• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
I completely ignored the use of status moves.
I still do this, to an extent. I never saw the point of wasting a turn setting up, when most of the time my pokemon couldn't take a hit of any kind. They can these days, but I still prefer to charge on ahead with my pokemon unaltered. It catches several opponents off-guard, as they don't expect this to happen.
I also just ran with my starter and whatever I caught off the last few routes. Until White 2. In retrospect, I'm surprised that I made it through those games.
Oh yeah, and my Infernapes on Platinum and Pearl both used Ember, Flame Wheel, Mach Punch and Rock Smash. The one from Pearl was level 88 and the Platinum one was level 100. It's cringeworthy. Yet I still have them both on my Y version. One of them has the exact same moveset.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Because of gym type disadvantages.

Even then I can easily defeat a Pokémon with not very effective moves if my Pokémon is over 30 levels more than the opponent's.

My stupid thing I did when I was a kid was that I was too scared to press the button behind the poster in the Celadon Game Corner. I was afraid that my Pokemon were going to be stolen. This was in Blue.

penguin100

Avid Pokemon Master
Probably the stupidest thing I did was when I traded my cousin my diamond version for a copy of animal crossing: wild world.
I had never played a game in the AC series before, and I don't know why I even thought of giving away diamond. the worst part is that when I saw him next, a few months later, and tried to get it back, I learned that he lost it and had a copy of pearl. I was heartbroken :(

MachoCheeze

Uh-huh, honey
I really believed the rumor that you could go to space to capture Deoxys in RSE.

Also there was this kid I knew in elementary school who would feed me bogus rumors of things like Mewthree, a Cloyster evolution, and things as such.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Probably the stupidest thing I did was when I traded my cousin my diamond version for a copy of animal crossing: wild world.
I had never played a game in the AC series before, and I don't know why I even thought of giving away diamond. the worst part is that when I saw him next, a few months later, and tried to get it back, I learned that he lost it and had a copy of pearl. I was heartbroken :(

I'm so sorry, I really am hoping you had no valuable Pokémon in there.

If you did, that makes me feel even worse for you.

I would only give away things I'd never use again. (such as movies I used to love, but don't anymore.)

Ketaru

I wanted to rename all my Pokemon. Pokemon that could not be renamed were, in my mind, worthless. So when I got a legit Mew on my Pokemon Red, I hated that I couldn't rename it, unlike my Gameshark'd Mew. Similarly, I couldn't understand why anybody would want to trade Pokemon.

isabelmagnolia

Agent Virginia
I used to think that, in Heartgold and Soulsilver, when the Pokewalker is communicating with the DS, if you interrupted the communication at the right time the pokemon would come into real life. I used to spend a good extra 10 minutes doing that a lot.

PikachuFan91

I thought pressing L and R repeatedly in Pokémon FireRed Version would increase the rate of capture. Additionally, I thought that the male symbol was for female Pokémon and vice versa, so I released my traded Nidoran (Nidorina?) in FireRed due to it "being a girl's name".

EDIT: I also thought Lucian was a girl.

Last edited:

Tyrantrum

I thought pressing L and R repeatedly in Pokémon FireRed Version would increase the rate of capture. Additionally, I thought that the male symbol was for female Pokémon and vice versa, so I released my traded Nidoran (Nidorina?) in FireRed due to it "being a girl's name".

EDIT: I also thought Lucian was a girl.

For me, I thought pressing 'B' repeatedly after the ball was thrown would increase it. I think every time the ball would rock, I would press B to try to strengthen the ball somehow...I think I still do this.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Ok, here comes something incredibly stupid I thought when I was younger. Now that I'm older I know it can't be any further from the truth.

Anyway, I thought that if I have a Pokémon of a much higher level than the Pokémon I'm about to capture, that would somehow increase the chance of catching it.

Don't ask me why I thought that, I was a moron back then.

Starlightt

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I used to think that, in Heartgold and Soulsilver, when the Pokewalker is communicating with the DS, if you interrupted the communication at the right time the pokemon would come into real life. I used to spend a good extra 10 minutes doing that a lot.

I'm sorry, what? LOL.

EGGS

I was the dumbest kid. My first Pokemon game was Sapphire and I wasted no time getting a Torchic. I blazed through dialogue and thus missed how to catch a Pokemon. I had no idea. Not that I cared. Me and my Blaziken (named Bella with a female sign after it because for some reason while nicknaming it, I thought this would change its gender) destroyed everything despite my complete apathy for status inflictions, stat-boosting or lowering moves, or pesky, "It's not very effective..." messages. During my fight with Kyogre,we were both down to red and I'd never lost before, so I was getting a little frantic. I had no idea it was a legendary Pokemon (see above skipping of dialogue) and no idea I could catch it. So, desperate, I threw this 'Master Ball' thing at it, legitimately surprised when it worked *facepalm*. From there, I raged at the waterfall to the E4 because I had no idea where to find the HM so I gave up. You can't blame me there; it was pretty secluded.
I must've had a Pokemon that knew Surf and Fly, but strangely, this is the way I remember it.

I used to hide my figures all over the garden and then I would go out and 'encounter' them. Then i would 'catch' them (put them in my pocket). I suppose you could say that I caught 'em all.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
First of all I don't like how this thread is titled "Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid", because in my opinion adult Pokémon fans are even capable of doing something stupid. It should be titled "things that you thought/did with pokemon when you were younger".

Anyway, I overleveled my Emboar in Pokémon Black because I thought I was gonna fight the champion and that he would have these level 70s Pokémon, but I was wrong.

As it turned out I didn't fight the champion at all, but can you really blame me? In most games you fight the champion after beating the elite four. Still a stupid decision, I will admit that.

AwesomeGrovyle

Local Cryptid
For me, I thought pressing 'B' repeatedly after the ball was thrown would increase it. I think every time the ball would rock, I would press B to try to strengthen the ball somehow...I think I still do this.

Yep... I used to do that too. Actually stopped doing that like a year ago. ;-;

Well, two things that I can remember were I never looked to see if a move was physical or special and if the Pokemon was a wall, physical attacker, or special attacker before I taught it a move, and that Pokemon literally died when they fainted. You should've seen me when one of my Pokemon fainted for the first time... I shortly learned after that they weren't dead. Just they fainted and you could go to the Pokemon Center to revive them or use a Revive or Max Revive to revive them. And I was a smart kid... ;-;

This isn't necessarily stupid, but hilarious in hindsight.

When I was a kid playing Platinum, I had a team of six level 100s that I had grinded against the Battleground trainers and the Elite 4 rematches. I was proud of this team's unique little theme, which was three legendaries and three water types. The team was Palkia, Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Blastoise, Gyarados, and... WHISCASH. I think I incorporated it to beat Electric types, which might have been a smart move on my part but the fact that my prized team was a bunch of beastly Pokemon and a Whiscash is kind of funny,

Keep in mind that I knew about Smogon at this time. I had created a legitimate Ubers rain team on the side. I had knowledge of the DPP metagame yet created an in-game team that put Whiscash among the likes of Rayquaza and Mewtwo.

SirCallisto

-I had a Houndoom hold an HP Up, thinking it would heal him in battle.
-Stat raising moves like Swords Dance were useless to me.
-I really believed Pokémon were real.
-Every Pokémon of mine had terrible movesets.

I was not a smart child.

Ajduk

To this day I believe that holding down B during damage calculation will decrease the damage that I take xD