• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
No, I thought this when I played the original. I can't remember what made me find out the truth, but it was around the time I played the remake.

Speaking of the originals, when Gen 3 was about to start, I saw a magazine article on the new games and starters, and it only showed the first four Hoenn Gym Leaders. Because of that, I thought there were only going to be four Gyms in Hoenn. I probably would've never accepted such a big diversion from tradition, at least until Gen 7 came out anyway.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
When I first played Sapphire version, I didn't know that the day/night feature had been removed so when I entered Petalburg Woods and the environment got darker, I assumed it was just the game switching over to night time.

They did bring it back in Diamond/Pearl, though.

Just thought of another one, although it's not really something I did as a kid, but as a teenager. In Black 2, I beat Black Kyurem in one go, but I restarted because I wanted to see what happens if you try to use a Poké Ball on it. I know that Ghetsis says you can't catch it because of the power coming from his cane, but it was pretty embarrassing starting again just to do something I couldn't do. :oops:

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
- When I was in 2nd grade or so and watched the Advanced Generation anime episodes with May in it I kept thinking Misty would come back and May was only temporary... sadly this wasn't true. :(

At least Misty returned a few times in the Advanced series, and again in Sun & Moon. :)

Orphalesion

You In D/P some NPCs say "noob" a few times, possibly the first time ever that Pokémon has referred to Internet memes.

Wasn't there some thing with the D/P translation being written (or overseen) by some passionate internet user who (for some, unfathomable reason) was given free reign to stuff the whole game with blatant (and by now pretty dated) internet memes and references to SA?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Wasn't there some thing with the D/P translation being written (or overseen) by some passionate internet user who (for some, unfathomable reason) was given free reign to stuff the whole game with blatant (and by now pretty dated) internet memes and references to SA?

I'm pretty sure some people still say "noob" (as a shortening of "newbie"), but "A winner is you"? That's VERY 2007.

I once thought Bug was weak to Poison, because you use insecticides to kill unwanted bugs in your garden and on your crops. This was true in Gen 1, though with a rather bizarre twist - Poison was also weak to Bug! It was found to be a glitch and was fixed in Gen 2, but I think it would make more sense for Bug to still be weak to Poison for the aforementioned reason. My cousin also thought Fire was weak to Flying, since some birds have very large wingspans (like the condor), and flapping them hard enough can put out a fire.

Me and my friend used to run around the yard pretending we were on our pokemon journeys and our battles would be on the trampoline

Me and my brother literally played pretend pokemon when we were younger. We came up with our own towns and gyms and areas. It was kind of sad thinking back on it.
Also I thought when the S.S. Anne started to float away that you had used cut to release the boat thus dooming the poor souls on board to float away forever.

ah hahaha! Oh in 2nd grade, me and my best friend used to play imaginary pokemon. And i always used to cheat and win against her. It was during recess. And this other kid (my friend) i used to force them to be ash and misty and get together and kiss! LOL but they would always get nervous and never do it. We would hide by a wall where teachers couldn't see and played a pokemon romance. haha. Also, I would pretend to have my favorite pokemon; Lucario always at my side and that we would solve problems together. My classmates thought i was weird that i had a crush on Ash Ketchum in 1st grade. And i now agree.

I think me and my sister did a similar thing when we were younger. We would pretend to be Pokémon - I think I would play as a Torchic and she would play as a Treecko - and we ‘battled’ by throwing the sofa cushions at each other. XD

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Shouldm’t this thread be renamed “Stupid things you thought/did in Pokémon games” rather than “Stupid things you thought/did in Pokémon games as a kid”, because many of us still play Pokémon as adults and we can still do stupid things?

I thought of another silly thing: in Black, I caught a Dwebble in the desert north of Castelia. Because I thought the Dwebble was male, I gave it a male-sounding name. When I went to my PC at the Pokémon Centre, I realised it was actually a girl, and proceeded to release it. Of course, I could’ve just taken it out and went to the Name Rater, but now there’s a female Dwebble out there… with a male name.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used to think Bugsy was a girl.

We pretty much all thought that, so it's not really stupid. I used to think Clair was a boy, for... some strange reason. Maybe because she looks a bit masculine in her appearance?

Much more recently, I thought Ilima (the first Trial Captain in Alola) was a girl as well, especially when I first saw him in a trailer for Sun/Moon. Anime and manga has quite a lot of gender-ambiguous characters, which I think is a good thing, as it makes you think.

Vixzey

- So many failed attempts at the Mew glitch in R/B
- thought there was a glitch to get gen2 babies in R/B
- after obtaining a lvl 999 Raticate from the MissingNo glitch, I would use a rare candy to get it to lvl 0, but it would retain it's stats and win the elite four on its own
- used to think that any moves that didn't deal damage was pointless and stupid
- didn't realise importance of IV, stats and natures until Gen4...
- believed you could travel to space and catch Deoxys in R/S
- thought Hyper Beam and OHKO moves were the ultimate moves to have
- was convinced Bruno would be revealed as Ash's father in the Anime
- thought Pink Rhyhorn and Crystal Onix were super rare spawns in G/S/C

Now, 19 years later, having played through every generation, I managed to tell people in relations to Pokemon Go raids, that when Regigigas comes, Water and Grass pokemon would be effective due to him being part Rock type...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Am I the only one who never got the “Pressing A and/or B repeatedly to increase the catch rate of a Pokemon” thing? It seems almost everyone here has done that at some point, but I never really believed in it. It just puts unnecessary pressure on your buttons and can even damage them if you do it too much.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Am I the only one who never got the “Pressing A and/or B repeatedly to increase the catch rate of a Pokemon” thing? It seems almost everyone here has done that at some point, but I never really believed in it. It just puts unnecessary pressure on your buttons and can even damage them if you do it too much.
You're not alone. I still do that sometimes. Not too hard though. I'd hate to break/damage them.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Is this a stupid thing to think? I thought you could go to the Saffron Gym immediately after you beat the Celadon Gym in Yellow. Turns out you have to go to Lavender Town first and deal with all the Silph Co. stuff. :confused:

I also thought that when I defeated Flannery, that was the end of the game, as she was the last Gym Leader in Hoenn (this was because of a magazine, where an article on Ruby and Sapphire only showed four Gym Leaders).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I did, but a variation where I pressed B and up or down

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
- When I was in 2nd grade or so and watched the Advanced Generation anime episodes with May in it I kept thinking Misty would come back and May was only temporary... sadly this wasn't true.

I thought a similar thing, but I thought May was Misty’s sister or something of the kind. I didn’t see the episode where Misty left to go back to the Cerulean Gym.

Whenever I heard about the johto or hoenn starters being starter pokemon I would say "no way, thats charmander, bulbasaur, and squirtle not those other guys! What are you trying to do, replace them?"

I didn't have a clue.

My cousin thought the Johto starters looked weird when they first came out. I thought the same when the Hoenn starters first came out as well, as I was used to the Kanto and Johto starters.

Last edited:
When Mew was first revealed there was a rumor going around at my school saying that it was unique because it had the power to devolve Pokemon.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if such a thing were possible. You catch an evolved Pokemon, then instead of breeding it to get its pre-evolved form in the dex you reverse the evolution. Heck, they could even use it in the anime to show just how powerful Pikachu really would be as a Raichu for a couple of episodes before returning to being a Pikachu.