• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Artnerd

Insane Artist
I thought you needed to evolve your pokémon ASAP so they will be the strongest. But some pokémon (stone evolvers) don't learn any moves after evolving, so that made the game quite challenging with just TMs.
...This isn't true right? I'm actually still not really sure. XD

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
HYPER BEAM ON EVERYTHING IT'S THE BEST MOVE EVER OKAY ?
Also, Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Spin, Fire Blast or any combination of 4 moves of the exact same type because why not ?

lol I did both of those things....
I used to think beaming moves were the best moves because of Dragon Ball Z and the Kamehameha....
Of course I thought that Lugia was the most powerful pokemon and that Aeroblast could beat everything...XD

SiLeNtDeViL609

High Five The Sky!!!
I use to think that Ghosts type moves had no effect on Psychic type pokemon. I never knew why but when I had fire-red and leaf-green I would never use ghost types against Sabrina lol

Au Au

A lil bit ditzy
Here are a few of mine:

1. I thought that a female Hippowdon was shiny, so I caught one with some difficulty (damn Sand Stream)
2. Catching all the Unown patterns would unlock some super Unown with great powers
3. Lucario was a Legendary
4. When you become Champion, you would stay in the League forever
5. The faster you mash A button, the better your chances are of catching a Pokemon\
6. You always had to pick your version's mascot (Blue was Squirtle, Red was Charizard)

Gimleah

I thought Lucario was a legendary too, because it appeared in a movie.

1) I was convinced of the fact that Tauros had an evolution.
2) when you got hit or attacked, pushing the right or left arrow increased your damage, or decreased the damage taken.
3) I had never heard of shinies, so the chances I encoutered some and just pressed "Run" are quite high.

Chalis

Victorious
I thought Macargo,donphan,skarmory,bellosom,crobat,and azumarill were gen 3

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I threw my pet rabbit across the room screaming "I CHOOSE YOU PIKACHU"(I named it pikachu) #O GOD WHY

I actually did the same thing with my cat once when I was like 5.

Took a week for the scars to heal.

Zenithex

Avid Trader
Swore there was a way to get into the Pokemon Daycares and talk to the Pokemon who were chilling out (and possibly collect the toys/beach balls that were around).

Also thought that Master Balls were plentiful after receiving the first one since there was more than one legendary (sounded reasonable to me) lol.

Would go to the Lottery daily thinking that the numbers depended on my Pokemon's Pokedex # not their OT... (my chances would go up if I nicknamed them). Good times lol.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Swore there was a way to get into the Pokemon Daycares and talk to the Pokemon who were chilling out (and possibly collect the toys/beach balls that were around).

Also thought that Master Balls were plentiful after receiving the first one since there was more than one legendary (sounded reasonable to me) lol.

Would go to the Lottery daily thinking that the numbers depended on my Pokemon's Pokedex # not their OT... (my chances would go up if I nicknamed them). Good times lol.

You used to be able to get into the Daycare itself in G/S/C (I don't remember if you can in HG/SS) and you could actually talk to your Pokemon and stuff. That would be a good thing to reintroduce in my opinion.

foxstory

I vividly remember getting Pokemon Red version one Christmas in the mid/late 90s. I spent the rest of the holiday break exploring the second floor, then the first, etc. of the player's house. TV: "Four boys are walking on railroad tracks... better get going!" I thought there was a secret message, but I never could find the tracks nor the "Front Door" to leave the house, just some floor rug that I ignored. I chose Squirtle as my starter, back when moves were called Techniques. I pronounced the word Tech-nee-cues.

Threw the Master Ball at gym leader Giovanni's Persian, also in Red gen 1. I think I caused Mewtwo to faint.

More recently, in Pokemon Black, my Ninetales used Will-o-wisp to burn Cobalion. Then he "fainted" as my attempts to catch him were unsuccessful and he kept losing HP. It turns out he runs away (this is seen with the sprite in the regular game view) up the walls of the cave. An old man came up to me and said that Cobalion might be found again, somewhere else, at a later time.

Zenithex

Avid Trader
You used to be able to get into the Daycare itself in G/S/C (I don't remember if you can in HG/SS) and you could actually talk to your Pokemon and stuff. That would be a good thing to reintroduce in my opinion.

I don't remember it past S/R/E since that was my first playthrough, that sounds really awesome though, I'd like to know my Pokemon's personal thoughts/opinions lol.

MDS777

The name's Riley
Back in G/S/C I used to think Delibird evolved into Lugia due to their similar cries.

I also trained my Machoke all the way to level 100 thinking it would evolve without knowing that it would only evolve by trade.

Vikings

Oracle
I use to think that Ghosts type moves had no effect on Psychic type pokemon. I never knew why but when I had fire-red and leaf-green I would never use ghost types against Sabrina lol

Only reason I could think of is if you played G/S/C and fought a Girafarig. Since it's part normal type, you could have used a ghost type move and found it to not effect him, thinking it was due to his psychic typing.

XX-SHADOW-XX

Sir Aaron's Lucario
I used to think you had to keep your starter pokemon with you forever.
I played R/B/Y when D/P had just come out (I found them at a flea market). I read the truck SS.Anne story on a glitch website and despite the website clearly saying it was FALSE I still tried to do it >.<
I also didn't know about shiny pokemon until HG/SS so I probably ran into one during D/P or G/S/C and never realised it T.T
Oh, and I glitched up my pokemon black when I got an action replay. I decided I'd use it once I finished the game. I kind of wish I didn't, as I ran into people I had no clue what they were saying (If I'd have played the game normally it would have made perfect sense T.T)