• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things you used the Master Ball on

TwilightBlade

I used one of my two Master Balls from Emerald on a Chimecho because I heard it was rare and hard to come by. :[

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Does using a Master ball on a shiny Psyduck count? Because I definitely felt dumb for wasting my precious Master ball on that shiny when I could've used a Lure ball or something instead...

At least it was shiny. :rolleyes:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used Masterball on Suicune, on Crystal.

Not sure if it counts as stupid but I tossed my Master Ball at Suicune in Crystal even though it was a stationary Pokemon that I could have easily caught with an Ultra Ball

You probably still thought it was a roaming Pokémon like the other two beasts.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used a master ball a few months ago on Zacian. I know I could have probably waited and used it practically (since it's a story element) but oh well.

I used mine on Eternatus so don’t feel bad.

What are Zacian/Zamazenta and Eternatus's catch rates? I know the catch rate of legendaries post-Gen 5 is significantly higher due to most of them now being part of the story.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
You cannot fail catching Eternatus. It will always be caught no matter which Ball you use on it.

So you could use something like a Love Ball (can you even get those in Sword/Shield?) and it'd be a 100% success rate. But then you'd also have little love hearts on a big bad poison dragon. :p

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
So you could use something like a Love Ball (can you even get those in Sword/Shield?) and it'd be a 100% success rate. But then you'd also have little love hearts on a big bad poison dragon. :p
Pretty much. And you currently get one of each of the Apricorn Balls from the Poké Ball Guy mascot in each of the stadiums. An additional one of each if you did the Mystery Gift via Code a couple months back. The Expansion Pass will allow you to get some more but I forgot which half it will be in.

Siddhar

Transcend
I was astounded back when I was ten. I thought like every other ball, you could buy the Master Ball from Pokemarts and caught a Medicham with it near Snowpoint city in hopes of trading it for a Haunter to get Gengar. Double disappointment, it was overkill.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I was astounded back when I was ten. I thought like every other ball, you could buy the Master Ball from Pokemarts and caught a Medicham with it near Snowpoint city in hopes of trading it for a Haunter to get Gengar. Double disappointment, it was overkill.

Well, to be fair, the guy back in the Silph Co. office did say it wasn't in stores yet, so that implies they'll be available to buy just like any other Poké Ball in the future. But I think if they actually ever did that, the Master Ball would lose its uniqueness in being the only ball with a 100% catch rate, and people would just throw it at things like a Pidgey or a Rattata. :p

Siddhar

Transcend
But I think if they actually ever did that, the Master Ball would lose its uniqueness in being the only ball with a 100% catch rate, and people would just throw it at things like a Pidgey or a Rattata. :p
Little did my ten-year-old self know that. But you're right, haha! I generally avoid using the master ball, didn't use it in Kalos or Alola, but to avoid any deaths in my Omega Ruby nuzlocke, I used the master ball to capture Primal Groudon. :p

Coolio35

When i was playing Pokemon Colosseum i had a boss fight against Nascour. When Naccour picked Metagross I used the masterball because i thougt he was the final boss, but i was wrong. Okay i could reset the game but i played very long without saving, so i decided to catch the Tyrantor with a hyperball.

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
When i was playing Pokemon Colosseum i had a boss fight against Nascour. When Naccour picked Metagross I used the masterball because i thougt he was the final boss, but i was wrong. Okay i could reset the game but i played very long without saving, so i decided to catch the Tyrantor with a hyperball.
Metagross is the toughest Pokémon to catch in Colosseum. Tyranitar is way easier due to its catch rate, so don't feel bad. I mean, by pure luck, I caught Metagross with ONE Timer Ball and used my Master Ball on Tyranitar since I already caught the Johto trio and Metagross itself :p

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
What are Zacian/Zamazenta and Eternatus's catch rates?

I won't talk about Eternatus since someone else already done that, but Zacian and Zamazenta have a catch rate of 10, making them quite hard to catch for something the game forces you to do.

Zacian in particular can be an absolute nightmare, that low catch rate plus attack boost at the start on something with 170 base attack is difficult to deal with with and it has Swords Dance to boost it even higher. I personally wouldn't call using the Master Ball on that stupid considering the potential of how it can easily sweep your team if it lasts too long.

Zamazenta is a lot easier to deal with because it's more about defense, if anything this actually makes it easier to weaken to catch it despite it's low catch rate, so not using the Master Ball on it makes a bit more sense.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Zacian in particular can be an absolute nightmare, that low catch rate plus attack boost at the start on something with 170 base attack is difficult to deal with with and it has Swords Dance to boost it even higher. I personally wouldn't call using the Master Ball on that stupid considering the potential of how it can easily sweep your team if it lasts too long.

Zamazenta is a lot easier to deal with because it's more about defense, if anything this actually makes it easier to weaken to catch it despite it's low catch rate, so not using the Master Ball on it makes a bit more sense.

Makes sense, why else would they be the sword and shield Pokémon? ;):D

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

I'm not sure if this could be considered stupid, but I used the Master Ball on Deoxys in Omega Ruby, because I was playing late at night and wasn't really bothered to weaken it. In Sun, I used the Master Ball on Nebby after it became Solgaleo, because I also wasn't really bothered to fight it either.

I once caught a Hippopotas with my spare Master Ball in Diamond version when I played through it for the first time, because I thought that the darker coloration on the Hippopotas meant that it was a Shiny. It wasn't until later that I realized that it was just a gender difference.

Why did you have two Master Balls in Diamond? It wasn't until B2/W2 that you could get more than one. :confused:

Last edited: