• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I also specifically remember always thinking fire was super effective against grass. ALWAYS thought Charizard was the perfect counter to Nidoqueen and Nidoking... If whoever I was battling on pokemon stadium chose first, I'd always choose Charizard to counter their nidos, if chosen.

Fire actually is super effective against Grass. But Nidoking and Nidoqueen are not grass types...

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
I did a lot of stuff as a kid...
-I used to pretend I was the Pokémon when I was battling and thrash around on my bed.
-I always thought that Splash did do damage, and it was just ineffective against the opponent.
-After playing Mystery Dungeon, I was convinced Dusknoir was a legendary.
-I remember repeatedly trying to find Primal Dialga in Diamond.
-I had a crush on Jasmine (I still do X)
-I always thought that Pikachu learnt Volt Tackle through level up.
-I remember trading my brother a Mewtwo holding Metal Coat, hoping it would become the Battle Armour one from the first movie

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Fire actually is super effective against Grass. But Nidoking and Nidoqueen are not grass types...

omg lol I meant poison, thanks for catching that :p
I made the edit XD

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I used to capture pokemon and have them represent members of my family and whoever I was crushing on (this was around when ruby and spphire came out and five members of my family and my crush makes six). That was fun and it's something I still do to this day but not nearly as often or strictly.
I don't see how this is in any way stupid.

I also specifically remember always thinking fire was super effective against poison. ALWAYS thought Charizard was the perfect counter to Nidoqueen and Nidoking... If whoever I was battling on pokemon stadium chose first, I'd always choose Charizard to counter their nidos, if chosen.
Given how nigh-inseparable the grass type was from the poison type in gen. 1, you probably can't be blamed for mixing up the two types' weaknesses. I've heard some think psychic was super effective against grass for similar reasons. Also, I always thought it was a wonder fire attacks weren't super effective on koffing and gastly, their being made of flammable gas and all. In any case, it's a good thing you decided to use charizard against them and not arcanine or something. That could've ended disastrously for obvious reasons.

Was anyone else surprised that rollout wasn't a ground type move? It was kind of the signature move of the ground-type donphan, which appeared to be ground type mainly because of its rolling, and it definitely involved rolling on the ground, so I figured it was a likely candidate for a ground-type move when I first heard of it. Plus, I always thought it seemed like a much more likely candidate for a move that would have trouble hitting aerial targets than mud slap and freakin' bonemerang.

Speaking of mud slap, I don't remember if I've posted this before, but I used to think mud slap was both ground and water type. Mud is dirt mixed with water, so that made sense to me, and I was pretty surprised the first time I saw earthquake super-effectively damage a fire type, because I thought it was the moisture in the mud which harmed them in the case of mud slap.

Honestly it's a wonder muddy water isn't both types. I'm guessing it just suffers from being introduced before the dual-typed move concept. I wonder if it would be too much of a change to make it into one in later games.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I don't see how this is in any way stupid.

Given how nigh-inseparable the grass type was from the poison type in gen. 1, you probably can't be blamed for mixing up the two types' weaknesses. I've heard some think psychic was super effective against grass for similar reasons. Also, I always thought it was a wonder fire attacks weren't super effective on koffing and gastly, their being made of flammable gas and all. In any case, it's a good thing you decided to use charizard against them and not arcanine or something. That could've ended disastrously for obvious reasons.

Was anyone else surprised that rollout wasn't a ground type move? It was kind of the signature move of the ground-type donphan, which appeared to be ground type mainly because of its rolling, and it definitely involved rolling on the ground, so I figured it was a likely candidate for a ground-type move when I first heard of it. Plus, I always thought it seemed like a much more likely candidate for a move that would have trouble hitting aerial targets than mud slap and freakin' bonemerang.

Speaking of mud slap, I don't remember if I've posted this before, but I used to think mud slap was both ground and water type. Mud is dirt mixed with water, so that made sense to me, and I was pretty surprised the first time I saw earthquake super-effectively damage a fire type, because I thought it was the moisture in the mud which harmed them in the case of mud slap.

Honestly it's a wonder muddy water isn't both types. I'm guessing it just suffers from being introduced before the dual-typed move concept. I wonder if it would be too much of a change to make it into one in later games.

Muddy water being both types would be nice and add a lot to the move to make it stand out more imo!

and thanks that you think it's not stupid! The stupid part was I usually could never make up my mind and the teams ended up being switched out so often and it was just stupid in that way because everyone basically had like 5 pokemon that I couldnt decide between. I never make it anywhere near the end of the game because I end up getting bored and restarting because I want to use the main pokemon the whole way through :p more silly than stupid i guess!

AmethystLeslie

I remembered one other thing I did in my noob days. When I began breeding in X, i somehow believed that if you hatch enough eggs, you'd eventually get a pokemon's Hidden Ability.

Speaking of Hidden Abilities, i thought Pokemon had 2 abilities at once, the one they tell you on the summary screen, and another one that the game would never tell you until it gets triggered in battle (therefore, an ability that is hidden from you). I thought that my Absol's HA was Magic Bounce with its "known" ability being Pressure, before i realized that is the ability of its Mega, because I didn't know Megas changed abilities (when applicable).

AmethystLeslie

Well... that's true actually. But only if one of the parents has it.

No, i meant that if neither parent had an HA, the HA pokemon would magically appear out of an egg. Like how shinies would appear.

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
I used to think that Kanto and Johto belonged to the same generation and that Dragonite had nothing to do with Dratini's evolutionary line.

That's understandable, what with the surprising appearance change in the Dratini Evolution Chain, and the meld of regions in Generation 2.

I remembered another thing I used to do after playing SoulSilver again. I always used to phone up Jasmine and Brock hoping they'd say something nice!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I used to think that Kanto and Johto belonged to the same generation and that Dragonite had nothing to do with Dratini's evolutionary line.

If you want to get technical, they are. Kanto and Johto are both available in the same game in Gen II

Ninja Bulbasaur

I used to never evolve my Pokemon and just over-level like crazy to get over that. You can imagine how quickly that faded out. Trying to beat Cynthia with a Chimchar, Shinx, and whatever else I had was a nightmarish experience...and yet I repeated this in Gen 5 with Oshawott, Purrloin (which is already garbage to begin with), Lillipup, etc. and when Clay kicked me to the curve I finally stopped.

Oh, and the nicknames were always variations of the Pokemon name i.e. Oshawott was Wotty, Chimchar was Chimpy, Bidoof was Biddie, Lillipup was Lilli, etc. It was ridiculous. To be fair, I was around nine or ten but it doesn't make it any less cringey.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
If you want to get technical, they are. Kanto and Johto are both available in the same game in Gen II

The funny thing was that I never played the Gold/Silver/Crystal games and only watched Johto from the anime when I was a little kid and even then I didn't realized that Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile were starters. Also I had the tendency to forget some dialogues as well(I think I was like 5-6 years old back then) and only realized that when I heard that GenIII started and I was like "which was the GenII?" :p

EmeraldLeafBlade

When I was very little (like five or six), it was during gen I, and I remember thinking that every Pokémon eventually evolved into the next in Pokédex order. So Bulbasaur would evolve into Ivysaur and Venusaur, then Charmander, and Charizard would evolve into Squirtle, and so on down the line until they eventually became Mewtwo.

For a long time I thought that Vaporeon was Eevee's only evo.

When I was ten (gen III), I didn't have Ruby or Sapphire yet, but I did have some older games like Crystal. I thought that because Kanto was in G/S/C, R/S must have Kanto and Johto in addition to Hoenn.

When I was older, I developed a bad habit of restarting my games way too much. Because of this, I've actually deleted save files with things like shinies and event legendaries on them.

Ascended Dialga

When I was a kid, I thought the only purpose of natures was to indicate which PokéBlock flavors the Pokémon likes and dislikes; I didn't know natures actually had an effect on a Pokémon's stats.

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
My first Pokemon game was Colosseum. Back then, I used to think temporary stat changes were permanent. During one battle (all doubles in that game) when the opponent only had a weak Shroomish left and couldn't do much to me, I actually spent a good while having my Espeon use Calm Mind and then having my Umbreon use Snatch every other turn in an effort to permanently raise their stats. There was also another battle where some CPU trainer kept using Icy Wind, which lowers speed, and I got really mad at him using it over and over, not realizing that the speed drop would wear off after the battle (or if you switched out).

Edit: OH, just thought of something else! Before Colosseum, I had played a bit of Pokemon Stadium 2, using rental pokemon because I didn't have the GameBoy games. I didn't understand type matchups yet, much less type immunities, and I kept using Thunder on a Geodude, wondering why it wouldn't work. I thought it would work eventually and kept trying lol.

Edit #2: Another dumb thing, also about Colosseum! First of all, I didn't realize poison would still hurt your pokemon outside of battle. the way they showed it in that game was by having the screen flash red and a weird electrical/static-type SFX would play and it really confused me. there's some building that's important to the story... can't remember exactly but it was like some power-generating room and I thought maybe they were having issues and went to go check it out :p of course, my pokemon being poisoned eventually led me to heal it so I never saw the "[pokemon] fainted..." message outside of battle. I never knew what triggered that until I played Ruby and the screen did that jiggly thing to indicate poison wearing your pokemon down. I'm sooo glad poison doesn't do that anymore.

Edit #3: Oh boy, another one. I always assumed every pokemon got STAB on normal-type moves.

Last edited: