be bosses in a sense. So I KO'd all the birds and Mewtwo.

Some of you young'uns might now know this, but back in the day there was no way to check an attack while you were learning it. You literally only had the attack name and NOTHING ELSE to go by. So, naturally, when the game told me Charizard was learning "Dragon Rage," I thought, hell yeah! The rage of a mighty dragon! That's gotta be the best move in the game! And I overwrote Fire Blast.

Also, and I personally think this one was fairly reasonable, when you get the Master Ball, the Silph Co. bloke tells you that they aren't in shops "yet." So I assumed that later in the game they would be purchasable. Not knowing it would be the only one, I used the Master ball on a
Pidgeotto

With all that, it's a wonder I managed to complete my Pokedex. Ahh friendship.

Ah, I remember that. It was SO annoying.. I deleted my blastoise's hydro pump because the animation looked weak.. For RAGE. also, it looked strong so the only move I ever used was bubblebeam. No, seriously, I had no idea about type matchups so my blastoise ONLY used bubblebeam. Until the op ran out, of course. Oh yeah, and it was the only pokemon I ever used so it learned hydro pump at lavender town.

Abstinence Pistols

We were kids! Who actually paid attention to that guy! lol I am guilty of not knowing how to catch pokemon for like 1 month back in the red blue days.

Oh right, and until I got to vermillion I had no idea thar you could BUY potions and pokeballs and you just had to find them on the ground, so the only pokemon I had were caterpie and wartortle.

McNugget

The Bassist
in Gen II when they asked if I'd seen ??? I typed in ??? because i thought that WAS the name.

This is pretty recent.
I know I'm not the only one who tried to use the Sprayduck on the flopping Magikarp in Lake Valor...
or am I?
I too, wanted to save the wittle magikarps, i thought they would die O.O

Catching 1 pidgey and some other HM slaves and then training only my starter

Last edited:

Budew

Banned
Not really stupid but...

I was traveling in Petalburg woods looking for shroomish and I stumble upon a purple Slakoth
A shiny one, if you haven't figured it out...
I used my wurmple against it and used tackle... IT WAS A CRITICAL HIT!!!
The hp was about done, lucky for me, so I went in the bag and threw a pokeball
I caught a shiny slakoth? wait... WTF O.O

As I caught the Slakoth the game FROZE, FROZE!!!!!!!!

=(

the hydreigon

make that three
oh i got a good one..ok when i played my first pokemon i saw a shiny arbok and caught it so i said to my brother "i have an arbok thats brown and he told me what it meant and then i droped my gameboy and the game came out and then i said......
wtf.jpg

wait why wont it work as a picture

Last edited:
^LOL^ Once, when my friend caught a shiny, I took out the game to see which one he was playing. He must really hate me for that.
I thought when you beat the E4, Nintendo would somehow know and send you a gift certificate for more pokemon games.LOL!

Mijuwott

Poppstar Sunshine
oh i got a good one..ok when i played my first pokemon i saw a shiny arbok and caught it so i said to my brother "i have an arbok thats brown and he told me what it meant and then i droped my gameboy and the game came out and then i said......
wtf.jpg

wait why wont it work as a picture
I noticed that too, maybe something happened for the mod to stop pictures from being shown..maybe its the spambots fault...but i would have done the same thing when i saw a shiny clefairy in my firered, miju.

Heh. I was quite bad at Pokemon in my younger days:
-Thought that if you didnt beat the current gym before passing the lvl trade limit, your regular Pokemon wouldnt obey you anymore.
-Actually bought a magikarp from the guy in R/B.
-Thought Riolu was the first legendary to evolve.
-Used up several Pokeballs trying to steal other trainer's pokemon, just because you can do it in XD.