• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I thought for an hour or two and came up with this really long list. Oops. I'm sorry to whoever decides to read all of it.
- When I had first gotten into Pokemon and hadn't seen the first movie yet, I thought Mew evolved into Mewtwo.
- Before getting to play the games, I misspelled and misheard some Pokemon names. Spelled Treecko as Treeko, thought Torchic was called Torchie, etc. (Ugh, I just looked at an old Neopets account I can't get into anymore and read "i love plosa and minum!" I can't believe I called Plusle and Minun that.)
- Before even hearing about the Lucario movie, I thought Lucario was what Arceus is.
- I saw a lot of posts on here mentioning not knowing Slowbro doesn't evolve into Slowking. I just recently looked through my boxes in HG/SS and found a Slowbro holding a King's Rock. Looks like I didn't know either!
- I used to think physical attacks were what didn't hit Ghost types.
- All the shinies I found myself in the past got dumb names because I was too excited to think carefully. When I found a Shiny Numel in Alpha Sapphire, I gave it a better name than those others.
- All of the early Pokemon I caught were given names in all capital letters.
- For a while I didn't know about checking if the Pokemon is a special attacker or a physical attacker before choosing moves.
- My first level 100 ended up being Charap the Chatot and for some reason I thought she was a lot stronger than she really is just because of that level.
- When I found a shiny Magikarp in Soul Silver, I got so excited that I shook the DS Lite until it froze and therefore I didn't catch it. My DS doesn't read games well sometimes if it gets bumped, etc.
- I used to believe there such a thing as Minulse and it could be obtained in Ruby and Sapphire. I don't remember what exactly the rumor I read said.
- I used to believe that in Gen 1 you could get Mew from beating the Elite Four a certain number of times. I'm pretty sure I read it on Wikipedia. o.o Someone troll edited! This was also when I did not own any Gen 1 game or even Firered/Leafgreeen, so I couldn't even try it myself.
- I used to think Pokemon Ranger could send a Manaphy to Emerald. I didn't even own either game when I heard this rumor.
- When I restarted a used Sapphire game so I could see how the story goes, I failed to find the Masterball on my first playthrough.
- When I first found a Flaaffy in Diamond, I thought it was shiny because it seemed like a too dark shade of pink. I don't think it took very long for me to realize I was wrong
- When I first saw a picture of Bouffalant, I thought it evolved from Tauros.
- When I first saw a picture of Alomomola, I thought it evolved from Luvdisc.
- When I first saw a picture of Minccino, I swear the official artwork was white... I was confused about it being grey in the final game and for a while I thought there might be a way to get a white one but I soon forgot all about it. To this day I cannot find that original artwork of Minccino that was white instead of grey and it's making me think I'm crazy.
- I heard a rumor that naming a Pokemon after another Pokemon would make it evolve into that. Now that I think about it, I was also told it was on early game copies only. I actually believed this and I can't remember who even said it.
- I thought I could get a Jirachi if I held down select while running in the grass around the snowy parts of Mt. Coronet. This is because I saw it in a video that didn't even mention they were cheating. What a mean trick!
- I used to believe Celebi and Gen 3's Missingno. could randomly be found in Ruby and Sapphire by an unknown glitch.
- I thought getting a bunch of Pokemon to level 100 with rare candies in Emerald was a good idea. It's not since they weren't getting EV training this way.
- I thought rapidly pressing the A button increased the chances of catching a Pokemon.
- I thought if I said "Gotcha" in the DS's Microphone, you would catch the Pokemon.
- I thought if I said "Dodge" in the microphone, the attack would miss.
- I thought telling a certain person at Jubilife TV a secret code would get me the 3 event items. Actually, this is how to get the Mystery Gift option on the menu.
- For a while, I had no idea how One-Hit KO moves worked. The description in the game didn't say anything about Pokemon levels effecting it.

Solid Cyndaquil

Drying Pan Wielder
I used my masterball in Pearl on a Pelipper (Either I was in a hurry or I really wanted a Pelipper)

Chaneque

Lanturn Lady
When I played Pokémon Diamond for the first time, I somehow got lost on the way to Snowpoint City. So I managed to train my Infernape to Level 80, without ever making it to Snowpoint. How was I so patient?!

I never used moves that didn't do damage, I thought they were pointless.

When a pokemon on my Diamond wanted to learn Belly Drum, I thought it was going to be a super powerful move. When I saw what it did, I thought it was really dumb.

I thought Throh would evolve into Sawk.

One time in Heartgold when I was picking my starter, I noticed that Chikorita looked different than usual. I picked it and found out it was shiny. I then got stuck on one gym leader and deleted the shiny Chikorita.

Me and my friends had this catching method that actually seemed to work (blind luck works wonders on a kid's mind) back in the day, copying the movements of the Pokéball after it was thrown (left tilt, right tilt, click becoming left trigger, right trigger, both triggers)

I also got super confused the first time I encountered poison outside of battle, got Pokérus and deleted the game (somewhat accidentally, somewhat thinking it was a game virus), and trained a Sceptile to Lv93 grinding in the Trick House in Ruby before teaching it Dragon Claw to take out the entire E4 and Steven using just this Pokémon (what can I say, I was like 8 and we had a connection)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
- When I first found a Flaaffy in Diamond, I thought it was shiny because it seemed like a too dark shade of pink. I don't think it took very long for me to realize I was wrong

I feel for you. At least in fourth gen you didn't have to capture the maybe-shiny just to see if it was shiny, you just had to see if it broke out and sparkled.

Nockturne

Playing through Red again reminded me that when I was a kid I read thirsty as Thursday and thought all you needed to do was wait until Thursday in real life to get into Saffron City...

nocturnal_nocturne

Chaos Incarnate
When I played Pokémon Diamond for the first time, I somehow got lost on the way to Snowpoint City. So I managed to train my Infernape to Level 80, without ever making it to Snowpoint. How was I so patient?!

Ohmigosh. This happened to me too. I don't know what it is about Mt. Coronet that makes it so easy to get lost, but...it just IS. I was less patient, I got really annoyed and shelved the game for a VERY long time XD

So, this one was back when I was about seven or eight years old.

I had just gotten into Pokemon, and thus did not know much about it, especially the evolutions.

For the longest time, I thought Combusken evolved into Moltres. It made sense to me. Both were bird-like in appearance and have the Fire typing.

So when I saw a Combusken evolve into Blaziken for the first time, I was like, "Wait, what?"

Anti Spiral

I had just gotten into Pokemon, and thus did not know much about it, especially the evolutions.

For the longest time, I thought Combusken evolved into Moltres. It made sense to me. Both were bird-like in appearance and have the Fire typing.

So when I saw a Combusken evolve into Blaziken for the first time, I was like, "Wait, what?"

I originally thought Fearow evolved into Moltres.

Flamer

Not a kid anymore but yesterday I accidentally made Pikachu forget Thunderbolt when teaching it Quick Attack on Yellow. Now have to wait till he's in the lv20s to learn another Electric type move. Gonna come back to bite me when I face Misty...

REMARCABLE

Not a kid anymore but yesterday I accidentally made Pikachu forget Thunderbolt when teaching it Quick Attack on Yellow. Now have to wait till he's in the lv20s to learn another Electric type move. Gonna come back to bite me when I face Misty...

Not kidding, same thing happened to me, but it was Thundershock for reference ;)

But Pikachu was rendered useless for me, so I opted to use my Nidoking who was waaaaay overleveled, if that doesn't work, get Bulbasaur for Misty
Good luck!

Nockturne

I thought Plusle and Minum evolved in Latios and Latias, based purely on the similar colour scheme. And that they must have had a middle form that made the over all design change less of a leap

banphook

Banned
I know this sounds dumb and probably weird, but when I was younger I had crushes on a few of the Pokémon. I thought some of the Pokémon were really hot. I sometimes used to wonder about kissing my Mawile, and the thought awakened a strange feeling inside me!

Compared with the confusion regarding evolutions in the previous post, this seems relatively minor. However, I once believed that that if you say "Attack" or "Hit" into the microphone when the Pokemon is confused or infatuated, it would actually perform its attacks without issues. It seemed to work, but it turns out it was just random chance and it was a coincidence that the majority of the attacks landed when I did this.

Majestic-Flygon

I did not understand the concept of Roaming Pokemon or the Masterball while playing Generation III games. I ended up suffering for wasting the Masterball on some other Legendary and struggle with catching Latias/Latios. Thankfully I gotten better by Generation IV

GDickie

I used to think Dunsparce evolved into Gligar and was annoyed it was taking so many levels to evolve XD