• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sudden thought about EVs

zlxq3000

Master Collector
This is just something that popped into my head; I'm not sure if it works, but I just wonder if it's possible.

EVs stack over time, as most people here know. The effects of them are usually not seen until very very far into a pokemon's lifespan. However, I've been grinding a Venusaur in FireRed (third-gen game, I know, but I figure this can apply to current games, too) in a very time-consuming way: each time I go to a place that I have to go through, I level him up one level per patch of grass. I've gotten him up to level 53 (and only have the ThunderBadge -_-), but I think that the effects of the EVs have started to show; its HP and Speed are WAY too high, at 176 and 138 respectively, when the highest they can possibly be is 164 and 106 respectively. The rest of its stats aren't anything special; in fact, his Special Defense is somewhere in the 0-1 region. I think that this happened because of it battling enemies much, much weaker than it because of it being leveled up so much so early into the game.

My question is this, and I'll use this Venusaur as an example: If I were to feed my Venusaur a bunch of Pomeg and Tamato berries and began having it battle against solely, say, Geodudes and Abras to gain Defense and Special Defense EVs, would it retain the ridiculous HP and Speed it has, even slightly, by the time it's completely leveled up?

I only ask because this could have a super-drastic effect on EV training methods; even if the boost of having a pokemon's old ridiculous stat is 1 above the norm, it would still be 1 point higher than an opponent's who didn't do this type of training. I figure someone who knows more about EVs than I do could probably answer this. It's just something that came to me out of the blue, so if it's a stupid assumption, that's fine. I'm not a huge expert on EVs or anything. I just figure that a stat having such a massive amount over what it should be would have some impact on it later, even if the EVs for those stats are reduced in exchange for EVs in other stats.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
but I think that the effects of the EVs have started to show; its HP and Speed are WAY too high, at 176 and 138 respectively, when the highest they can possibly be is 164 and 106 respectively.

I stoped reading after this so tell me if I missed anything. The highest HP and Spe a Lv53 Venusaur can have is actually 197 and 152 respecively. .

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
If you used EV-reducing berry on it, obviously the HP & Speed will drop.....provided there are EVs in those two stats, that is.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
I stoped reading after this so tell me if I missed anything. The highest HP and Spe a Lv53 Venusaur can have is actually 197 and 152 respecively. .

Well I was going by IV calculators, so that's what I was basing my "this is the highest it can go" statements on.

If you used EV-reducing berry on it, obviously the HP & Speed will drop.....provided there are EVs in those two stats, that is.

Well yeah, he won't gain points in those stats anymore, but will he keep semi-boosted stats for the rest of his life if I were to remove the EVs from those scores? That's kind of what I want to know in a nutshell.

JosJuice

Slightly inactive
Well yeah, he won't gain points in those stats anymore, but will he keep semi-boosted stats for the rest of his life if I were to remove the EVs from those scores? That's kind of what I want to know in a nutshell.
His semi-boosted stats will be removed when the EV reducing berries are used.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
of course they won't.....which is why I said the stat will drop.

EVs are the boost to the stat, if you remove the EVs via the berry, it's the same as removing the boost.