• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

John Trainer

John Trainer
I used the Master Ball as soon as I got it X_X haha big mistake!! XD

Nyter

Island Challenger
I used the Master Ball as soon as I got it X_X haha big mistake!! XD

Well Idk if that was the dumbest thing ever cause I preserve all my master balls and never use them... and if I can't catch a Pokémon with my ultra/poke/great/whatever balls (except Master) and I run out, I soft reset the game and try again while having like 8 Master balls. So maybe it's "dumber" to have Master balls and not use em' rather then to use one right away.

Krokketto Prime Danjal

Done with worldly lies
I too have Master balls unused in just about every game I own. I only remember using one in Diamond on a shiny Beldum that was going to defeat itself.

A dumb thing that I did was way back in Pokemon Yellow, after watching Ash's Pikachu use electric attacks to take down Brock's Pokemon in the TV show, in the game, I kept having my Pikachu repeatedly use thundershock on Brock's Geodude. Of course, nothing happened but I kept expecting it to do some damage until my poor Pikachu got tackled into oblivion; I had very little idea about the mechanics and thought the game would work just like the show.

PsychoKing47

I remember thinking when me and friend saw a shiny Zubat on her Emerald game that it was a glitch and she almost turned off the game to get rid of the glitch. Good thing I convinced her to catch it anyway. Other than that, the dumbest thing I've done was screwing up my save on Diamond with Action Replay when I was about 10 or so. Fun at the time, but I feel like an absolute fool looking back on it now. Oh, and the age-old thing of giving my rival a rude name just because I could.

I was so very stupid back then. In a way, I still am now, but not like that anymore. Not by a long shot.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I had the original Gold Silver and Crystal games. But then the batteries died, it said the file was corrupted and I wasn't aware of replacing it. I don't know exactly what happened to them. I think they were just thrown away. That was a stupid move considering they are quite valuable now.

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
When I first started playing the games back in the GSC days, I remember trying to catch Lugia in Silver in the weirdest way possible. I dunno why as a kid, I thought that my real-life environment and presence affected my chance at catching a legendary, so I tried catching him by heading to the dining room of my old house and then leaving my Gameboy on a spare chair after throwing any Pokeball at Lugia, while I ran to the kitchen to let the Ball do the rocking, and then come back to the Gameboy hoping it would've worked. Bear in mind, I was around 7 or 8 at the time.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
During my first playthrough of FireRed, I thought that the items like X Accuracy boosted stats when held and not used,so I gave Articuno that knew Blizzard an X Accuracy to hold to make said move less likely to miss.

I always thought that TCG booster packs contained a card of whichever Pokemon was on the front of the pack, eg if I picked up a Base Set booster pack with a Blastoise on it then I thought there would be a Blastoise in it, even though that was a very rare card.

My first Pokemon game was Diamond, and the night I got it I chose Piplup and played up to the first or second gym. Then I turned of my DS for a while. I started it back a few minutes later, but I had lost everything. I was so confused and proceeded to do the exact same thing again. I kept doing this until I randomly talked to the person at the bottom of Sandgem Town who tells you how to save your game. Were it not for that person, I'd likely still be running around Sinnoh resetting my game.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Okay I finally remembered another stupid thing that I used to thing when I was a kid. One of my friends convinced me that Missingno. was available in G/S/C and all I had to do to find it was surf up and down the small area just before you get on the S.S. Aqua to go to Kanto. I spent hours searching for one, and it depresses me to this day that I was gullible enough to fall for it.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
here are some of mine.
In Diamond i wasted my Master ball on a Graveler
in Diamond i also only leveled up my starter and ignored other pokemon so in the league i had level 92 Torterra and no other pokemon were over lvl 10
In Diamond i quit battle againts shiny Psyduck because i tought that it was a glitch
In Heart Gold i also only leveled up my starter

Chloe Cassandra

Long time no see.
When I heard about Manaphy breeding with Ditto to get Phione eggs, I thought you could do the same with Mewtwo and Ditto to get Mew eggs, so I put them in the daycare in Diamond and waited so long because I didn't understand the phrase about they liked to play with other Pokémon instead of each other. XD

When I was really young, I used to pronounce Magikarp as 'magna-crap.' My cousins reinforced me by yelling at me to say that it was pronounced 'magic-arp.' XD

Last edited:
- Missingno would be a real pokemon

- Thinking that if my stats were lowered by a attack, the pokemon would loose the stats for ever (and afterwards banning them to the Computer bcause i thought their stats must be widely under 9000 (lol)

- That Poke Levels would go past LVL 100 (but i was scared of this coming, cus ive seen it ending up in "Charizard - lvl 754 - 250 DV" and things like that :D so thanks GF for not giving us more levels, 100 is enough. 100 is just fine

- Thinking "I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST, LIKE NO ONE ELSE BEFORE" - is more than just some lyrics - its an attitude
(tho i kinda still think that, if you do something....why would you do it, when you dont wanna be the best?)

Last edited:

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
When I was first playing red back in 1999 I thought to get out a Pokemon from the box you had to release it

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
When I was learning about all the new Pokemon from Generation 4 on the internet, (I didn't own any Pokemon games yet and I don't even know if Diamond and Pearl were out yet) one website said that Shellos was supposed to evolve into Lapras. It said something like "Used to be Lapras's baby form". All this ever did was confuse me. Of course, no official sources had ever said it was supposed evolve into Lapras, but I didn't know that back then. I was too young to know any better.

Kanto_Caper

Oh boy, where to start...

I watched the anime before I played the games, so the first time I played Pokemon Red I thought my Charmander could win against Brock's Rock Pokemon through sheer willpower or exploiting a weakness. After limping my way out of the Pokemon Center for the tenth time, I broke down and caught a Nidoran to Double Kick them to death.

Actually, the very FIRST game I played was Pokemon Silver (bought a Gameboy Color for it and everything!), but I couldn't figure out how to switch the first Pokemon in my roster out with a different Pokemon, so I was frustrated that my starter would always come out first and mop up all or most of the experience points, leaving it over-leveled and my other Pokemon under-leveled. I played through the whole game with each starter before I thought to ask one of my classmates how to switch the first slot with a different Pokemon. I was so embarrassed when they showed me the easy way I'd overlooked.

When Gen 3 games came out, I thought Torchic would learn a steel claw move the way Charmander does in the FR/LG remakes, so I kept leveling up waiting for it to learn a Steel move to use against Roxanne. Before it evolved (where I would have discovered Combusken learns Double Kick), I broke down and caught a Lotad, then it got its under-leveled tail kicked time and time again until it evolved into a Lombre, when I FINALLY won my first Gym Badge at the 36 hour mark. I was so embarrassed by this mistake that for years after I would speed run through all my games, not wanting to take forever like I did on that first Pokemon Sapphire playthrough.

Anime-wise, before Johto Pokemon were officially revealed, I believed the rumor that the round mouse Pokemon (Merrill) was called "Pika-Blue," a new, alternate evolution to Pikachu.

Last edited: