• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things you did in Pokémon games as a kid

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
I used to pronounce Lt. Surge’s name as LT Surge, with the letters spelled out. I only realised years later that the LT was actually short for Lieutenant, since he’s supposed to be an American soldier who fought in the war.

Speaking of him, I used to think that he fought in a Pokemon world-exclusive war, but I now think he meant the Vietnam War given his "Lightning American" title.

byconcept

Suicune as ‘Soo-koon’

That's how I still pronounce it.

-caught TWO shiny growlithes in firered and didn't understand what their significance was so I left them in my pc and never used them
-endlessly levelling up pikachu and not understanding why it never evolved
-hoarding all my items and never using them even when I actually needed them
-thinking you had to get a pokemon's HP as low as possible to catch it (so long as its in the red and you've hit it with a status condition ie paralyze, you're good. Trying to get it t o 1HP actually doesn't make a difference. This video explains it well
)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
For my first generation, Gen 2, I had no clue that trade evolutions existed. Some of the coolest Pokemon I thought were Scizor, Gengar and Steelix. So I caught Scyther, Haunter and an Onix, using rare candies, items, leveling up them as high as somewhere in the Lv. 80s. You know who did finally evolved at the Lv. 80s. My Eevee into an Umbreon lol. I had no clue how Eevee evolved into an Umbreon at the time and tried using a moonstone. There was a moonstone and a sunstone and there was Umbreon and Espeon, so my logic dictated that they evolved through this... only they didn't. While I was wasting rare candies and medicines on the trade evolutions, I was wondering how the heck does Eevee evolve into Umbreon? This got even more confusing by the time I got Ruby version and Leafgreen version which does not have the Day & Night cycle lol... which heavily conflicts with XD Gale of Darkness where you can evolve Eevee into Umbreon through the Moon Shard.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Speaking of him, I used to think that he fought in a Pokemon world-exclusive war, but I now think he meant the Vietnam War given his "Lightning American" title.

It seems likely, given that in the timeframe of the Gen 1 games, he could be old enough to have fought in that war.

-caught TWO shiny growlithes in firered and didn't understand what their significance was so I left them in my pc and never used them

At least you caught them. Many haven’t been as lucky… ;)

-endlessly levelling up pikachu and not understanding why it never evolved

This wasn’t in Yellow where you’re stuck with Pikachu for the entire game?

This isn’t really something stupid I thought as a kid, but more recent - like ‘a year or two ago’ recent: I thought Ilima, the first Trial Captain in Alola, was a girl when they first revealed him in a Sun/Moon trailer. It’s probably because of the hair and eyes, like Bugsy, but it wasn’t until I actually played Sun that I found out Ilima was actually a boy.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I didn’t know where Flash was so I went through Rock Tunnel without it. I was wondering why they made it so hard.

Theoretically, you can go through any dark place without Flash, as it’s not actually necessary. It’s just really hard, as eight-year-old me found out in Silver. Gen 7 does away with Flash altogether, as I don’t remember any point in Sun/Moon where it’s used.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
OK, I just remembered another really stupid thing I did in a Pokémon game, though this was a bit more recent. I’d caught a Feebas in Black, and I wanted to evolve it into Milotic. I already had a Prism Scale which I think I picked up on a beach, so I gave it to my Feebas and I went around defeating high-levelled wild Pokémon so it could level up. I got it up to around level 75, but it never evolved, and I was like: “What? Why isn’t it evolving?” So I looked it up on good old Bulbapedia, and I realised you had to trade Feebas with the Prism Scale so it could become a Milotic. Oops. :oops:

Still, at least I got that Feebas up to such a high level. ;)

(Looking on Bulbapedia again, I realise now that you can find wild Milotic in the water on Route 1 by fishing in rippling water, but that only happens 5% of the time. I think they removed the trade requirement in OR/AS, however, because of the return of Contests.)

Last edited:

SapphireRose

Morning☼Sun
My biggest Pokémon regret is managing to catch shiny Duskull and Gloom as random encounters (on the same day! and the same day that my best friend caught a shiny Oddish in the Safari Zone "why is this Oddish greeeeen??") on Ruby and restarting the game without keeping them cuz I didn't know what shines were nor how rare they are. :<

EDIT@NovaBrunswick: I know, right?? It was utter craziness, but only while looking back at it.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
My biggest Pokémon regret is managing to catch shiny Duskull and Gloom as random encounters (on the same day! and the same day that my best friend caught a shiny Oddish in the Safari Zone "why is this Oddish greeeeen??") on Ruby and restarting the game without keeping them cuz I didn't know what shines were nor how rare they are. :<

You and your friend must've been mega lucky to find shinies on the same day. :eek:

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I used to give all my trainers the same name (my name which is Alfred) but that got really confusing so in heart gold I did my name but with the second letter capitalised as well as the first so it was like ALfred which now kinda annoys me cause it looks dumb in the OT names of my traded pokemon, from then on I've been giving my trainers different name, originally it was just variations on Alfred like Alpha, Alfie and Frodo but my ultra sun trainer name is Cheese and in let's go Eevee it's Merlin (and my rival is called Mordred).

Missingno.Fan

I walked through Rock Tunnel in the dark, thinking why did they make this game so hard. I also bought the Magikarp because I thought that was the only way to get one.