• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

NeedsAName

To be fair, Sword/Shield did introduce the ability Ball Fetch, where if you throw a Poké Ball and it fails to catch the Pokémon, it will be returned to you to use again. I think only Yamper and Boltund have it though, so maybe it should be a more general thing in the games.

They could give it to a few other dog Pokémon, like Poochyena, Growlithe, Fennekin, and Eevee.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
They could give it to a few other dog Pokémon, like Poochyena, Growlithe, Fennekin, and Eevee.

I always thought Eevee was a rabbit crossed with a fox crossed with a dog. It does have unstable genetic makeup, right?

Oh yes, when I was younger, I couldn't remember some Pokémon's names, and pronounced some of them incorrectly. I used to call Treecko Toto, you know, like the dog from The Wizard of Oz? And I used to call Groudon Ruby because that's the game it was the mascot of, then when I found out its real name, I pronounced it Groo-don. (Apparently the correct pronunciation is Grou-don, the "Grou" part being pronounced like "ground", due to it being Ground-type and the lord of the land and such.) I think I still pronounce some Pokémon names incorrectly - I even made a whole thread about the debate on how Arceus's name is pronounced.

I also thought Groudon was a Fire/Ground type at first, because it's red and red Pokémon are usually Fire-types, and Groudon can learn things like Flamethrower and Eruption. To be fair, OR/AS did finally make it a Fire/Ground type when it turns into Primal Groudon, but I think it's a common misconception that normal (i.e. non-Primal) Groudon is Fire/Ground because of the reasons I said above.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I remember watching the crystal Iwark (Onix) episode of the anime when I was younger and thinking that the crystal Iwark was meant to be a beta design for Haganeil (Steelix). At the time I knew that Iwark was getting an evolution, although I didn't know what it looked like, so my naive mind came up with its own head canon.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I remember watching the crystal Iwark (Onix) episode of the anime when I was younger and thinking that the crystal Iwark was meant to be a beta design for Haganeil (Steelix). At the time I knew that Iwark was getting an evolution, although I didn't know what it looked like, so my naive mind came up with its own head canon.

I thought the crystal Onix, the pink Butterfree, and all the other pink Pokémon seen in that one episode of the Orange Islands anime were shinies. But shiny Pokémon were introduced in Gen 2, and all those Pokémon appeared during Gen 1, so maybe a differently-coloured Pokémon isn't necessarily shiny? :rolleyes:

(Case in point, female Hippowdon and the two Shellos/Gastrodon forms.)

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I got some Pokemon types mixed up a lot when I was a kid like for example I thought Gligar was Poison/Flying and even to this day I sometimes make that mistake.

Sometimes I still think Gligar is Poison/Flying, because it's a flying scorpion, and scorpions are poisonous. I also thought the Goomy family were Poison/Dragon because... well, they're purple, and purple Pokémon are usually Poison types. I think a lot of people tend to think the colour of a Pokémon corresponds with its type, like thinking Azurill is a Water-type because it's blue and evolves into Marill, which is a Water-type, or thinking Politoed is Grass because it's green.

And we all thought Sudowoodo was a Grass type at first, didn't we?

Omg this used to happen to me too and I also got Steelix's type mixed up, I thought it was Steel/Rock because that's what it looks like.

When I was battling Jasmine in SoulSilver, I used my Starmie against her Steelix, and told it to use Surf. The game said "It's super-effective!", so I thought Steel was weak to Water. I still think it should be, because steel rusts when it's exposed to water long enough. Now I realize that's just Steelix's secondary Ground type.

Leonhart

Imagineer
carterfeygo said:
I got some Pokemon types mixed up a lot when I was a kid like for example I thought Gligar was Poison/Flying and even to this day I sometimes make that mistake.

I'm still not sure why it isn't half Poison-type considering that it's based on a scorpion. It being half Flying-type makes sense because it has wings, but I don't understand why it's half Ground-type unless it's meant to be a reference to desert habitats where scorpions are usually found, but even that seems like a bit of a stretch.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'm still not sure why it isn't half Poison-type considering that it's based on a scorpion. It being half Flying-type makes sense because it has wings, but I don't understand why it's half Ground-type unless it's meant to be a reference to desert habitats where scorpions are usually found, but even that seems like a bit of a stretch.

Probably because if it was Poison/Flying, people would think it was an evolution of Golbat, whose evolution Crobat was created in the same generation, and think it was a branched evolution like with Gloom evolving into either Vileplume or Bellossom. Its Dex entries even mention it having a venomous stinger:

It flies straight at its target's face then clamps down on the startled victim to inject poison.

(Entry from Gold and HeartGold)

I think Gligar can at least learn some Poison-type moves (it learns Poison Sting at level 1, and it can be taught Toxic, Venoshock and Poison Jab via TM). I think it could even have Poison Heal as a Dream World ability in Gen 5.

On the topic of another scorpion Pokémon, Drapion, I always think it's a Poison/Bug type like its pre-evo, Skorupi, and not Poison/Dark. I often don't notice my Fire or Flying types only dealing neutral damage to it.

I had caught a Seviper in the games, and was like "Oh cool, it's a huge snake thing! I might even use this!"

*2- I thought it was an Evolution of Arbok.

It was probably due to that Trainer's Choice thing during the Hoenn anime, where they mistakenly said Seviper was an evolution of Arbok. That segment also spelled a lot of Pokémon names wrong, and it even called Sealeo "Nuzleaf" not once, but twice.

Last edited:

Soby

Thot Patrol
I started playing pokemon when i could barely even read, so on my copy of Crystal, i thought that bug was weak to water since bugs aren't really good swimmer and they drown pretty easy, and i kept insisting on using water type moves on bugs even though the sound effect for the attack didn't sound like a super effective move sound effect.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I started playing pokemon when i could barely even read, so on my copy of Crystal, i thought that bug was weak to water since bugs aren't really good swimmer and they drown pretty easy, and i kept insisting on using water type moves on bugs even though the sound effect for the attack didn't sound like a super effective move sound effect.

It’s only really super-effective if it’s a Bug/Ground, Bug/Rock or Bug/Fire type. Otherwise, it just deals either neutral or not-very-effective damage.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used to think that Brendan's hat was actually white hat. I remember my friends thinking the same thing lol. And to take it one step further I used to think that Wattson was Brendan's grandpa because of his hair being the same color.

I also thought that as well, but I'm sure we all did. In the Adventures manga, Ruby (Brendan) wears his hat to hide some scars he got from a Salamence that attacked him and Sapphire (May) when they were younger. I think there was even a joke there about his hat being mistaken for his hair.

I used to think you could buy Master balls, used mine on Zapdos

To be fair, when the Silph Co. guy gives you a Master Ball, he says they're "not in the shops yet." So that implies that soon you'll be able to buy them just like ordinary Poké Balls, but it never happens. :rolleyes:

Who else thought Mew evolves into Mewtwo and Phione evolves into Manaphy? I still make that mistake sometimes.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Did anyone ever teach their Pokémon HMs in Gen 1, where there's no Move Deleter? If you wanted to forget an HM in those games, you had to transfer your Pokémon to Stadium on the N64 and delete the move there. (I never played much of the Gen 1 games, so I didn't run into this problem.)