• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

bluueeyedrose

Trainer and Breeder
I did the good ol' I don't need any other Pokemon other than my starter to beat the entire game... Glad to say things have changed dramatically in the last 3 gens for me.

TrueRuzo

It was around the time when the anime was starting to show 4th Gen Pokémon when Diamond and Peral haven't been released yet. Because of that, I used to believe that I could hatch a Munchlax in FireRed. Now, it's pretty obvious that to get one I need to make a Snorlax hold a Full Incense.

burninator59

I never paid attention to stats until like Generation 5. Never understood why Gyarados had such a high attack but Surf didn't really do that much damage...

I thought (keep in mind I was about 5) that every single pokemon was named Pikachu. My art teacher corrected me. Then I thought that you could have no more than 6 pokes, so I caught a seventh -a shiny nincada- and I was like "Oh crap, I caught it." And I reset my game.

Taylor516

Just recalled another stupid thing I did as a child, I thought if you released pokemon that didn't appear in the wild, they would begin to appear in the wild and start a larger population/be able to be caught.... I released several rare pokemon because of this notion -_-

I thought PokeRus was dangerous and once when my Rayquaza got PokeRus I released it. I still regret it.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Time to go back into nostalgia:
I had a level 80 Golbat that FINALLY evolved into Crobat in Silver. I never understood the friendship system an figured it was just a high level requirement. I could also sweep the Elite Four with the same Crobat with Return.
I always thought there was a Grass-type Eeveelution previous to Gen IV.
I thought the everstone was the key to evolving Togepi.
Thought Dunsparce was actually some sort of ultimate pokemon due to its rarity.
Thought Corsola evolved into Sudowoodo. In my defense, it does sort of resemble a tree...albeit pink.
Thought you could catch a ghost in Lavendar Town through a glitch before the Silph Scope.
Thought the Red Gyarados was unique in that it was the only pokemon with a palette swap. This was until I found out what shinies were as a whole in Gen III.
I used to only play with my starter alone.

That is all I can think of.

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
Besides basically using Blaziken for most of Sapphire and never switching pokemon to allow them to gain EXP, which results in me never being able to beat the Elite Four in Sapphire. That's it really D:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I saw a shiny espeon that a trainer had in silver, then restarted my game because I thought it was broken

I don't remember of that trainer? Where were him?
Anyway, quite the same happened with me when I was playing Platinum. I remember facing a trainer that had a shiny Gligar and I thought my game was hacked. However, I just let it be and killed the Gligar with my overleved Monferno while in Rain (you guys shoulf remember that route, before that town whose name I forget, that alsio had a gym leader which was specialized in Fighting-types).

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
In gen 2 and 3, I always thought that going up in levels was the only thing that made Pokemon stronger, so I used the old clone method to get hundreds of rare candies and proceed to get my freshly caught legendary Pokemon to lvl 100, so they would be... in my mind... COMPLETELY PERFECT!
Genius!

Also, sadly up until Gen 4, i never understood what Vitamins did, or the notion of EVs, so I would buy heaps of them and proceed to give all my pokemon 10 of everything and 1 of HP UP.

Last edited:

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
In Soulsilver, I thought if I find Shiny leaf for pokemon what haven't evolved yet, it will evolve to shiny form.
Then realized, that didn't work -.-

Also I didn't catch legendaries at first times when I was playing, because I thouhg it will make everything weird and legendaries are too legit to capture.

fitzy909

Just another guy
In gen 2 and 3, I always thought that going up in levels was the only thing that made Pokemon stronger, so I used the old clone method to get hundreds of rare candies and proceed to get my freshly caught legendary Pokemon to lvl 100, so they would be... in my mind... COMPLETELY PERFECT!
Genius!

Also, sadly up until Gen 4, i never understood what Vitamins did, or the notion of EVs, so I would buy heaps of them and proceed to give all my pokemon 10 of everything and 1 of HP UP.
i know what you mean. i never knew anything about EVs or vitamins until gen 5. so i too would waste those items. i felt so stupid afterwards. Also, in the gen 2 and 3 games i never saved before battling legendaries, so i usually ended up killing them.

SURSKITS

Water Trainer
My very first game was Sapphire, I was young and only trained my starter (Torchic). Despite the stupid idea, I bet the pokemon league just using it in one shot.

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
Hmm, I was pretty stupid in some situations. Started playing when I was five, so . . .

Red: Thought the Seafoam Islands led to the Pokemon League when I had 5 badges.
Blue: partook in the "my starter beats all" mentality. Had a level 76 Blastoise--only.
Yellow: Same with Blue--level 88 Pikachu.
Crystal: Killed Raikou, thought it would come back.
LeafGreen: Encountered a shiny Meowth, ran away.
Diamond: Encountered shiny Buizel, thought it was glitched but kept it until I decided to start a new game and wiped all my Pokemon out--migrated legendaries included.

ViniciusXP

Pokémon Ruby: Tried to use my Master Ball on another trainer's Gyarados.
Pokémon Emerald: Was sleepy and ran away when I encountered a shiny Mightyena, one of my favorites Pokémon T-T.
Pokémon LeafGreen: Spent like 5 days in Pokémon Mansion trying to discover the truth about Mew, Mewtwo and Dr./Mr. Fuji.
All games until Gen. V: Tought my GBA/DS was broken after my Pokémon was poisoned.

Last edited:

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
-Used to think Ghost and Grass were weak to Psychic xP (even during gen V)
-Spent a lot of time trying to get the Emerald Rocket to fly me to the moon
-Wasted an entire Tuesday trying to SR for a shiny Rayquaza in Emerald... then found out the broken RNG and dead internal battery wouldnt allow me to catch one.
-I thought that Zygarde, Xerneas, Yveltal and Mewtwo together could open a new entrance in Zygarde's mountain, the upper entrance, but nothing happened...
-Magcargo and Slugma are gen III pokes :p
-In Blue, I didn't speak English yet, so instead of putting Butterfree in my box I accidentally released it and I was so sad when I couldn't find it in my box anymore ;-;

Last edited: