• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Nyter

Island Challenger
I think most of em were mentioned but pressing the b button repeatedly while getting attacked would possibly make the pokemon's attack miss... and then I learned what accuracy was.

Ryan7437

Banned

WNDR

I was scared in silver about lying to the police so silvers names was ???
My bulbasaur lvl100 was as strong as your venusaur lvl100 and it only needed to know grass type moves and/or HM's
Oh so many memories...

INeedScizor!61!

Pokéthuselah
To this day, I press and hold B whenever the ball hits a Pokèmon. Back in Gen I, I thought it made a difference. Now, it just doesn't feel right if I don't do it.

Vaas

It took me a few years to understand that flash could light up caves.. I've been wandering trough the dark for a few years (Rock Tunnel for example). Just follow the walls till an exit or ladder appeared.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I once thought that Grass was weak to Psychic, since all of the pokemon I've used Psychic on were part Poison type.

shadorai

wandering trainer
when i was really young for a short time after i started playing, i thought that special attack and special defense were speed attack and speed defense (because they were abbreviated as sp. atk and sp. def) and that those stats applied only to moves like quick attack and extremespeed.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
Back when D/P first came out, I thought Crasher Wake was a Poison Gym Leader (since he lives in the swamp). Then, when I found out that he was a wrestler, I thought he was Fighting (and I wondered why there were two Fighting Gym Leaders?)

It wasn't until Platinum that I found out he was Water type >.<

(Off topic: shadorai, the quote in your sig is from Karen, not Agatha haha)

shadorai

wandering trainer
Back when D/P first came out, I thought Crasher Wake was a Poison Gym Leader (since he lives in the swamp). Then, when I found out that he was a wrestler, I thought he was Fighting (and I wondered why there were two Fighting Gym Leaders?)

It wasn't until Platinum that I found out he was Water type >.<

(Off topic: shadorai, the quote in your sig is from Karen, not Agatha haha)

i'm pretty sure agatha said it first. i have had this as my favorite pokemon quote for some time. but thanks for the insight.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I am very guilty of holding down the B button while either trying to catch a Pokemon or trying to make my attacks stronger when battling. I really don't believe it works anymore, it just became a habit. Even now, when I do catch a Pokemon or get a critical hit, I kinda believe it works, and that the times it doesn't happen, I feel like I just pressed it at the wrong time or something. Old habits die hard.

i'm pretty sure agatha said it first. i have had this as my favorite pokemon quote for some time. but thanks for the insight.

He's right. It was Karen that said that and not Agatha.

Shadow Caster

Plasma Executive
I used a Masterball to capture a Snorlax... I was young and stupid. >.<

remybutton

Stupid things I've thought were true:
Ground being weak against flying
The final evolutions of the Generation 1 starters could evolve further with a moon stone at level 100
That Gary and your player were siblings
If you turned on your RBY at night, Pokemon would have the status "cursed" even if you heal them
Devolving Pokemon would occur if you kept fainting them
If you lost a certain amount of battles, a witch would take all your Pokemon
You could only use the Pokemon Center 100 times for each new game you start
Pokeballs would eventually be sold out after 1000 buys and never restock again

There were a lot more, but I can't remember them alll.

BlazeTorchic

Just A Trainer
In HG/SS when the policeman asked what the trainer who had stolen the Pokemon's name was, I thought that if I put in the wrong answer something bad would happen, so I spent ages trying to remember what it said on his Trainer card (which didn't even tell you -.-) then I looked it up on the net and found out that you just made up his name. Oh.

And yeah, I only ever trained my starter in my first ever game, Sapphire. Thought my Blaziken was invincible. Bad idea.

Oh, and I evolved a Magikarp into Gyrados on one of my games, never replaced Splash because I thought that it was exactly the same as the Waterfall HM and would let me go up waterfalls or whatever, because of the Pokedex entry. When I tried to get up the waterfall I was so disappointed, and then I thought it might work if I didn't evolve the Magikarp, so I caught another one and tried again. What was I thinking?

Last edited: