• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
I pronounce phanpy like phan"fee"

1?!?

TheGOAT

Mac-Daddy
My first shiny to encounter was back in platinum, I was just running around with my high level pokies, lowest level was 56 pidgeot.

This was before I learned all the type matchups... My pidgeot knew all flying type moves...

I didn't even try for the shiny either, which makes me even more mad because it was my first, ever

It was a shiny machoke. Level 48. I have heard about agonies before so I knew to catch it, but little ol' me didn't realize flying was strong against fighting...

Aeriel ace taught me really quick.

SpoinkyPearl

Oh, I remembered another, rather funny one :D When I played Emerald, and Sapphire later on, I thought that Wallace had a jellyfish on his head 8D Well, if you look at his sprite art for example here, well I thought that the white hat is jellyfish's body and those blue hairs on the side of his face were tentacles :D I only kept thinking that it was weird but it also suit him pretty well since he was Water type trainer... Sadly, I don't remember how the truth eventually turned out. Maybe those older sprite arts just weren't that good or something :'D

HM02gon

Waiting...
Oh, I remembered another, rather funny one :D When I played Emerald, and Sapphire later on, I thought that Wallace had a jellyfish on his head 8D Well, if you look at his sprite art for example here, well I thought that the white hat is jellyfish's body and those blue hairs on the side of his face were tentacles :D I only kept thinking that it was weird but it also suit him pretty well since he was Water type trainer... Sadly, I don't remember how the truth eventually turned out. Maybe those older sprite arts just weren't that good or something :'D

I thought Wallace was a girl until I looked it up...last year.

SkyTheAbsol

Dark-Type Fanatic
wait that's not how you pronounce phanpy?

...welp

._. My life is a lie...

When Ruby and Sapphire were still new, a good majority of the people I played pokemon with said "Groundon" instead of "Groudon" because otherwise we'd forget it was Ground and not Fire.
And even then, we still forgot.

Tangeh

For a long time I thought that espeon evolved at night and umbreon evolved during the day. I realize this makes no sense and I always thought it was really weird. .-. Reason being I messed up the clock on my copy of Sapphire so the AM and PM were basically swapped. There was no day/night cycle so I never noticed. I got the evolutions ingrained into my mind though because I thought it was strange they were opposite of what they should be lol...

This happened when I first played Y, so it counts as recently, but I'll put it here anyway.

When I first ran into one of the legendary birds on the game (I think it was Zapdos, can't remember clearly at the moment...), when it did that sparkly effect before initiating the encounter, I though this was a new way to encounter shinies this gen.

SpoinkyPearl

I read some older posts of this topic just for fun, and I found this:

Anyway, I've done something stupid recently on AS.
I know, I know, this is a thread for stupid things we did as a kid, but it bares mentioning anyway.

I totally forgot that the Admin of Team Aqua was named Archie.
Guess what I stupidly named my player.

And I have to admit I've done the exactly same thing in my SoulSilver about 5 years ago :D I named main character Karen, since I thought she looked like Karen... and guess who come against me in the Pokémon League? And I was like "This can't be happening ._." since I hadn't looked before who are the members of Elite 4 in HGSS. It is also funny how league-Karen says something like "What's you name? Karen? How amusing." and it IS amusing really 8D I restarted the game later on, and this time I managed to avoid this failure.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Once I even thought that Eevee evolved into Leafeon using the Leaf Stone, which was really stupid. But when I knew how Eevee evolved into Glaceon, I was proven that the nonexistent Leaf Stone method was wrong.

Tin-Man

Professional Trouble
I used to think that type advantage was rendered moot if my Pokemon was a higher level. I then proceeded to get creamed but the Elite Four in Blue. Also, I used to think that when Oak's aids gave you items in exchange for how many different Pokemon you had, it was referring to the total number of Pokemon you caught, not the number of different species of Pokemon. Getting Flash was a pain in the *** for a nine-year-old.

xDarkNeko

Back when I had Emerald, I thought Pheobe was a water type trainer.
I thought you could get the gold symbol after beating the frontier brain only once.
I thought Lucario was dark and fighting instead.
I thought Staraptor was fighting and flying too. xD

stupid stuff?

Everyone at my school calls me stupid for completing pokestar studios, and for using Dunsparce frequently, and for taking a Magikarp at level 100 into the elite 4 and planning to use it, catching Giritina in a nest ball, not using a Max revive when you're in the middle of a battle and your down to the level 1 riolu (Thank god the Brozong missed. Riolu knocked its small hp out with iron tail. ) Hm..oh! Thinking that ground was super-effective against ice (I had a level 65 Toreterra going up against Candice.), tyring to kill a steel type with a pokemon that knew all poisin type moves. Letting my brother play my game, etc...

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Aww well, once thinking that Worry Seed's effect was permanent, even lasting after the battle.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That would be pretty cool actually.
Slaking and Archen could be fixed.

Remember that would also be cool with Regigigas, obviously (removes that Slow Start nerf).

katl

I used to think stat change decreases to my pokemon were permanent so I would always hate when they were done to my pokemon

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I used to think stat change decreases to my pokemon were permanent so I would always hate when they were done to my pokemon

This had happened to me and many other players of Pokémon. When the game said, '(insert Pokémon's nickname here)'s (insert stat here) won't go higher/lower!', it had really rang the bells for me. Then I realised how stat 'stages' work.

Last edited:

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Finally I can remember something interesting from my childhood.

I used to pick five random Pokémon cards and rely on them for being part of my dreams. That was such a waste of time, I'm glad I grew up from that ignorant mindset.

It did work, doesn't change the fact that I just wasted time doing that.