• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

MattySadler

This is so cringe worthy, I can't believe I'm going to share it.

Ok, ok, ok, it was 1999, during the original series' first run in the UK, so I was only about 8 or 9, don't judge.

One of my best friends at Primary School used to lie a hell of a lot, but for some reason I always believed him, don't ask me why.

He told me once that he had found a secret American channel that showed Pokemon episodes months before they broadcast over here, and in these episodes Ash had a, and I quote, "level 35 Wartortle." I think some of his other Pokemon he claimed Ash had included an Ivysaur and a Hitmonlee, though I can't remember exactly what he said.

I think at this point in reality, Ash only actually had Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeotto, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle and Krabby.

He also told me Ho-Oh's name was Rainbowtross (this was before Ho-Oh had officially been named) and Marril's was Pikablu (before it's debut).

-----------------------------

Obviously thats all anime related. Game related, we all believed the Mew under the truck thing. I think I might've saved game 365 times to get the S.S. Anne back or something. Can't remember exactly.

Last edited:

Juanito

Ace Trainer
I killed a suicine in pokemon silver while training my Meganium. Not releasing I couldn't capure it after that. In Pokemon Red I used the missingno glitch on cinnabar island. Eventually it corrupted my game that I lost the save and every time I save and go back on the save was erased.

KalosChampion

The first time Faint Attack was used on one of my Pokemon, it happened to knock the Pokemon out. I then believed that Faint Attack always made your Pokemon faint. (Hence the name)

StrykerX7

TRUMPETS BE PRAISED
I caught a Zigzagoon using the Master Ball I found in the Aqua Hideout. Also, I knocked out Regice without saving before going on to fight it.

learned about natures, restarted my game to get good natures.
learned about IVs, restarted my game to get good IVs.
learned how to actually EV spread, restarted my game and made EV spreads.
learned how to properly distribute EVs, restarted my game and re-EV spread.
learned about Ev reducing berries, face palm.
thought about the entire process I went through to get where I am at now, face palm.
HELLA DUMB BRUH!

Last edited:

Kingzard

Shiny Hunter
I used to think that Lugia was the love-child of Articuno and Zapdos. I didn't think Moltres was involved because Lugia lived in the sea and Moltres was made of fire. This was back when the Movie 2000 came out lol.

Tangeh

Besides the classic kid stuff like believing stat increasing / decreasing moves were utterly worthless and giving awful movesets to pretty much everything? (Charizard with flamethrower, fire spin, fire blast, and cut? Totally viable.) Took a long time for 5-year-old me to figure out how to leave the house, but to be fair I was five, never played a video game before, and didn't have older siblings or friends to help. It's a miracle I took to it as quickly as I did.

I would've been around 7 years old when gen II came out. I had gold, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to find lugia. I had the silver wing, and I had whirlpool, and I knew that Lugia was in the whirl islands... I spent probably hours surfing around that area. I concluded that I couldn't find it because I had gold version instead of silver - which is sort of funny considering this was before legendarys became version-exclusive. To this day I have never caught a lugia and have no idea where I went wrong...

Oh, and also in gold, when your rival says his name is "???" I thought that was literally his name. I told the police officer his name was "???" and thus he was called that the entire game and I always wondered what his real name was. xD

In gen III my friend told me that if I bred a vileplume and bellossom together, the offspring would be a treecko. I tried. I got an oddish. :<

Last edited:

RapidashRocks524

Want Mega Rapidash!
Thought that Slowbro evolved into Slowking

Thought that any Pokemon that didn't evolve was Legendary

This one is the fault of a really mean cousin of my friend: Ashes in our world were the result of Charizard burning Ash to dust, and that's why they were called Ashes

Thought that Unown were American Exclusive because they were in English

Thought that all teams in the games were just Rocket in disguise and that at the end of the game, two grunts would come up to you and reveal themselves to actually be Jessie and James

Killing the Snorlax in Soulsilver. My brother did it too, and we both also managed to catch the Sudowoodo. -_-

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Getting lost in rock tunnel without flash and saving inside the cave. Cried to my dad about it but did actually manage to find my way back out again.
Trading with my friend using her slightly dodgy link cable, corrupting my game meaning I had to restard my first red file wit my lv 100 charizard, mewtwo, zapdos, articuno and all 150 pokes collected
- Then pretending to see my old charizard from that game flying up in the sky, set free but still watching over me
Repeating the two point above.
Thinking normal types were "star" pokemon
Thinking victreebel was called weezingbell

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
Right now the only thing I can think of is thinking that Lickitung was a gen 2 pokemon and arguing over my older brother about it XC

Now that I think about it more, I remember some things I thought were untrue about typing due to gen 1 pokemon games. Like, I used to think they made Psychic types way more OP in terms of what they are actually super effective against. Like due to most grass types also being poison types & the only ghost types around were poison types, I thought Psychic & Ghost were super effective against each other (-_- what would be the point in that...) & that they were also super effective against grass types. I actually argued this also with my older bro & went out of my way to fight a Tangela to prove him wrong(but I was pretty embarrassed to find out otherwise), because back then it just made since for Psychic to be super effective to grass types to me for some reason.

Last edited:

Murder Doll

Button Presser
Hmm...well I just remembered a rather stupid thing I did while breeding in B2

I wanted a Hippodon with Slack Off so I bred one with the nature I wanted, EV trained it, leveled it to 50, AND THEN went to it's serebii page....and found out it was an egg move...

So needless to say I had to redo the entire process.

I just remembered a few more stupid things I used to do in Pokémon:

-I used the previously-mentioned A and B trick, before adding Down because someone claimed that. I still do that today as a force of habit.

-I didn't know shinies were that special, so when I found a shiny Gulpin, I returned to the route I found it on later in Emerald, thinking I would find another if I stepped on a certain tile. Then I got rid of my Ruby. I still regret that.

-I always used offense moves, so that my Cyndaquil's moves in PMD:EoT were Flamethrower, Flame Wheel, Dig and Tackle. Not kidding about that last one.

-Used my Master Balls on Articunos, Absols, and all manner of more common Pokémon. I learnt after a while.

-I was, for some odd reason, afraid of the Poison status and never played Blue after it happened to my Blastoise. I must have thought it would refuse to battle for me if it fainted again or something.

-This is something that happened recently (and still does), but as I like to use Pokémon I like competitively, I often end up with an entire team of five sweepers and one tank. I've tried to fix that in my most recent team, though.

-Also recently- I entered the level 100 faction of the Battle Tower in Sapphire to find myself massively overlevelled... And by massively overlevelled, I mean that my highest levelled Pokémon was a level 53 Banette in a group of level 100s. (Don't ask how I defeated the Champion's level 58 Metagross.) I should have probably seen it coming, but I didn't.

On that topic, I also taught some of the TMs I needed for my planned team to my ingame team.

-Another current thing of stupidity- I'm terrible at creating movesets, but I refuse to use Smogon's help. The result is as expected.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
-I didn't know shinies were that special, so when I found a shiny Gulpin, I returned to the route I found it on later in Emerald, thinking I would find another if I stepped on a certain tile. Then I got rid of my Ruby. I still regret that.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of shinies myself.

To me they are nothing but miscolored Pokémon.

I know they're rare though, but yeah. I don't find shiny Pokémon to be anything special myself. The only difference between shiny and regular Pokémon is the color and that's it.

JohnBurgundy

I used to think that Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos all merged together to form Lugia.

I thought that when the "neo" series of Pokemon Cards came out, with gen 2 pokemon, that they were all rare, because my friend told me such.

All offensive movesets pretty much until I was 23.

Not realizing HM moves were permanent, and playing through the game with a Cut Charizard.

When I started collecting the cards, I had all Topps cards and thought they were so cool until the kids with the real cards blatantly told me that mine weren't ****.

I played through Gen V.

I used Brain Boy to edit Pokemon in G/S. I had a flying Diglet just so I can see it on Pokemon Stadium. I also had flying Venusaur.

Having the power to edit the moves of any Pokemon I had to literally any move, thus being able to create perfect move sets, I basically had Mew and a bunch of starters/ cool pokes with Hydro Pump, Thunder, Fire Blast, Hyper Beam, thinking that these were the best sets.

Not knowing what STAB was until I was 22.

Having a full team of Rattattas because they reminded me of my dog.

Not evolving my starter from it's first for to it's second until it was in its 30s and nearly ready to lvl up to final form. Someone told me that unevolved pokemon level up faster. I did this till I was 23, when someone on my last deployment pointed out to me that it was false. That's right, we played pokemon in the desert.

Assossiating pokemon types with the types of their cards instead of the actual types. So Gengar was psychic, rocks and grounds were fighting, etc.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Not evolving my starter from it's first for to it's second until it was in its 30s and nearly ready to lvl up to final form. Someone told me that unevolved pokemon level up faster. I did this till I was 23, when someone on my last deployment pointed out to me that it was false. That's right, we played pokemon in the desert.

Though to be fair there is a good reason not to evolve a Pokémon immediately.

Most unevolved Pokémon learn a specific move a couple of levels before its evolved form.

And in some cases, like with Trapinch and Larvesta the evolved form doesn't learn the move they learn by level up at all.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of shinies myself.

To me they are nothing but miscolored Pokémon.

I know they're rare though, but yeah. I don't find shiny Pokémon to be anything special myself. The only difference between shiny and regular Pokémon is the color and that's it.

Yeah... I do like the aesthetic change, but it would be better if they still had great IVs like in Gold and Silver. Either way, I mostly regret it because of the rarity.