1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid things you did in Pokémon games as a kid

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Jul 11, 2018.

1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

When we first played Pokémon, most of us were little kids who didn't really understand the game mechanics as well as we now do as adults. This meant that we ended up doing some particularly silly things in the game, due to our childhood naivety.

So what were some of those stupid things you did as a kid in the Pokémon games? I was also pretty young when I first started playing (like 5 or 6), so here's some of my cringey moments:

• Using a Master Ball on a Cascoon in Ruby
    • Fainting the legendaries because I thought you couldn't catch them
    • Using Pikachu, Pidgey or Caterpie against Brock in Yellow

2. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

-Using Master Ball on Snorlax because it kept spamming Rest
    -Trying to evolve Eevee into Espeon/Umbreon in FireRed
    -Thinking Fire attacks were super effective against Sudowoodo (I first saw this Pokemon on a Hiker's team in Ruin Valley)

3. ARG0

ARG0 Pokemon Researcher

Attempting to use Psychic on Umbreon with my Espeon... and not stopping after the first failure. In my defense, I was 6.

4. NovaBrunswick

In your defence, you kind of can get Espeon and Umbreon in FR/LG. Just trade your Eevee back to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, evolve them into Espeon or Umbreon at the right time, then trade them back to FR/LG. There you go! ;)

On Sudowoodo, I also thought he was a Grass-type at first, just because he looked like a tree. We even called him 'the tree guy'. :D

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  5. Morton Belgram

Morton Belgram Well-Known Member

I started a whole new game in Red to raise the most powerful Rattata of all time. I gave it moves like Thunderbolt and Ice Beam and trained it all the way to level 100. I was a stupid child brainwashed by the anime and I expected the game mechanics to be way more complicated than they were. By focusing so much on my Rattata, by training it naturally instead of using the Rare Candy glitch and by not evolving it into Radicate, I thought the game would register a special bond between me and my Rattate and make it more powerful, kinda like how Ash's relationship with Pikachu works.

6. NovaBrunswick

So your Rattata was, as Joey would say, a "top-percentage" Rattata. ;)

7. Wabblebabble123

Wabblebabble123 Ultimate Fortnite Noob

In Firered I leveled up my blastoise to level 93 and I finally beat the Elite 4

8. NovaBrunswick

Just your Blastoise? No other Pokémon?

9. Eryzol

Eryzol LEGEND

I deleted my save file with Arceus from Pokemon Pearl that I got from a special event (pokemon pearl) and I leveled up my palkia to level 80 to beat Cynthia (I was really young and had no idea how everything works)

10. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

What a wonderful thread! :D

• Trying to inherit moves such as Skill Swap, Hypnosis and Barrier to Pokemon which were unable to learn them through breeding or even tutoring.
    • Trying to get any ability on any Pokemon through breeding. Was disappointing to find out I cannot have a legit Arcanine with Speed Boost. :p
    • I was stubborn to evolve my Eevee into Jolteon in FR/LG during every ingame save (I deleted the old save a lot to replay the plot again) although it was difficult to teach it any useful moves before it was already time to face Elite Four. So usually my Jolteon was both underleveled and had poor movepool. So I could Thunder Wave one of the opponent's Pokemon and then my Jolty got pwned... but heck, I learnt to use that one chance pretty nicely!
    • Trying to flee trainer battles with Kadabra's teleport. Even while I learnt from one or two attempts I can't do that, I kept brainfarting about it pretty often.
    I tried that, too.

Only rich blastardos and social butterfrees have that chance, as you need another console or a friend who also plays Pokemon to do that.

11. Wabblebabble123

Wabblebabble123 Ultimate Fortnite Noob

90% is Blastoise.

12. NovaBrunswick

Oh yeah, I just thought of some more silly things I did in Pokémon when I was younger:

• Thinking Clair was a boy and Bugsy and Wallace were girls.
    • Thinking there would be only four Gym Leaders in Ruby/Sapphire after seeing a magazine article on them, which only talked about the Leaders up to Flannery.
    • Restarting my Yellow, naming myself Ash and not nicknaming my Pokémon. I was only up to Pewter City though.
    • Thinking there was this Pokémon overlord or god who was number 000 in the Pokédex and whose cry was every other Pokémon's cry played at once.
    • Not catching Lugia or the legendary dogs in Silver.

13. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

Hahah, there are some fan(atics) who would bash you unreasonably long period of time for simply assuming that! :'D I gotta admit, I also had imagined Bugsy was a woman until I started reading the lines while replaying HGSS. But imho it's cool Pokemon has androgynous characters AND characters which break the traditional gender roles, it makes people think!

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  14. NovaBrunswick

It also reminds me of that time in the anime where Ash thought Tate (of the Mossdeep Gym) was a girl.

Deadeye likes this.
  15. AuroraBeam

AuroraBeam Well-Known Member

I thought Tate was female until I saw the anime.

One dumb thing that was kinda both my brother's and my fault was I traded my manaphy that I got from Ranger to him so he could have it on his pokedex but never asked for it back. Then he started over on that file not realizing manaphy was still on there. We used to have 3 Toy'R'Us mews from 2006 too but I think the same thing happened to them because I can only find the one that was mine on any of our games. Whoops.

16. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Werewolf of London

I tried breeding a Feraligatr with a Gyarados. I wanted a Magikarp with teeth. XD (In either Silver Version or Crystal)

And for the lols whenever I was in the Safari Zone (RBY one), I'd throw rocks at Psyducks and Rhyhorns just to see how long it would take until they ran away.

NovaBrunswick and Deadeye like this.
  17. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

Dude, that would've been so cool! Imagine if you could get alternate forms like that in a future gen.

18. NovaBrunswick

I wonder why only Gen 1 'mons got alternate forms in Gen 7. It would've been cool to see an Alolan Meganium with hibiscus flowers (Grass/Fairy), or an Alolan Sceptile based on a coconut tree (Grass/Fighting).

19. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Werewolf of London

Yea that would be neat. I did that back before I knew about egg types. But it would be cool if Game Freak did more alternate forms in the future.

20. NovaBrunswick

Staying with breeding and egg hatching, I thought breeding two different Pokémon would make a fusion of the two, with a dual-type combo derived from its parents. For example, Pikachu x Raticate would make a Pikaraticate, an Electric/Normal type. So I know breeding doesn't really work like that, but it'd still be a cool idea, if a rather Farfetch'd one. (Pun!) ;)