• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

RapidashRocks524

Want Mega Rapidash!
I put Cut on Entei when I caught it in Crystal. I subsequently re-thought my life.

I absolutely hate the move Cut. I had to waste a move slot on Meganium for it. At least HMs are actually useful in battle and used quite a bit overworld, but cut is just a terrible move and is used only a few times overworld.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Always teaching my fully evolved starter Pokémon Hyper Beam because I thought it was the most powerful move and I was totally unaware of STAB at that time.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
As a kid, I always thought that you couldn't beat the Elite Four without using a Legendary, even if all party Pokémon are Lv 100.

Thibideau

Beautiful Midnight
When I was kid I actually made a Pokemon board game from scratch. The idea was that you were trying to form a Pokemon Gang. You had to hire different types of people, and since I was a kid they were like Ninja's and stuff. You then had to go Pokemon hunting to get pokemon to equip on you gang and yourself. Then there was this map of a city and the idea was that each turn you could capture more of the city by having a bigger gang with more pokemon. If you were trying to have a gang member capture a point occupied by another gang then you would have to battle. I had rules where there could be multiple people gangsters involved in a battle so that you could defend or attack with multiple gang members. There was even rules to have the Gang members themselves fight. It was sort of a RPG strategy-ish type game.

I haven't thought of that game for years >> I wish I was still that creative.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Always believing in Mewthree rumors and spending tireless hours trying to find it. I remember it being so painful until I realised it didn't exist in game.

mfish139

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I had absolutely no idea what the Speed stat was as a kid and assumed that the higher it is, the more likely its moves will miss.

RDSP

I used to think that friendship levels were difficult, maybe impossible to retain after use of a herb, thus to this very day I don't use herbs at all.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I used to think that friendship levels were difficult, maybe impossible to retain after use of a herb, thus to this very day I don't use herbs at all.

I have also been quite stupid with friendship as a kid, too. I thought that friendship increased based on how long it has been in the team ever since it was caught, not step based.

RDSP

I have also been quite stupid with friendship as a kid, too. I thought that friendship increased based on how long it has been in the team ever since it was caught, not step based.

This is also what I thought when it came to friendship. They had to be in the team and walking around did nothing at all. In fact, I only learned of the fact that friendship increases by walking around literally about a week ago :/

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This is also what I thought when it came to friendship. They had to be in the team and walking around did nothing at all. In fact, I only learned of the fact that friendship increases by walking around literally about a week ago :/

Maybe that seemed to explain why it seemed that it was difficult to increase friendship. I think I learned of it more than 5 years ago. :p

Last edited:

The Master Chief

I remember being so frustrated when trying to evolve Pokémon with friendship when I was younger because, at the time, I thought friendship was based off the number of battles you had with that pokémon. Oh the time and energy I would've saved if I knew that wasn't the case.

RDSP

I remember being so frustrated when trying to evolve Pokémon with friendship when I was younger because, at the time, I thought friendship was based off the number of battles you had with that pokémon. Oh the time and energy I would've saved if I knew that wasn't the case.
I actually used to think something similar; I thought that friendship would raise when the Pokémon was used to battle.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I actually used to think something similar; I thought that friendship would raise when the Pokémon was used to battle.

Wait, that's not how friendship works? Well dang. I thought it was based on how many levels were gained between capture and present, along with battles and vitamins. LOL I learned something today.

Pokemon_Veteran

Poké Sage
One of the dumbest things I did was catch Missingno. It did weird things to my game, like making Mr. Mime immune to ghost-type attacks. Of course I didn't realize why until long after the fact.
Side note, I am curious if I can reverse it in a similar way which the thought itself is stupid.

The Master Chief

I remember one time when I just got Pearl version, a friend told me that when using the pc box, you can press release and that pokemon would walk around with you like in HG/SS. Thankfully, I only released a Kricketot.