• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things you did in Pokémon games as a kid

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
  • When breeding was introduced in Gen 2 thought it would give you a new Pokémon altogether.
  • Using Pikachu on Brock
  • Having like 2 or 3 STAB moves on one Pokémon.
  • Waiting for the S.S. Anne to return
  • Trying to catch Ghost with PokeBalls

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Here's one. I used to evolve Clefairy as soon as I got a Moon Stone. Yeah, whoops.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Just try to beat green with just lv 25 raichu in Pokemon blue ......it is stupid but it is some how work ......even i still in shock about it. I was probably 9 years old at time.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Here's one. I used to evolve Clefairy as soon as I got a Moon Stone. Yeah, whoops.

In Black, I evolved my Pansage as soon as I got a Leaf Stone (I think the clown at the entrance to Castelia City gives you the stone corresponding to your elemental monkey's type). That meant I missed out on Crunch, so he got stuck with Bite for the whole game. At least Bite has that chance to cause flinching.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i messed up the yellow and silver games with my gameshark back then. the games still work normally without the gameshark but now some functions of the gameshark dont work on the 2 games.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
- Releasing pokemon. I can't remember why but I went through a phase where I caught and released pokemon constantly in gold.

- Evolving my torchic to a Blaziken. In Sapphire I couldn't work out how to move on to Petelburg because of the weirdo looking at his own footprints so I trained my torchic all the way to a Blaziken...

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
I thought stat lowering moves permanently affected your Pokemon's stats.

Yep, thought this too.

My first use of the Master Ball was on a Pikachu in the Trophy Garden.

At the Battle Factory in Platinum, I thought the option to swap out Pokémon with your opponent after each battle was actually an option allowing me to permanently trade one of my party Pokémon for one of the Lv 100 Pokémon you get to use there, and was willing to trade off my starter for one before realising that wasn’t how it worked at all.

I thought the Fire Stone would evolve any fire type, and was confused when my Monferno couldn’t evolve with it.

In a different playthrough of Platinum, I trained my Piplup all the way up to Empoleon in the grass outside of Eterna City, “strategically” avoiding a grass type weakness by gaining the steel type.

By BW I had wised up to these things and could play competently.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'm not sure if this would count as something stupid I did in the games, but we used to call Professor Birch (Hoenn's professor) Professor B*tch. How our parents didn't wise up to this, I have no idea. Maybe when we were kids, we didn't know what a birch was or how to say it, so we just said "b*tch" because that was the closest thing we could say. o_O

- Releasing pokemon. I can't remember why but I went through a phase where I caught and released pokemon constantly in gold.

I once released my Blaziken in Ruby because I just wanted to find out what happened if you released your starter. Luckily I'd saved beforehand, so I could restart the game and have my beloved Blaziken back. :D

- Evolving my torchic to a Blaziken. In Sapphire I couldn't work out how to move on to Petelburg because of the weirdo looking at his own footprints so I trained my torchic all the way to a Blaziken...

You were supposed to fight May first on the route north of Oldale, then the footprint guy would realise he was just looking at Pokémon footprints and move out of the way for you.

My first use of the Master Ball was on a Pikachu in the Trophy Garden.

At least it was a Pikachu, those are pretty rare. If it was something like a Wurmple, however...

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I'm not sure if this would count as something stupid I did in the games, but we used to call Professor Birch (Hoenn's professor) Professor B*tch. How our parents didn't wise up to this, I have no idea. Maybe when we were kids, we didn't know what a birch was or how to say it, so we just said "b*tch" because that was the closest thing we could say. o_O

OH GOD I FORGOT ABOUT NAMES. So I was a thick kid and couldn't read properly (still have trouble sometimes) so I mispronounced SO MUCH as a kid.
- Fuchsia City was 'Furasia' (I STILL catch myself doing this one)
- Ekruteak City was 'Erritick'
- Lt. Surge was 'Lt. Sarge'
- Lorelei was 'Lorelly'
- Cyrus was 'Kyrius'
- Curse (GODDAMN CURSE, A REAL WORD) was 'Cruse'

You were supposed to fight May first on the route north of Oldale, then the footprint guy would realise he was just looking at Pokémon footprints and move out of the way for you.

