• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Draydenheim

Dragon Master
Silly childhood things I did with pokemon:

-I used to always confuse the game with Pikmin, so when I was playing I would always say "why is Olimar not in this one?", "where's Olimar" and "Olimar is in this game" etc. I thought Olivine city was named after Olimar but when I realised i grew up it was named after "Olivine"
-I used to think you could go to Kanto
-I thought that if you talked to the guy at Mosdeep space station 1,000 times you could unlock a level where he would allow you to climb onto the rocket

gofishyfish

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Someone at school convinced me that if you leveled up a Pokemon to level 100, you would unlock their shiny variants. This kid told me that was why they were so rare, because no one wanted to put in the effort for that. I was a gullible kid and immediately started leveling up all of my Pokemon until a friend told me the truth.

dragonskull

Dark trainer
Since my English wasn't that great back when I still played Pokémon, I thought that Drake (the last of the elite four in Hoenn if I remember correctly) said something in the lines of the player being "superbad" when you defeated him.
Not a lot later, but not when playing Pokémon actively anymore, I learned that the word superb meant being very good at something. Some time later I realized that Drake was giving compliments instead of being a bad loser :)

Leonhart

Imagineer
dragonskull said:
Since my English wasn't that great back when I still played Pokémon, I thought that Drake (the last of the elite four in Hoenn if I remember correctly) said something in the lines of the player being "superbad" when you defeated him.
Not a lot later, but not when playing Pokémon actively anymore, I learned that the word superb meant being very good at something. Some time later I realized that Drake was giving compliments instead of being a bad loser :)

I had a similar experience with an NPC in Gold version who called me a "laddie", which I mistook for "lady". I was kind of offended until I realized what a laddie was.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Silly childhood things I did with pokemon:

-I used to always confuse the game with Pikmin, so when I was playing I would always say "why is Olimar not in this one?", "where's Olimar" and "Olimar is in this game" etc. I thought Olivine city was named after Olimar but when I realised i grew up it was named after "Olivine"
-I used to think you could go to Kanto
-I thought that if you talked to the guy at Mosdeep space station 1,000 times you could unlock a level where he would allow you to climb onto the rocket

You can go to Kanto... in real life. The Kanto region in Pokémon is named after and based on the real-life Kanto region of Japan. ;)

It would've been pretty hilarious if Drake actually said "superbad", though R/S/E came out a little bit before the movie of that name. In Diamond/Pearl, some NPCs say "noob" a few times, possibly the first time ever that Pokémon has referred to Internet memes.

I had a similar experience with an NPC in Gold version who called me a "laddie", which I mistook for "lady". I was kind of offended until I realized what a laddie was.

And this was before you got the option to play as a female in Crystal?

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yes, which made the dialogue seem even more weird to me back then since we could only play as a boy in Gold/Silver, so I didn't get why the NPC would assume that I was a girl.

A little bit of history:

Leaf (from FR/LG) was originally meant to appear in the original Red/Green as the female player choice, as evidenced by a poster which showed her, Red and (presumably) Blue together.

For some reason, she was pulled out just before Red/Blue came out around the rest of the world, and there were no female PCs until Crystal. It wasn't until Ruby/Sapphire that being able to play as a female became a permanent feature.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I believed in Pokegods for an embarrassingly long time because I had limited internet knowledge and was extremely gullible

Yeah, PokéGods were kind of a big rumour around the time Gen 2 was about to come out. I don't remember much about it though.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Ever look at the screen of the original Game Boy playing Pokémon from a distance of four feet? If so then you’ll know why.

Look at this from several feet away and squint and. Tell me you don’t see the “duck.”

twitchplayspokemon_header_1.jpg

Oh yeah, I kind of see it. I could see the visor of the Trainer's cap being the duck's bill. And I love how your screenshot just so happens to have a Jigglypuff in it. ;)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
  • I thought traded Pokémon would always listen to you, like Pokémon you catch yourself. I learnt otherwise when I traded a Nidoqueen back from Silver to beat Brock on Yellow.
  • I thought May (Sapphire) was Brendan (Ruby)'s sister.
  • I thought Gary/Blue was Red's brother. Which sounds pretty stupid given his personality in the games.
  • I thought all the male player characters in the games were Ash from the anime, just in different designs. Ethan (Gold) was Ash aged 13. Even my sister thought this, as she saw a picture of Nate (the male player character from Black 2/White 2) and she asked me, “Is that supposed to be Ash?”
  • I thought the legendary box mascots were named after the game whose box they appear on. So for example, Lugia would be called Silver, Groudon would be called Ruby, and Kyogre would be called Sapphire.

Last edited:

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I thought that Tate and Lisa were both girls, I only realised I was wrong a few weeks ago. I missed the episodes with them in the anime otherwise I would have found out sooner.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought that Tate and Lisa were both girls, I only realised I was wrong a few weeks ago. I missed the episodes with them in the anime otherwise I would have found out sooner.

Ash actually mistakes Tate for a girl in the episode he has his Gym battle with them. And it's Liza, not Lisa.

I thought Wallace was a girl too. It's because of his hair and his style, but of course no-one's heard of a girl called Wallace. ;)

It took me until Emerald to realize that Bug was no longer to Poison attacks. I kept wondering why moves like Sludge Bomb wasn't being super effective on Beautifly. I thought it was an error for awhile.

Bug was actually weak to Poison, but only in Gen 1. In a strange twist, Poison was also weak to Bug. It's the only time two types have been super-effective and weak to each other, apart from Ghost and Dragon.

Used to pronounce Suicune as "SOO-ih-sine." Some other post here mentioned the exact same thing. xD

When I was younger, I used to say Suicune as "Soo-koon". Now I pronounce it more like "Soo-ee-KYOON", which I think is the correct pronunciation.

One thing that always bothers me: is it "Ar-kee-us" or "Ar-see-us"? I used to pronounce it as the latter, but the former is apparently the 'official' pronunciation.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Last edited: