1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid things you did in Pokémon games as a kid

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Wasting my GSC master balls on things not called the legendary dogs
    Or Suicune in Crystal

Worst time was catching Lapras in one.....
    Only roamers are graced with master balls now cause I don't got time for their ****

2. Oh I did/thought some stupid things in pokemon when I was a kid.
    - Used my master ball in blue on a pigeotto. Without knowing about the item duplication glitch with Missingno.
    - Always pressed A+Up when throwing a pokéball cause there was a rumor that it increased the chance to capture a pokemon back then. Heck I sometimes notice I still do this out of habit, I know it doesn't do anything.
    - Released my first starter, a then Wartortle in pokémon blue cause I didn't understand any English and accidentally pressed "release"
    - Didn't know how to save my game until my cousin showed me since I didn't understand English back then.
    - Thought Zubat, Abra and Ponyta were rare since there was this page in the instruction manual of Red/Blue that talked about one of a kind pokemon (obviously Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres and Mewtwo) and there happened to be random art of Zubat, Abra and Ponyta on that page. That idea lasted till I took 5 steps in Mt. Moon.
    - At first didn't know how to get out of the main character's house, I thought the entrance/doormat was a cupboard seen from above, ended up bumping against every object and wall in the house till I figured out I could step on it.

There's probably a ton more but these are the things that first came up in my mind.

3. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Ah yes, the ever-present hordes of Zubats, Ponytas and Abras. ;)

In your defence, Ponyta and Abra are sort of rare. Abra always uses Teleport, but that's more annoying than rare. Ponyta I think only appears in one patch of grass somewhere around Fuchsia City or Route 13, but I haven't really played the Kanto-only games that much.

I did this in the original Ruby with my Blaziken. Luckily I didn't save, so I just restarted it from my last save point.

I used it on something worse: a Dustox, also in the original Ruby. I never caught Groudon either, I thought Legendaries were like boss battles so you had to kill them. (Fortunately, by the time the remakes came out, I'd wisened up and successfully caught Groudon, but not after loads of Ultra Ball-throwing.)

4. Darthlord7

Darthlord7 La Squadra Leader

Time to unveil my stupidity:

-I thought legendaries were bosses so I was defeating them instead of catching them
    -I was resetting my progress for absolutely no reason
    -I pressed "Run" when I met a shiny more than once
    -Didn't know where Flash was useful damn language barrier
    -Smashing "A" button because I thought it would increase capture rate
    -Used Master Ball on a trainer's Pokemon because of a rumour I heard back at school that Master Balls can steal other trainer's Pokemon
    -Overleveling my starter Pokemon and catching only other Pokemon just for the Double Battles and HMs
    -Evolving Pokemon with stones before having access to their most powerful moves because I thought that only evolution would benefit my Pokemon's power which ended up just being a HM slave btw
    -Defeating Latios in Ruby and then saved my game because I got in the Pokedex and thought it would respawn again in the future so I can catch it

5. ((JAWS))

((JAWS)) Johto Boy

Only use my Charizard on Fire Red. Surprisingly beat everyone lol, even Gary’s blastoise.

Which made it pretty cool to watch Pokémon origins ending segment when Charizard handed it to Gary’s blastoise :p

6. Ignition

Ignition The face says more than any word can

I thought the anime was an animated exact replica of the games: I was legitimately confused why I didn't start my game with a Pikachu and an Aipom lol (I started with Diamond)

BR4VE and NovaBrunswick like this.
  7. NovaBrunswick

The games came first, then the anime.

8. Matt-kun

Matt-kun ナマコブシ 最高のポケモン

Using all 4 moves of same type of Pokemon's type, or 2 of each if it has 2 types, also only using all attacking movies.

Mashing buttons to increase capture rate, which I still do haha.

SubtleVVeirdoh and NovaBrunswick like this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I misused mine on a Lucky (Chansey) in Gold version since they're hard to find and I was an impatient child back then. So I feel your pain.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  10. NovaBrunswick

Why didn't you use it on one of the legendary dogs?

This one's a little more recent, but in OR, I was fighting Deoxys, and I threw my Master Ball because it was really late at night and I wasn't bothered to battle it. So maybe it's not THAT stupid, but there's harder legendaries to catch. I used loads of Ultra Balls just to catch Groudon. :confused:

11. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I hadn't met any of them yet by that point since my game was previously used and I didn't play through the Burned Tower event, so I didn't think of using the Master Ball on them. In fact, at that point I didn't even realize that they roamed the region in those games: I had assumed that they were stationed somewhere like the Legendary Birds.

12. NovaBrunswick

In Crystal and HG/SS, Suicune becomes a stationary encounter after you chase it across to Kanto. But the other two are still roamers.

13. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

I once thought Geodude had sparkly innards because I thought the name was an allusion to geode, a rock that you split open to reveal a shiny formation.

14. Argentarus

Argentarus Sun's Out, Scorbun's out

Deleted my Platinum file, had a shiny Pidgeot, a Mewtwo, a Ninetales with a lot of sentimental value, and lots more pokemon; iirc, it was because I was "bored" of my save file and wanted to start up another game. Didn't transfer any of them to another game before that, but I got "replacements" of a sort using Action Replay. There were probably a few more things I did with Red/Blue, Gold/Silver & Crystal, but I don't really remember that stuff. I mostly remember going back and forth on the Magnet Train. Thought that the things indicating where the main roads were in most of the towns were rails.
    Not much past that, I was a pretty sensible kid, and usually knew what was going on with Pokemon.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  15. NovaBrunswick

I thought the rails on Route 32 were on the ground. I didn't get far enough in the originals to see that they were in fact elevated, kind of like a monorail.

And another silly thing: I thought your character could get electrocuted if they walked straight on the rails leading out of the station in Goldenrod City. However, I've seen people in real life walk on rails at railway crossings, and they turned out just fine. o_O

16. I thought stat lowering moves permanently affected your Pokemon's stats.

17. pikanewb

pikanewb WiteMic

So I'm a genwunner. Like legit 90's genwunner. I did everything that was rumored in Gamepro and Nintendo Power. Oh, Mew is under a truck??? I'll stand there and try to catch it. Mashing B to make a capture easy??? MASH! Pikablu is in Cerulean Gym??? Let me waste my time. Mewthree is 152??? Why not.

... God I was a dumb kid... *still checking the truck*

18. NovaBrunswick

Pretty much everyone believed that 'Mew under the truck' rumour as a kid. Nintendo cleverly trolled us by putting a Lava Cookie under the truck in the remakes. :p

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  19. ArbuthnotBlob

ArbuthnotBlob Member

I started playing Ruby and Sapphire when I was 6 or 7, it was one of my very first videogames, so many dumb decisions:

- Choosing Torchic as my starter on the first several saves because I couldn't work out how to switch the Pokeballs (no, I have no idea how I managed that one)
    - Based on the one anime episode I had seen, assuming either the Pokemart or Pokemon Centre was actually a police station
    - Not exiting Oldale for ages because I thought I had to wait on the footprint man to finish looking in real-time, and I hadn't found the correct route to the north
    - Not finding the grassy path below cycling road for ages because I couldn't see it
    - Randomly using up my Thunderbolt TM on a Girafarig, I assumed it was an electric type because it was yellow
    - Pokemon with all attack movesets, all of them STAB < honestly only really ditched this one by Gen 5, took me nearly a decade to play with actual strategy
    - Saving underwater and quitting, then completely forgetting how to return from diving when I loaded it up again
    - Returning to Route 101 with Swampert and fainting all the Zigzagoon I could because I disliked them and thought I could kill them off??

There are probably way more, but these are the ones that stick in my memory!

Minedreigon and NovaBrunswick like this.
  20. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

Threw my first ever Master Ball at a lv. 9 Mankey