He thought they were pokemon footsteps but they turned out to be his own. I know that now... This sorta ties in with the 'dipsh*t kid who can't read' thing

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Resetting my save file in Pokémon Silver multiple times because:
  • A. I couldn't find a way to reach beyond Vermillion.
  • B. I had no idea, nor my kid mind understood on my own, to find an electronic device via fishing in Misty's GYM.
  • C. Stuck on S.S Anne.
  • D. Using a Master Ball on Onix at Mt. Silver.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
OH GOD I FORGOT ABOUT NAMES. So I was a thick kid and couldn't read properly (still have trouble sometimes) so I mispronounced SO MUCH as a kid.
- Fuchsia City was 'Furasia' (I STILL catch myself doing this one)
- Ekruteak City was 'Erritick'
- Lt. Surge was 'Lt. Sarge'
- Lorelei was 'Lorelly'
- Cyrus was 'Kyrius'
- Curse (GODDAMN CURSE, A REAL WORD) was 'Cruse'

I used to pronounce Lt. Surge’s name as LT Surge, with the letters spelled out. I only realised years later that the LT was actually short for Lieutenant, since he’s supposed to be an American soldier who fought in the war.

I also used to say:

• Suicune as ‘Soo-koon’
  • Raikou as ‘Ray-koo’
  • Raichu as ‘Ray-choo’ (still do)
  • Plusle as ‘Ploo-sle’
  • Minun as ‘Minnun’
Even now, I still pronounce a lot of Pokémon’s names wrong. I keep saying Brionne as ‘Bry-oh-nee’, when it’s simply pronounced ‘Bree-on’.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I used to pronounce Lt. Surge’s name as LT Surge, with the letters spelled out. I only realised years later that the LT was actually short for Lieutenant, since he’s supposed to be an American soldier who fought in the war.

I also used to say:

• Suicune as ‘Soo-koon’
  • Raikou as ‘Ray-koo’
  • Raichu as ‘Ray-choo’ (still do)
  • Plusle as ‘Ploo-sle’
  • Minun as ‘Minnun’
Even now, I still pronounce a lot of Pokémon’s names wrong. I keep saying Brionne as ‘Bry-oh-nee’, when it’s simply pronounced ‘Bree-on’.

My friend used to pronounce suicune as "suh-seen" and it drove me INSANE.

Cat's Eye Draco

Oh, gosh, I did that too. Still do, actually, out of force of habit. After saying it for so long "Lieutenant" just doesn't sound right. xD

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Oh, gosh, I did that too. Still do, actually, out of force of habit. After saying it for so long "Lieutenant" just doesn't sound right. xD

Lieutenant is one of those words that’s not pronounced like it’s spelled. In British English it’s pronounced Left-tenant, but American English pronounces it a little more like how it’s supposed to sound. Calling him 'Left-tenant' Surge just sounds weird, even to me - and I’m a Brit. xD

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Who else thought Rock was immune to Electric and Electric was weak to Rock? I probably blame Brock for this one. XD

Last edited:

BR4VE

Omega Ruby Base on Route 118, Right Side Beach
So I'm a genwunner. Like legit 90's genwunner. I did everything that was rumored in Gamepro and Nintendo Power. Oh, Mew is under a truck??? I'll stand there and try to catch it. Mashing B to make a capture easy??? MASH! Pikablu is in Cerulean Gym??? Let me waste my time. Mewthree is 152??? Why not.

... God I was a dumb kid... *still checking the truck*
I remember the rumor of using strength on the truck near the S.S. Anne to find New, in the original Blue/Red version, even Yellow and the Pikablue rumor I was just recalling that the other day and thought maybe that rumor meant Marril.

BR4VE

Omega Ruby Base on Route 118, Right Side Beach
In Yellow version my most powerful pokemon was a Pidgeot, the other 5 Pokemon I had in party were really low in level and pretty much useless in the Pokemon League. I used this pidgeot several times in the Pokemon League after, several fails my pidgeot was in the level 90s and I finally won with just pidgeot and a-lot of the moves Fly. I had to replenish pp, too.