• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupidest OT/Nicknamed Mons you EVER got from trades?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Had a weird one lately...

Can't name a Snorlax, Catching Z's (or CatchingZ's). The censor won't allow it.

Can name it... Z's or Z Catcher.

Makes no sense at all.

This is from Let's Go.

Now I know why.

Thanks @Gamzee Makara.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
"Ching" is the racism it's detecting(Context is for human oversight).
Good point there. Missed that. Dammit humans and their racism.

Can't even give poor Snorlax a joke name now... :(

Guess it was an overlook given that I read it as a full word. My bad.

Gonna try Catch Z's to see if that works.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
A totem Gumshoos named Covfefe. Released him.

I've heard a lot of people name Yungoos or Gumshoos Donald Trump, because of their uncanny resemblance to the 45th President. XD

A Probopass named "KeelAllJoos" Holding a Flame Orb.

Released, blocked and reported the OT.

Doesn't help that Probopass once attracted controversy because it was allegedly a Jewish stereotype...

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I've heard a lot of people name Yungoos or Gumshoos Donald Trump, because of their uncanny resemblance to the 45th President. XD

Doesn't help that Probopass once attracted controversy because it was allegedly a Jewish stereotype...
I got one named Trump before! Laughed my butt off at it XD. Named a shiny Muk Donald Trump. Planning on changing it to Nuclear Waste though.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I got one named Trump before! Laughed my butt off at it XD. Named a shiny Muk Donald Trump. Planning on changing it to Nuclear Waste though.

I wonder if Nintendo made the resemblance intentional?

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I wonder if Nintendo made the resemblance intentional?
I don't think so. I think I saw an interview about that awhile back and they said it wasn't.

Aha. Think I found it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...on-is-not-based-on-donald-trump/#1929c754dfc5

When asked the question about Gumshoos' similarity to Donald Trump, Masuda replied, “It’s a very American-centric question I think, and actually a lot of people sent me comparison photos on Twitter pointing out the resemblance. But we had started the design of this Pokémon a long time back, and we didn’t have any intention to make it look like Donald Trump.”

To which Ohmori commented, “We don’t really look at current events that are going on, but one thing we do do sometimes when designing Pokémon is kind of see what kids of that era might like. Like for example maybe if there’s like a popular animal as a pet in a certain era then we might wanna try to come up with a certain Pokémon based off of that, to kind of really just focus on what kids of this era might like.”

However, Masuda did agree that there is a rather uncanny resemblance to Donald Trump, “Yeah, we were really surprised when I saw those photos. I can see why people would think it would look similar, especially the hair style.”

Source: forbes

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I don't think so. I think I saw an interview about that awhile back and they said it wasn't.

Aha. Think I found it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...on-is-not-based-on-donald-trump/#1929c754dfc5

Source: forbes

Pokémon based on real people aren't a new thing. Kadabra was allegedly based on the psychic Uri Geller, and its Japanese name is even something like 'Yurigera'. This controversy - along with the fact that a symbol that looked like a swastika appeared on its TCG card - meant that Kadabra essentially does not appear on trading cards anymore. Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are inspired by the martial artist actors Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. I wonder if anyone's named a Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan those? ;)

I encountered a Trainer named Bill Cosby in sun Plaza. Had a high level shop in there from him too. It was kinda funny seeing the clerk going "Its highly recommended by Bill Cosby". This was before he was found guilty btw.

I think the allegations against him were known at that time, but there was not yet enough evidence for it to be confirmed outright.

I once got a lv. 100 Abomasnow from Wonder Trade. The person who sent it was called Satan and OT was Gay Boy.

Probably had other funny ones too, but this is the only one I can remember.

Was the Abomasnow itself called anything funny?

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Pokémon based on real people aren't a new thing. Kadabra was allegedly based on the psychic Uri Geller, and its Japanese name is even something like 'Yurigera'. This controversy - along with the fact that a symbol that looked like a swastika appeared on its TCG card - meant that Kadabra essentially does not appear on trading cards anymore. Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are inspired by the martial artist actors Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. I wonder if anyone's named a Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan those? ;)

I think the allegations against him were known at that time, but there was not yet enough evidence for it to be confirmed outright.

Was the Abomasnow itself called anything funny?
Yea I remember the Kadabra thing and the lawsuit. I have one of the cards :p. Named mine in Let's Go, Lawsuit, as kind of a joke towards the Uri Geller thing. I remember those too ;).

And was able to rename one of my Snorlaxes, Catch Z's.

Last edited:

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Pokémon based on real people aren't a new thing. Kadabra was allegedly based on the psychic Uri Geller, and its Japanese name is even something like 'Yurigera'. This controversy - along with the fact that a symbol that looked like a swastika appeared on its TCG card - meant that Kadabra essentially does not appear on trading cards anymore.

Are you talking about the card "Koga's Ninja Tricks"? Because I have it with the "Omote Manji" (A.K.A "The Four L" for Love, Luck, Life and Light) on it. Why calling it a swastika when it is NOT an Ura Manji (means Power, Wisdom, Courage and Kindness) which the Nazis sadly soiled its meaning :( I am Jewish and I wasn't offended at all, because I know the differences between the good luck Manji and nasty Swastika...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Are you talking about the card "Koga's Ninja Tricks"? Because I have it with the "Omote Manji" (A.K.A "The Four L" for Love, Luck, Life and Light) on it. Why calling it a swastika when it is NOT an Ura Manji (means Power, Wisdom, Courage and Kindness) which the Nazis sadly soiled its meaning :( I am Jewish and I wasn't offended at all, because I know the differences between the good luck Manji and nasty Swastika...

It’s one of those cases where something in Japan can mean something else entirely elsewhere.