• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Hahaha I always thought you had to press "a"at a certain time just get it right.

Solitary Poet

I didn't play Pokémon as a kid, BUT when I first started playing I took the Pokédex entries literally. For example the Pokédex says that Pichu always accidentally shocks itself when using electric attacks, so I avoided using electric attacks when using Pichu.

KilluaGirl

Lil'chu
Hmmm...
Well something I always liked doing is having the battles play out in an epic anime style in my mind.
I remember specifically when I got Fire Red, I really wanted to get Suicune. I googled it and found this guy trolling (didn't know at the time) saying how I'd have to catch every
single unknown, a persian, and all this madness. So I tried my best and didn't find a Suicune. Worried that I did something wrong, I googled it again and found the actual
method. I felt like an idiot.
Also, when I had my first game, Emerald, I did the same thing with Latios/Latias.
However, I found the right answer. I ended up stumbling on another link that explained how Latios and Latias could have a baby pokemon and listed a bunch of specific steps.
Without thinking, I thought it was awesome and followed the plethora of diligent steps--which of course, did nothing.
Hmmm... I also did the press-B-every-time-the-pokeball-shakes thing.

DemonCode

Banned
I always seemed to throw my pokeballs at a gym leaders pokemon. Didn't work until I had one of those hacking devices. xD

Tangeh

I read and pronounced "kyogre" as "ky-gree" when I was a kid... for whatever reason. I still think "kygree" in my head when I read kyogre. -_-

What makes you think they're not? They don't allow for EV Training if you haven't already done that, but if you have than there's no difference.

I'd say they're useful here an ther whenever you pick them up.. I'm just saying when I used them with AR and trained my pokemon to Lv. 100 with them, Ur right about the Evs, but back then I didn't even know about ev training.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
I did quite a few stupid things as a kid. Primarily, I learned just about every new move I could, even if I ended up deleting something actually useful. Though in my defense, there were no Move Reminders in 1st Gen, and the game never went out of its way to explain a move to you, so if you didn't know any better, you would run the risk of passing up a very powerful move. Also, I once tried battling with a Magikarp. Went about as well as you'd think.

HM02gon

Waiting...
For the longest time I thought Grass was resistant to fighting and super effective against fighting. I also thought Axew was a grass type. So every time I ran into one I would use fire type moves against it.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
I once battled a Roggenrola with a Scraggy. I hit it with Brick Break, Sturdy triggered, it hits me with ONE Mud-Slap, and I keep missing and getting hurt by sandstorms, and Scraggy eventually faints. Here's the kicker: I had goddamn Faint Attack! So my Scraggy lost a very winnable battle for no good reason other than me being an idiot! God, I was pissed.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I used to ignore all status moves, because they didn't do any damage (I also wasn't aware of status moves that did do damage). I especially avoided any move that had anything to do with evasiveness, because I had no idea what evasiveness was.

Ironically, I am now a proud and avid staller.

Tactical Squirtle

I thought completing the ruins of alph would allow you to catch celebi. I wanted to get it so bad that I believed it and was mad when it didn't work.

JoeJoe Joey928

Intermediate Breeder
I believed that in the Sinnoh region (Diamon and Pearl) there were secret ways to get "MewThree" and up to "MewSix".. I also overleveled my starter when I first started on Fire Red. I didn't like the thought of going into a rock/ground gym with a fire type being equal levels as Brock. It was a battle I thought I was sure to lose, so I battle a bunch of Pokemon and got 15-20 levels higher than the gym rather than catching a different Pokemon to help XD

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
I used to save a minimum of about three times whenever something important happened "just in case"

I do that too! I always save at least twice before quitting.