• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

budderytorterra7

Grass Type Trainer
The first day I got pokemon diamond when I was 7 I couldn't find the save button. I just played over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and- well the point is that me and my dad stayed up until 2:00 in the morning figuring out that all you had to do was click the X button.

DERP.

Quantum1024

Flaming Death
In Silver Version, when your rival first shows up, and it says: ??? wants to fight! That ??? was actually his name. So when the guy asked for the name of your rival, I put: ???

I thought the same thing as well when I first started playing Pokemon (Crystal). Turns out you have to set his name. He ended up being called UNKNOWN from that point on. What's more unforgivable was that I was 18 at that time.

Crimson_Blazer

Back in the RBY days i thought that you could encounter Gengar in cerulean cave, and after defeating one it will lead you to a togepi, this was before GSC were out...and I don't know if it is stupid, but i exploited the missingno. Glitch to its fullest

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I also believed in the spaceship rumor in the Mossdeep Space Center in Emerald, which just turned out to be a hoax.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
One of the stupid things I did as a kid was believe in the Mew under the truck rumor. I wasted so much time trying to find ways to move that stupid truck haha.

Oh man theres so many.
I used to bring my Pikachu and Gengar plushies absolutely everywhere.
I also made loads of stupid name mistakes like saying Ratachu onstead of Raichu (as pikachu is a mouse).
I also used to think oddish evolved into jumpluff for some reason. And also Ghastly into cloyster. (its the eyes)

Spidy

i remember i had the ULTIMATE moveset on charizard in red

ember
flamethrower
fire spin
fire blast

ya...

I also believed in the spaceship rumor in the Mossdeep Space Center in Emerald, which just turned out to be a hoax.

I believed in this as well.

And I also probably did more dumb things with Pokemon when I was younger, such as giving my Pokemon semi-random nicknames which didn't make sense or had a meaning I didn't know about.

lala0629

When I was like 6, when i first started playing pokemon, I found out soemthing called a bad egg. I was in Solaceon town breeding. I took the egg put it in the pc and left it their, thinking it was a bad egg. Two years later when I got it out, I realized I was fine and you can only get it by hacking (which I never did, didn`t have gameshark or AR)

Enjolras

Master of the House
I thought that there was a Deoxys on Mirage Island.
I also thought that water was super effective on itself.... Imagine my surprise when Misty's Staryu wasn't downed by my Wartortle. Not even close.

-Years and years ago when I was playing my first ever Pokemon game, gold, I thought if you ran into a wild Pokemon you had to reset the game. It wasn't until later that my friend showed me how to battle.
-I thought that in Gen 4 games there was an invisible hole in a random tile in a random area that, if you fell into it, dropped you into a cavern where you could catch Exis and Linx, the 494th and 495th Pokemon.
-I didn't know about seafloor cavern in Sapphire, so I spent about 2 months trying to get into the Sootopolis gym until I finally found it by diving randomly.
-I believed that if you got 4 star pieces and examined the white rock in Emerald, you would be able to catch Deoxys.

budderytorterra7

Grass Type Trainer
One day, me and my friend were talking on the phone. We were bored, so we decided to just browse the GTS. Me and my friend were having a conversation about how shinies were "so rare and, so hard to get", and suddenly my friend was silent. I asked him what was the matter, and he said he JUST FOUND A SHINY SALAMENCE!!!! I was all like WHUT!? He was all like YEAH IMA TRADE MEWTWO FO IT!!! And so I went to that "page" or whatever you wanna call it, and I saw it. I didn't know waht to do so I just...TRADED MY MEWTWO THAT I HAD SPENT OVER 2 HOURS TRYING TO GET. I usually would get upset and regret what I had done and cry. But no, this time I was all happy and I was all like HECKZ YAEH BRO I JUST GOT IT!!!! I personally thought it still was a fair trade though. I mean, its a shiny, come on. After I stopped cheering, my friend was all like WHUT U JUST GOT IT!!!?? I FOUND DAT 1ST WHUT DA HECKS BRO!!!??? And I was like SORRY I JUST WANTED IT ITS A SHINY!!! After about 5 minutes I was tired of hearing his complaining. I, LIKE AN IDIOT GAVE HIM THE SALAMENCE FOR A STARLY. He was all like sorry. i give u my mewtwo? I was all like no...iz ok.....I felt like an idiot and was sad the rest of the day...To this day I am constantly annnoying him about he owes me a mewtwo. I was dumb.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I thought Ice>Rock.

Both me and my friend had Geodude as our first shiny Pokemon. I caught mine, as I thought it was unique 'n stuff. My friend killed his, thinking it was bad. Mwahahaahahah!

And I thought Garchomp was a legend, and if you beat Cynthia 100 times, you could get one.

The_Shadow

Mythology Enthusiast
As a kid(a smaller kid), I thought HM moves were the best moves in the game. So I taught my Empoleon HM moves only. I found out they f@&#ing sucked, and I did'nt know that there was a move deleter and I thought my Empoleon where trapped with HM moves.

I also cheated a little on the game, and I got a weird pokémon named -----. I tried to switch it out with one of the pokémon in my PC, and the pokémon from my PC dissapeared!

Last edited: