• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
I lost agians roxie and burgh in black 2 I'm supposed to never lose an NPC battle :/

Eclair~

ES member Eclair
Well, seeing how I've been with the games/anime since season 1 of Indego league and R/B for the games and seeing how up until X/Y I didn't know this, I guess this qualifies.

So, up till X/Y, I had no idea about IVs or what those markings were for. It didn't help that every guide (Back when I still bought them, oh how stupid I was back then) I had/saw never bothered to tell me nothing about it. So here I was, using all 6 IV boosting items (HP Up, Protein Carbos etc.) on my mons that I raised to be as strong as they can. (Competitive) The last item I used would be the 1 state I cared least to have increased and I'd always use them not long after catching/hatching them too! Again, going back to the guides and the games too even, all they ever told me was "Boosts this stat" so boy was I in for a wake up call when I stumbled across the page on this on serebii.net. (Thank you Serebii!)

The other stupid thing I did till recently was teach my mons moves that I liked vs. type advantage and other strategies without taking the mon's strengths into account. (In terms of if the mon is better at atk, sp. atk or both) So I ended up with a Shiny Gyarados from SS with the wrong nature that ups Sp. atk, with the moves Fire Blast, Thunder, Ice Beam and Hydro Pump. (If I'm recalling correctly) and incase you don't know, Gyarados has crap sp. atk (Even with a boosting nature) and excels at Atk. -_- Seriously! We need a Mega Gyarados that excels in Sp. Atk vs. Atk and one with Water/Dragon vs. Water/Flying or Water/Dark. -_-

Pink Harzard

So majestic
Thanks to the animé where almost every Pokémon calls it's own name, I thought Victreebell was named Aaaaah. Even though James called it by it's name, I just thought that James was too stupid to know Victreebel's real species name. ><

Miyue

Back when I was about 8, I remember trying forever to catch that dead ghost Marowak from the Pokémon Tower I:
I somehow managed to wander up the Pokémon Tower without a Silph Scope. When the ghost Marowak appeared, I couldn't fight it with any Pokémon, or run away. Solution? Use a Poké Doll. I was around 7 or so at the time.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why all of my friends had Marowaks, but I still couldn't find one, even after I had beaten the Elite 4 and Champion.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Thanks to the animé where almost every Pokémon calls it's own name, I thought Victreebell was named Aaaaah. Even though James called it by it's name, I just thought that James was too stupid to know Victreebel's real species name. ><

God, that made me LOL so hard! Thanks for the laugh :D though this is James we're talking about, so it's not really your fault

Mine was watching the anime before playing the games. The inconsistencies still make my head spin.

Last edited:

HM02gon

Waiting...
Making my Pokemon only know STAB moves.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
Way back when with GSC's inclusion of the Daycare, I thought frequently talking to your Pokemon at the Daycare would have higher chances of producing an egg instead of walking around like you were supposed to. Imagine my frustration when my Pokemon refused to pop out an egg in a timely manner! :p

HM02gon

Waiting...
I wouldn't exactly say that's dumb, most Pokémon benefit from them.

Yes, but I forgot to add the 2nd half.

Making my Pokemon only know stab moves... then

Getting really pissed when I my team wiped out by some battle facility team and have no idea why.

TheDragonKing

King of dragons

I thought a similar thing. From the anime I thought Seviper was called "Sir Viper". You can imagine my confusion when I actually came across one!

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Yes, but I forgot to add the 2nd half.

Making my Pokemon only know stab moves... then

Getting really pissed when I my team wiped out by some battle facility team and have no idea why.

Oh don't get me wrong, I do think it's a good idea to have at least one move that's not of the Pokémon's type, in case they have to deal with Pokémon that are strong against them for example.

But only having stab moves is far from dumb.

My Floatzel has ice punch and my Hydreigon has fire blast all the time. But I know that Floatzel does benefit more from aqua tail.

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
Actually thinking that experience was literally pronounced "EXP" (I got 3,215 EXP from that battle!)

But perhaps the worst thing I did (which I think tops everything here) was when I had my first game on the GameBoy Color (Gold), and didn't save the right way. Each time it asked me if it was alright to overwrite my saved file, I clicked No, and it just went to the main screen again. I thought that it was then saved, and turned my game off.

This process repeated for several months...never kept one of those bloody Sentrets...

AlbinoDino

Icy Swirls
Use to think water was super effective against steel, because I had an assumption that steel would rust (seeing as the game had alot of logic based upon the type's weaknesses/strengths.)

The Hermit

Lone Operator
^ lol similar experience I had of that was when using electric types on ground pokemon because logically it worked in the anime..

Also I just never wanted to use my Master all ever. It looked so pretty in my bag.

Silmiss

Dream Trainer
Also I just never wanted to use my Master all ever. It looked so pretty in my bag.
Same ^^
-Thought I could get Gallade in R/S/E
-Wasted time trying to find Buriedalive
-Thought fire was good against electric (Some of combusken's moves seemed to take care of them magnemites)
-Thought ice was good vs fire/water
-Overrated the legendaries
-Liked the lavender town theme until the internet ruined it for me q.q

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Use to think water was super effective against steel, because I had an assumption that steel would rust (seeing as the game had alot of logic based upon the type's weaknesses/strengths.)

Well, there are a lot of steel tanks in real life that are full of water, and these don't rust at all.

I was talking about things like 'Aim for the Horn!' and other stuff that doesn't work in the games. As I said, I was a kid :p

Yeah, I know it's a past mistake I just felt like pointing that out.