• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things the Pokémon anime made you believe

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
And that Ash didn't nickname his Muk as Mukkey which was a true hero and could time travel.

Kintaro

Banned
I used to think all Psyduck was incapable of normal battling because of Misty's. It probably didn't help that we didn't see another trainer in the anime with a Psyduck who could battle properly for a long time if I remember correctly.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
not something the anime made me believe, but there was that one old promo in CN that made me believe pikachu was an experiment made by professor oak

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I have a few misconceptions about the anime.

1. Every Pokémon can only say they’re names and not sound like anything else if they couldn’t actually talk or communicate through telepathy.
2. Porygon caused the seizures. Pretty common misconception that most people getting wrong and I didn’t know it was actually Pikachu’s fault for twenty years.
3. I thought that Brock had no eyes and kept wondering how he could see without them.
4. I thought that the Tauros at Oak’s lab had magically appeared out of nowhere because I didn’t know that the Dratini episode was pulled for western audiences which left many important events not shown.
5. The Dratini as seen in said banned episode confused me in the Poké Rap as it was clearly from an episode but I couldn’t remember ever seeing such an episode.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
2. Porygon caused the seizures. Pretty common misconception that most people getting wrong and I didn’t know it was actually Pikachu’s fault for twenty years.

Poor Porygon, getting blamed for a crime he didn’t commit. :(

Using that logic, Pikachu should be banned. XD

3. I thought that Brock had no eyes and kept wondering how he could see without them.

Brock’s eyes do appear in one episode, when he opens them wide.

4. I thought that the Tauros at Oak’s lab had magically appeared out of nowhere because I didn’t know that the Dratini episode was pulled for western audiences which left many important events not shown.

It was banned because of excessive showing of firearms, especially the bit where the Safari Warden pulls a gun on Ash (but doesn’t shoot). I guess it wouldn’t go over so well in America with its high rate of shootings, but Officer Jenny has been shown with a gun before, and she hasn’t been banned. o_O

Speaking of Togepi, I remember being so sure it was a baby aerodactyl

You probably thought that because Misty got the Togepi egg in the episode where an Aerodactyl and the other fossil Pokémon attacked Ash and his friends.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Like a lot of older fans, I thought Misty/Brock were actually good at battling when the OS was originally airing. In retrospect, and having watched all the battles of all the other male/female companions, Misty/Brock were probably the least competent battlers of most of the main cast during their original run.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
That all pokemon have the potential to be the best. Even if we have IV training now, natures, lame abilities and Hidden Power stats are still a thing.

Pokémon made me believe in hope... then summarily rpped it out of me and made me feel stupid for believing in it in the first place. Remember folks; the moral lesson of Pokémon is that no matter how hard you try, you will always come up short!
I think Ash's Story Arc from moment he lost to Harrison to the moment he lost to Alain has always been a good lesson is false hope TBH.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Ghost/Psychic types were both invincible and impossible to control for normal people. I remember being frustrated whenever Ash would dex Haunter and Gengar, and Dexter would have no entry, even into the Orange League. Even as a child it made no sense to me that Champion Drake knew his Gengar's capabilities, but a Pokedex didn't, and a baby Lapras could KO it with an Ice Beam/Night Shade explosion. Basically a huge cop-out.

Anime Sabrina was completely invincible, so I was always upset like when that ronin trainer had a Marsh Badge, but his only Pokemon was Marowak. Kadabra could redirect Thunder, Mewtwo could toss Nidoking/Arcanine like ragdolls, but a Marowak can beat Psychic? The overwhelming might of these types in such limited presentation is why fans at the time thought Ash would never get a Ghost/Psychic Pokemon, and why few other trainers had them.

Ghost-type invincibility is why Ghosts had phases in PASBL.

Kintaro

Banned
The original seasons did make Dragon and ghost pokemon seem like they were these "invincible" pokemon, not to mention psychic pokemon. It's why the main cast didn't get a dragon till Ash's Gible in DP, and why May wasn't allowed to keep Swablu.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ghost/Psychic types were both invincible and impossible to control for normal people. I remember being frustrated whenever Ash would dex Haunter and Gengar, and Dexter would have no entry, even into the Orange League. Even as a child it made no sense to me that Champion Drake knew his Gengar's capabilities, but a Pokedex didn't, and a baby Lapras could KO it with an Ice Beam/Night Shade explosion. Basically a huge cop-out.

Anime Sabrina was completely invincible, so I was always upset like when that ronin trainer had a Marsh Badge, but his only Pokemon was Marowak. Kadabra could redirect Thunder, Mewtwo could toss Nidoking/Arcanine like ragdolls, but a Marowak can beat Psychic? The overwhelming might of these types in such limited presentation is why fans at the time thought Ash would never get a Ghost/Psychic Pokemon, and why few other trainers had them.

Ghost-type invincibility is why Ghosts had phases in PASBL.
It's possible Sabrina went easier on Trainers after Ash and co. got rid of her issues.