• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Bambo

Didn't know what shiny pokemon were so started a new game when my charmander was this weird color and this weird sound played when it came out thinking it was a glitch. It was the first pokemon to appear in a brand new leaf green game. It wasn't until later where my brother kept running into these weird gold poochyenas did we learn what a shiny pokemon was.

Utopianopal

Time Crashes
I legit used to think fire was good against water umm I don't know why???

Ascended Dialga

For some reason, I used to think that Magnet Rise would only work if the user was Electric- or Steel-type.

GreenApple

Cherish the Day
For me...

I guess I didn't always think about type advantages and disadvantages. As a result I got a lot of them mixed up, and it made for some shocking battle experiences. (Yellow and Crystal)
Believed Missingno was a real Pokemon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Legit tried to breed Latias and Latios. And tried to find Celebi in Pokemon Sapphire. Because I listened to internet rumors back in the day

BTW, that day was about the same time I joined Serebii

Sprat1993

On Pokemon Blue/Red (Cant remember specifically) I caught a Growlithe with my master ball

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
I used to think Special Attack and Attacks were determined by the move types that they were.

Earendil

Way back in the Gold, Silver, and Crystal era, I thought that moves which temporarily lowered stats in battle (like Intimidate) did this permanently. Now, of course, I know better!

SOLARISENSHI

telekinetic Trainer
Does anybody remember the old rumor about the town you could supposedly go to after you beat red and blue where people traded pokegods someone even provided a fan-made Sprite of the town which is basically a clone of Celadon City but instead of some of the buildings were small all the buildings or at least 3 or 7 werected alternate versions of the department store

MrHoopa

Hoopa is OP
My first time seeing a floatzel in diamond, It was to low level so I killed it. Little did I know it was shiny. Oh, also, recently, I accidentally killed cressilia in ORAS without saving beforehand.

AmethystLeslie

I thought Scyther was a Gen 2 Pokemon, and Scizor was Gen 4.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
I tought Skarmory, Slugma, Magcargo, CHinchou, Lanturn and Mime Jr were Gen 3.
I tought Houndour, Houndoom, Donphan, Kingdra, Magby, Elekid, Tyranitar, Togepi and Wobbufett were Gen 1
I was insane LOL

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I used to think that Togepi was the most powerful Pokemon ever but it was just hiding it.

I totally did, too! I think it was because they built it up in the anime so much.

I also fell under the Pikablue spell when Gen II was just starting to be advertised. My grandpa even bought me a Japanese card with Marril on it, but, since I couldn't read Japanese, I just started showing it to people as Pikablue.