• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stuuuuff

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Okay so, I kinda just figured out how to re-color/fuse sprites, like, last week, so I went ahead and did these~
STUFFcopy.png

Yeah the fusions are really simple and not that good, I haven't even TOUCHED pixel art up until now XD
Also, I only have paint to work with.. unless I can use photoshop for something...
Tips and such would be much appreciated~
Especially in concern with scratching outlines, cuz I have no meepin clue what color I'm supposed to make what XD

Mizz

they're quite good but the outlines should be just a darker version of the darkest colour, or you could copy the colour off the sprite you're recolouring as. On absol, the ones on the face are too light, and the outlines on the vulpix looks strange.

also i would tend to recolour the pokemon i'm using as the base in a fusion as the pokemon i'm fusing it with

i think my favourite's the buneary ^^

also, have you heard of the eraser trick?

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Thanks~ Yeah, but it changes based on the area, right?
That absol did turn out strange looking |D I used Darkrai's colors as a base, but I think I should've added some others...
Which Vulpix looks odd? Or do all of them look strange?

I think, if it's the one where you can color over only a certain color with a different color, then yeah, that's what I use~

Anyway, here's another sprite~
foxgrowlithe.png

I tried a bit of scratching on this one, I edited the ears by making them pointed and filling in the body where the ear was, I made front paws more paw like (I kinda failed on that |D), and used eevee's tail. I tried adding another stripe to the tail, but it looked weird....
Really basic, my goal was to make a fox-looking growlithe
EDIT: Made the muzzle thinner.

Last edited:

Mizz

'When doing your lines, try to get the pixels diagonal to each other rather that do your line in a zigzag. For example, rather than going,

"Left one, up one, left one,"

Do,

"Left one, diagonal upper left, left one."

Sounds confusing, I know, but it will make your sprites look one heck of a lot better.'

Just a quote from a sprite site I know, seeing as I couldn't explain it properly x3

Look at the paw on the growlithe. If you fixed that up a bit it would look good. It's a very good sprite otherwise.

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Ah! Thanks that helps~
Okay, I edited both paws a little bit, based on that.
foxgrowlithe-1.png

I also made a grass type persian~
grasstypepersian.png
grasstypepersian2.png

I think I like the brown one better...
Took the head leaf from Bayleef, edited the base of it to make it wider so it looked more perspective accurate, took the tail from chikorita.

Mizz

That's very good ^^

However, remember when fusing, you've got to edit the shading sometimes so it matches the light source on the original sprite.

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Okie~
I practiced re-shading fused parts on this one:
togemew.png

I re-shaded the tail and thigh(?) I scratched the foot too.
Erg, I've never been very good at shading |D

Mizz

yes that looks better ^^

also, transparentising helps too ^^ colour in the backround a different colour than one that's on the sprite, go to iaza.com, upload the sprite, go to transparent option and it explains it from there. if you click on the sprite on the main page you get the url. if you want, you can then save the sprite and upload it to photobucket because iaza tends to delete sprites after a while.

Northern Lights

[BritishSarcasm]
You can recolour well without leaving the outline the wrong colour or having odd pixels left with the original colour.

The fusions however are simply copy and paste - challenge yourself and try to scratch the parts you're fusing on, that way you can get them to fit more naturally and adjust the shading to how you see fit.

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
yes that looks better ^^

also, transparentising helps too ^^ colour in the backround a different colour than one that's on the sprite, go to iaza.com, upload the sprite, go to transparent option and it explains it from there. if you click on the sprite on the main page you get the url. if you want, you can then save the sprite and upload it to photobucket because iaza tends to delete sprites after a while.
Hm, I'll have to try that~
You can recolour well without leaving the outline the wrong colour or having odd pixels left with the original colour.

The fusions however are simply copy and paste - challenge yourself and try to scratch the parts you're fusing on, that way you can get them to fit more naturally and adjust the shading to how you see fit.

Thank you~!

Yes, there's almost no scratched parts on my fusions right now |D (only a tiny bit to make the parts fit)
But I'm working on that a little more as I get better with scratching.

Right now I'm working on a fox arcanine (as a kind of followup to the fox growlithe) and I'm having to do the tail completely from scratch... here it is so far.
foxarcanine.png

I already edited the ears and muzzle.
That random tail part in the lower right hand corner is what I'm thinking of replacing his current tail tip with, but I think it still needs more work before I paste it on there......
I need heeeeeelp D:

Northern Lights

[BritishSarcasm]
Right now I'm working on a fox arcanine (as a kind of followup to the fox growlithe) and I'm having to do the tail completely from scratch... here it is so far.
foxarcanine.png

I already edited the ears and muzzle.
That random tail part in the lower right hand corner is what I'm thinking of replacing his current tail tip with, but I think it still needs more work before I paste it on there......
I need heeeeeelp D:

That's good - i like the tufty tail better than the one you have at the moment.

The shading caught my attention - see that highlight part of his tail? it's almost a straight line between the two shades, curve that round a bit more. Then theres that kink in his tail, where it curves up then goes flat, then curves again.

Other than those little things i spotted, i'd say thats quite good for a first scratch part fusion.

I made a Scartch Fusion tutorial, it's posted in the spriting tutorial thread, don't know if that will help or not.

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Okay, I rounded the highlight. as well as the tail itself, I still don't know if the tufty tail end is "done". It looks odd to me, but I really don't know what to do with it :/
foxarcanine-1.png

Mizz

on the top right i think it is, on the tail, you've done the line in a zigzagy thing instead of a diagonal sort of thing :p

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Yet another really basic fusion! Yay~
esponair.png

I don't really like the tail(I had to scratch some of it), and the gems seem odd to me....
Halp appreciated~ :3

Last edited:

Mizz

well, i dunno, it's uploaded as .jpg strangely. I think it's the bitmap because from my experience they upload as .jpgs