• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

PT88

When I was a kid I never evolved my Charmander in Pokemon Red, because I thought if I evolved it, it would stop listening to me. Just like what happened to Ash in the anime

Two_Toned

Way back on my blue version, I trained my magikarp by using all the PP from splash, then using struggle to do all my damage for me, using a plethora of potions in the process. Did this from level 5 all the way up to level 15 for that Karp...

My friend who first got Red, and introduced us to it, brought the game round to my house one day. Three of us took turns playing it, just attacking and fainting rattattas and pidgeys with his Charmander, because we could not figured out how to get past the cranky old man with the catching tutorial (we had forgotten about being given Oaks parcel). We carried this on for roughly three hours.

I thought that poke'dex numbers were all stages of the same poke'mon, so you would get a Bulbasaur, who evolved into Ivysaur, then Venusaur, then Squirtle etc etc...

Due to the specific timings of my battles, I spent an embarrassingly long time believing that your starter evolved once when you beat Brock, then again when you beat Lt. Surge. Was not until I got poke'mon Silver version that I realised this was wrong (Due to playing Yellow, and Pikachu not evolving at all I didn;t realise my mistake on my second game).

As you can likely tell from the above, I did only train my starter for a long time.

I also was guilty of many of the classic mistakes. Psychic being super effective against grass, B+Down to catch, Poke'mon only being taught moves that fit heir typing, etc.

One time when I played Silver, I released my starter and caught six Pidgeys. I went through the entire game with those, only switching some of them out occasionally for HM slaves.

I did this because I felt like it.

Feline

Why?
Some guy gave me a cheat to clone Pokémon in Emerald. Tried it with a Pelliper and it worked, except I corrupted the data.

Also, another stupid thing I did was when I went through an "Anti Pokémon cause it's TAKING OVER MY LIFE" stage so I sold Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Diamond, Platinum, and Soul Silver to purge myself. That was back in February 2011. Two months later, I was like w/e I bought White. x_x

Do I win a stupidity award now?

Lilchupz

Lucario in Disguise
I was trying to evolve my Chingling in Pokemon Pearl when I was about 11, so I practically had it in my party for ages and ages holding the soothe bell, but it would never evolve. My friend had a hacked game where you could get 999 Rare Candies and all that, so I traded my Chingling over, thinking leveling it up would make it evolve eventually..
Haha, it got to about Level 90 and still didn't evolve. I was really confused, so I traded it back to my Pearl version and manually (going through the Elite 4 several times) leveled it to 100 (because child logic= thinking that it should evolve at 100).

Guess what? Never got my Chimecho. xD

It wasn't until I used the internet to find out that trading Pokemon across games resets the friendship.

HannahRAWRR

Pokemon Nerd
I called Ho-Oh Ho-Ho for a crazy long time (>.<)

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
When I was about 8, I was playing through Red (I'd not been playing Pokémon for long) and desperately wanted an Alakazam. I did not know at this point you needed to trade Kadabra to evolve it, so I fought every single trainer and Pokémon possible with this Kadabra so it could evolve. I think I got it into its early 80's before I finally gave up.

Everytime I think about that now it makes me feel like a wally :p haha

Rika24

Fire Pokemon Trainer
there are two things for me that i'm a bit embarrassed to admit. When i first got Blue version it took me some time to figure out how to leave the bedroom. The second is that for some reason i thought that i could only have 6 pokemon total, so i ended up with a team consisting of only Charizard, Butterfree, Pikachu, and i think Pidgeot, wanting to keep spaces open for Vulpix and Eevee ^^;

I'm sure I said this already, but I wasn't a huge player of the games when i was younger.

Saying that, I almost did something stupid recently: I almost forgot how to cancel evolution.

A Kirlia I had in OR was going to evolve, and I was like "No! I don't want you to evolve in to Gardevoir!" At that moment I remembered you had to press B to cancel it.

Oh boy. One stupid thing I did was that I would wind up focusing on one Pokemon on my team, and totally neglect leveling the others. This has ended especially badly in Emerald, with my Blaziken in the high 80's while the rest of my team is in the 40's.

Another stupid thing I did was that I would always use water-types against electricity, thinking that they could somehow "put out" the electricity like water puts out a fire.

I'm too embarrassed to go any further >.>

N00BYninja25

Ninja Boy
OK, here are two kind of sad/funny stories from when I was a kid.

My first game ever was Sapphire, as I played it when I was 5 years old at my summer camp. I had this awesome counselor who taught me how to play Pokemon, what was going on (Couldn't read yet), and where to go. Without him I would have never beat it. There was only one problem. He forgot to tell me what the Master Ball was. By the time I got to Kyogre I had no idea why I didn't have one and had to use about 70 great balls to catch it. I didn't know about lowering the health because he told me to mash the a and b buttons to catch Pokemon. So, I probably used the Master Ball on a Pidgey.
I got my Blaziken from Sapphire to level 100 and it was one of my best Pokemon. Then when Diamond and Pearl came out I wanted my old Pokemon in the newer games. I didn't want to wait until I beat the games so this older kid at the YMCA after school program told me he would trade them into his game. He did. Then he left. He Never Seemed To Remember his DS Again After That. R.I.P My Original Pokemon on some dusty cartridge that hasn't been used in years.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I really have no idea why the heck you even thought that. Ah well, at least you now realize you thought something stupid.

Will you quit coming on to this thread and questioning the thought processes of children? Seriously, the thread is about things people did when they were KIDS and are coming here because they realized and admitted it was not a smart thing to do. You saying "I don't know why you would think something so stupid" is really annoying. Quit mocking everybody.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Will you quit coming on to this thread and questioning the thought processes of children? Seriously, the thread is about things people did when they were KIDS and are coming here because they realized and admitted it was not a smart thing to do. You saying "I don't know why you would think something so stupid" is really annoying. Quit mocking everybody.

I apologize, the reason I do that is because I wanna discuss what the people are talking about.

If I came as annoying, I'll stop.

And it's not my intend to mock anybody either. Trust me, I have no pleasure doing that since I think it's wrong.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I apologize, the reason I do that is because I wanna discuss what the people are talking about.

If I came as annoying, I'll stop.

And it's not my intend to mock anybody either. Trust me, I have no pleasure doing that since I think it's wrong.

It's cool. I probably shouldn't have come off so strong and I apologize for that. I guess if no one else mentioned it, maybe I'm the only one that took it the wrong way. Sorry, man.

JirachiMaster

Jirachi Lover
I wasted an Ultraball on a Tropius because I thought Pokemon were caught based on size, not level. I think a hashtag is in order here: #EpicFail