• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

rolomite

When I was a kid, I used to neglect status moves completely, because all I needed was POWER! When I was around 12 I started to play the game smarter eventually.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Also, when I was a kid, I didn't know what save was so I ended up losing progress because it was in Japanese. Also because of it, I couldn't get out of Pallet Town.

Suzuya

Banned
I caught a shiny Pidgey once on Gold when I was 8 or 9. I didn't have any internet at the time so I just assumed it was some kind of glitch and threw it in the PC to avoid what I thought would corrupt my game.

Rip me.

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
Back when GSC was cool, I was only a kid and was figuring out how the Pokemon games work. And in those days, I had no idea how Eevee's friendship evolutions worked; I just assumed they were stone evolutions, but when they didn't work (and because the other stones were very limited in the games), I opted not to use Eevee. It wasn't until Gen 3 came out that I figured out how his evolutions worked...

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Not really from when I was a kid but... Up until today actually, I always just assumed Braixen was written and pronounced as "Braxien". I feel kinda dumb.....

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Not really from when I was a kid but... Up until today actually, I always just assumed Braixen was written and pronounced as "Braxien". I feel kinda dumb.....

I know people, as well as myself, had that problem too.

I also used to pronounce Dewott, Day-wott, until a friend of mine so...lovingly pointed out to me that it was Dew (like water) wott. By lovingly pointed out, I mean, "Are you freaking serious? No, no, n- NO. It's DEW-wott." :/ Ok.

lytenin

ELECTRIC TRAINER!!!
I remember my first time playing Blue, I came across a wild Magmar on Cinnabar Island, thinking it was a one-time rare Pokemon, I used the Masterball on it... Mmmhmm, I was stupid.

Ascended Dialga

For some reason, I used to pronounce Kyogre's named like "Kee-OH-gray" instead of "Kye-OH-gur".

SkyMew

^ That, except I sometimes pressed up and A too.

The best thing I can remember:

I opened the Item menu in Pokémon Red, then thought that when you chose Toss at the amount of Poké Balls, you could catch a Pokémon.

Bragatyr

I definitely did the press B as the Pokeball hit the Pokemon thing. I also had no idea how to train Pokemon in Red and Blue, but my biggest and goofiest decision was erasing Amnesia from my Mewtwo. Had no idea what the move did, and it just sounded stupid. What use could a move be that causes your Pokemon to forget?

Well...
First: I somehow lost to Lenora with an event Fighting Legendary (Keldeo) on my team.
Second: Believed every Mew rumor. I seriously thought Mew was catchable in Pokemon White.
Third: Thinking that BubbleBeam was the best move ever because it was on Keldeo's fourth move slot. It didn't forget it until I needed Surf...

When I got Heart Gold, I chose Chikorita.
I lost to Bugsy for a YEAR while my brother was killing everyone with a Typhlosion.
Luckily my Sandshrew saved me.
Praise Sandshrew.
I managed to beat Whitney the first try though.
When I got to Ecruteak, I spent two days catching Raikou.
I actually caught it...
And caught Entei as well.
So I guess I improved.

Kelde0

Ghost Leader
I only trained my starter.
Before every gym, I would catch a whole new team, except infernape. By the time I came to the elite 4, my strategy was to send I'm my really high level infernape until he died, use revive, send him back out, and continuously reviving every Pokemon so they were alive to revive infernape, every attempt at the elite 4 required about 40 revives. I only bought poke balls and revives all game.

Fozzie

King of the Gingers
In Diamond, I called my Infernape "Chim Chim", not knowing it would evolve at all.
Inferape = In-fern-ah-PEE.
In Platinum, I tried going through the game with Dawn's team in the show. And when that didn't work, beat the game without evolving my Piplup.

SpoinkyPearl

I'm not a kid anymore, but I've played Pokémon games actively for 10 years or so and I still can't remember some type weaknesses! It's starting to be a little frustrating and it seems that I'll never learn them all. When playing at home, I usually end up asking questions like "Is Steel super effective to Poison?" and my boyfriend answers, good thing that he remembers them correctly. But I'm always like: "Is rock super effective to ice? No? Why wasn't this fighting attack super effective with this Pokémon? Ghost and poison? No idea!". I do remember usual weaknesses, like Fire-Grass or Psychic-Fighting but when it comes a little more rare type matchups, I'm at lost. Like Fighting and Poison? I actually started to wonder that when I wrote that down, and I seriously have no idea. Well, I only play in-game which is good for me because in competitive battling I would be an easy catch to anyone.

//Have to add this story I heard once. I read this from another Pokémon forum years ago, but there was someone who couldn't figure out how to get out from Viridian Forest in FR/LG. So she/he just walked around the forest and levelled his/her Bulbasaur up to Venusaur until he/she finally found a way out from the forest. True, the forest might be a bit puzzling and labyrinth-like but I don't think it's not that difficult really.

Last edited:

Thepokehustler

PokeHustler
I used to think Pikachu was a good pokemon i guess based on the anime. Not to say its a bad pokemon but its just not as good as i thought lolz, needless to say there were many better options.. i also didnt evolve it to Raichu because of how good i thought Pikachu was. Good times :)

NotABeginningTrainer

I'm not a kid anymore, but I've played Pokémon games actively for 10 years or so and I still can't remember some type weaknesses! It's starting to be a little frustrating and it seems that I'll never learn them all. When playing at home, I usually end up asking questions like "Is Steel super effective to Poison?" and my boyfriend answers, good thing that he remembers them correctly. But I'm always like: "Is rock super effective to ice? No? Why wasn't this fighting attack super effective with this Pokémon? Ghost and poison? No idea!". I do remember usual weaknesses, like Fire-Grass or Psychic-Fighting but when it comes a little more rare type matchups, I'm at lost. Like Fighting and Poison? I actually started to wonder that when I wrote that down, and I seriously have no idea. Well, I only play in-game which is good for me because in competitive battling I would be an easy catch to anyone.

When my little sister started playing she would only play if I was watching because she didn't know type match-ups very well. I eventually decided to print out a type chart for her so she could play on her own. I'm not trying to be insulting in any way, but you could keep one handy to help with the more difficult match-ups. I still do a double take before remembering certain match-ups, so you're not alone.