• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
When Mew was first revealed there was a rumor going around at my school saying that it was unique because it had the power to devolve Pokemon.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if such a thing were possible. You catch an evolved Pokemon, then instead of breeding it to get its pre-evolved form in the dex you reverse the evolution. Heck, they could even use it in the anime to show just how powerful Pikachu really would be as a Raichu for a couple of episodes before returning to being a Pikachu.

Wouldn't that be too much like Digimon though?

Speaking of which, I used to think Digimon was related to Pokémon when I was a kid. They're both Japanese in origin and have to do with monsters who are used as pets and in battle, and they both have 'mon' at the end. I used to think that the main orange lizard Digimon was Charmander or a baby Charizard. XD

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
When I was younger, one of my cousins found the Master Ball in Ruby and used it to catch a LV.2 Wurmple and gave it a NSFW nickname, then showed it to me... I was boiling mad, but later proud of myself to have completed the Hoenn dex on both Ruby & Sapphire WITHOUT the use of any Master Balls, since I was unaware they were in Gen 3... my cousin knew it but never told me, so, yeah...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
When I was younger, one of my cousins found the Master Ball in Ruby and used it to catch a LV.2 Wurmple and gave it a NSFW nickname, then showed it to me... I was boiling mad, but later proud of myself to have completed the Hoenn dex on both Ruby & Sapphire WITHOUT the use of any Master Balls, since I was unaware they were in Gen 3... my cousin knew it but never told me, so, yeah...

Funnily enough, I did a similar thing in Ruby as well. It was a Dustox though, and I don't think I gave it a nickname, NSFW or not.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I thought that the rocket in Mossdeep City actually launched into space for some kind of special event that would allow you to catch Deoxys or Jirachi. Ironically we could eventually catch Deoxys in space in ORAS, although that's probably just a coincidence and not a direct reference to those rumours.

lol me 2. Although I’m sad to this day that Jirachi has yet to have a place to be catchable. Even the Mythicals after him like Shaymin and Victini have locations to be caught at.

I once thought that Johto was Gen III and Hoenn was Gen II

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought that the rocket in Mossdeep City actually launched into space for some kind of special event that would allow you to catch Deoxys or Jirachi. Ironically we could eventually catch Deoxys in space in ORAS, although that's probably just a coincidence and not a direct reference to those rumours.

Don’t forget that mysterious white rock just outside the space centre. Why else would it just be sitting there?

I once thought that Johto was Gen III and Hoenn was Gen II

Why did you think that?

Why did you think that?
I don't remember the main reason why. It was around Gen V when I started Pokemon. I think I even thought Unova was Gen I.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I don't remember the main reason why. It was around Gen V when I started Pokemon. I think I even thought Unova was Gen I.

Well, to be fair, Gen 5 was supposed to be a totally new generation.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
When I first played, I believed that all attacks relied on the Attack stat and that Special Attack/Defense affected stat boosts.

I used to think only attacks that did damage mattered, and stat-raising or dropping moves like Leer, Growl and Tail Whip were useless. Only when I started playing SoulSilver did I realise they can be useful in some situations, like giving Torment to my Umbreon.

I just remembered when I recently borrowed Pokemon Diamond from a library, I would immediately start the game without deleting the old file (bear in mind that this was the first time I've played a used game). It wasn't until I tried saving around when you fight Mars when I realized you can't save unless you delete the old file. Even worse, my Female Turtwig wasn't saved.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I just remembered when I recently borrowed Pokemon Diamond from a library, I would immediately start the game without deleting the old file (bear in mind that this was the first time I've played a used game). It wasn't until I tried saving around when you fight Mars when I realized you can't save unless you delete the old file. Even worse, my Female Turtwig wasn't saved.

That was actually me when I first played Black. I bought it used, so someone had obviously made a game before me, and I got to around the first town when I realised I couldn't save. So I had to do that "delete the old saved file" button combination and do all that again, which luckily wasn't much.

My friend told me he got a Lv 100 Victini for a Lv 1 Magikarp. Whoever was trading with him was either stupid, or was just making hacked pokemon. This is in Sun.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
My friend told me he got a Lv 100 Victini for a Lv 1 Magikarp. Whoever was trading with him was either stupid, or was just making hacked pokemon. This is in Sun.
Probably hacked. I’ve seen this on FB Groups all the time with posts saying stuff like “Get a Shiny Lv 100 Charizard! All you need to do is deposit a Lv 1 Caterpie and nickname it [hacker’s name] and you’ll get one! Only 100 replies. Giveaway ends in two hours.”

NeedsAName

Probably hacked. I’ve seen this on FB Groups all the time with posts saying stuff like “Get a Shiny Lv 100 Charizard! All you need to do is deposit a Lv 1 Caterpie and nickname it [hacker’s name] and you’ll get one! Only 100 replies. Giveaway ends in two hours.”

I've personally never seen what you're describing, but I once got a Lvl-100 shiny Pokerus Hoopa from wonder trade. No way that wasn't hacked.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I've personally never seen what you're describing, but I once got a Lvl-100 shiny Pokerus Hoopa from wonder trade. No way that wasn't hacked.

He's just giving an example, but so many trades on the GTS are hacked or just downright silly. Once I was looking for some starters to trade for on the GTS, and one person wanted a Reshiram for a Turtwig (or something). o_O:rolleyes:

I just realized this once I decided to play Y which I haven't played for ages.
Being that Y was my first game, I had a Pikachu on my team because of anime. Plus, I had a Lv 70 something Gurdurr that I think I was trying to evolve.
Lastly, my Delphox, at LV 98, still knows Scratch.