• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I’m sure I’ve shared all this before but I’m not digging through 200+ pages.

Gen II:
  • When I first heard that genders were a thing, I imagined that Mr. Mime was male only.
  • I thought they would make Pokémon like Meowth and Zubat Dark types.
  • I thought they were going to put new evos/babies in the Pokedex next to other family members.
The rest of the generations later.

Well, at least they did get the dark-type Meowth variant eventually. :)

BlisseyEX

The happiness Pokémon
When I was in Elementary School and Celebi was just leaked by name, everyone was hyping this mysterious new thing like crazy we all thought 'Download' was a place in G/S/C because none of us had heard of that word before (the magazine said Method to obtain: Download)...
Some kid turned up with a red onion fairy one day called 'Delebi' and said we had to unblock the skateboard and travel to download to get it. (the 'skateboard' was already a thing back then) We persuaded him to give us clones of his 'Delebi' months later.

Needless to say it turns out that shiny Celebi was obtained with a Gameshark and he played us all, but it remains one of my fondest memories from back then.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
When I was young, my older brother told me that your Game Boy Advance could sense this environment it was in so that if you wanted to catch water pokemon you should go out in the rain etc, so I tried to get more electric pokemon for Wallace's gym by taking the insides of batteries and using them to charge your game boy

I wonder if part of that theory was based on that Boktai game for the GBA...

Missingno.Fan

Gen III:
  • I thought Pokemon that weren't in the regional dex were not programmed into the game.
  • I thought Clamperl evolved into Huntail if male and Gorebyss if female.
  • Cascoon and Silcoon were depended on the time of the day.
Gen IV:
  • I heard my brother talking about the Manaphy egg and I was thinking of Phanpy. I'm like "How is that special?"
  • I thought Rotom was legendary.
Gen V:
  • I thought Alomomola was a Luvdisc evo.
  • I thought Cheran was a girl.
Gen VI:
  • I had a dream where I saw a leak that Bonnie was a gym leader. I legitimately thought that I saw this in real life.
  • I thought Pokemon automatically mega evolve when they are holding a stone. That's why I lost against Korrine.
  • I thought Pokemon had to have max friendship to Mega Evolve.
Gen VII:
  • I believed a lot of the rumors that were thrown around. I'm just going to leave it at that.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Oh, I did some pretty stupid things in the Pokémon games when I was younger. I was like 5 or 6 when I started.

• Trying to defeat Brock with Pikachu in Yellow. (I actually did manage this once, but I think I traded some 'mons back from Silver to help me, I remember using a Nidoqueen.)
  • Fainting the legendaries because I thought they were impossible to catch, or were some kind of superboss that you had to kill to progress in the game.
  • Never catching Raikou, Entei or Suicune in Silver because they kept running away.
  • Catching a Cascoon in the Petalburg Forest in Ruby with a Master Ball.
  • Wandering into a cave without Flash in Silver. I had to restart from my last save point.
  • Thinking the level of a Pokémon was its age, and when they reached 100, they were elderly.
  • Using a Hoothoot (don't ask) against Morty in Silver, then getting stuck and having to restart because Mean Look had trapped me and I couldn't attack or switch out.
  • Using my Combusken against May (who I named Melissa, after my sister) and her Marshtomp in Ruby. I did beat her eventually though.
  • Using my Blaziken against Flannery in Omega Ruby and using just his Rock Tomb. (My Gyarados was just a Magikarp at the time, so he was pretty useless.)
  • Releasing my starter Pokémon in Ruby (I think?) Luckily I didn't save.
  • Trying to use the Thunderstone on Pikachu in Yellow, only to be repeatedly told that it doesn't want to evolve into Raichu. I get that Yellow is based more on the anime and it emulates the whole debacle with Lt. Surge and his Raichu, but back then I was a kid and really loved evolving Pokémon, because I thought Raichu was stronger than Pikachu.

Last edited:

Kage-Pikachu

Not battling Red in Soul Silver since I thought it was a one time only battle and I wanted it to be perfect with all three Johto starters, and three other Pokemon of my choosing (which were going to be Tyranitar, Espeon, and Dragonite) only to have it stolen after resetting it and trading all of my Pokemon from Platinum into it (which took hours).... I didn't know at the time that he would respawn...

Not realizing that Electric Pokemon were immune to paralysis in gen 6 and repeatedly trying to paralyze a Pikachu during my first playthrough since I was watching tv at the same time and not reading the text (I simply thought I was missing each stun spore)...

Not realizing that Fairies were immune to Dragon and sending out Goomby to try and capture Flabebe.

Orphalesion

• Cascoon and Silcoon were depended on the time of the day.

TBF the fandom as a whole was confused about that for a loooong time after Ruby and Sapphire were released. Some people thought time of day, some people thought gender, nature, by chance. I don't even know when it was eventually found out that it's the personality value. And I don't think I understood it back then, due to being much younger and not yet understanding the inner workings of games.

Kage-Pikachu

TBF the fandom as a whole was confused about that for a loooong time after Ruby and Sapphire were released. Some people thought time of day, some people thought gender, nature, by chance. I don't even know when it was eventually found out that it's the personality value. And I don't think I understood it back then, due to being much younger and not yet understanding the inner workings of games.
Dude you have no idea how much irritation I went through trying to get a Beautifly!!! I would constantly restart (to avoid wasting exp on trainers for my eventual Dustox) and reset the clock. I preferred raising Wurmple since wild Silcoon only had Harden and I would spend hours trying and failing to raise a Beutifly...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Dude you have no idea how much irritation I went through trying to get a Beautifly!!! I would constantly restart (to avoid wasting exp on trainers for my eventual Dustox) and reset the clock. I preferred raising Wurmple since wild Silcoon only had Harden and I would spend hours trying and failing to raise a Beutifly...

You could've just caught both a Silcoon and Cascoon in Petalburg Forest, evolve them both into Beautifly and Dustox, then keep the Beautifly.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I like to think that that was an early possibility that was on the table when the series first started but got shafted as things changed and the series wore on. But that's mostly wishful thinking on my part.

They did that in an American (broadway?) play way back when, implying that Giovanni was Ash's father since he had a former relationship with his mom. The play was quickly declared non canon, but still, an interesting idea nonetheless.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
They did that in an American (broadway?) play way back when, implying that Giovanni was Ash's father since he had a former relationship with his mom. The play was quickly declared non canon, but still, an interesting idea nonetheless.

Yeah, I think it was the one where Giovanni tried to harness Mewtwo's power for his Gym, and giving out the Diamond Badge instead of the Earth Badge. I wonder why they've never made any theatrical Pokémon productions since.

I was convinced for the longest time that unown were considered legendaries simply because they were featured in the 3rd movie.

Entei was more of the 'star' legendary though. The Unowns were just supporting actors. Or letters. (Whatever Unown's supposed to be.)

When I was a kid, I convinced myself that pokemon were real and that one day I was going to go live with them.

What a letdown. lol

Your wish has come true... kind of. Pokémon Go? ;)

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
More silly childhood things I did/thought with Pokémon:

• I thought Clair was a boy.
  • I thought Bugsy and Wallace were girls... until I found out they weren't. In the words of Chuggaconroy in his Crystal playthrough: "BUGSY'S A BOY?!"
  • I once restarted my Yellow (luckily I'd only gotten up to Pewter City) and named myself Ash, and didn't nickname any of the Pokémon I caught.
  • I thought that Ruby and Sapphire would only have four Gym Leaders, because I was reading a magazine article (I think it was the official Nintendo UK magazine) and they only showed the Gym Leaders up to Flannery.
  • I fainted Lugia in Silver because, like with the legendary dogs, I thought you couldn't catch legendaries. Same thing with Groudon in Ruby.
  • I thought that there was some kind of Pokémon overlord or god. It was number 000 in the Pokédex, and its cry was every other Pokémon's cry playing at once. (This was pre-Gen 4, so no Arceus or Victini then.)
  • I thought that Ash had died for real when he turned to stone in the first movie, and I think I actually cried. (I was like 7 or 8.)
  • I thought all Trainers (i.e. the ones you battle throughout the game) were evil.
  • I thought you could fight Sabrina right after you got through Lavender Town. Little did I realize you had to deal with Team Rocket first.

Last edited: