• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Suggestions and Advice for Improving my Dark-Type Team?

Absol197

Good day all!

I've loved Dark-types since Gen II, and I'm finally trying to get into competitive Pokémon. The format is specifically the standard Doubles format. Problem is... team-building is tough to learn at the best of times, and when you're placing as many arbitrary restrictions on yourself as I am, it gets even rougher.

Is there some kind soul who would be willing to help me optimize? I'm mostly looking for moveset/item/EV & Nature optimization, as I don't want to change the team members if I don't have to, but I recognize that most Dark-types... kinda suck right now (stupid Fairies...), and most of the ones I love most... tend to suck the most. *Sigh* So, if necessary, I will be willing to consider swapping out some members for other species. Mainly to add SS Urshifu, but I'll consider others (except Grimmsnarl).

And now, with that out of the way, the team as they stand right now!

Umbreon (One of my two shinies and top three favorite mons, so I'm probably not dropping her, but I can change her loadout)
+Def/-SpAtk; 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Def
Synchronize, Leftovers
Foul Play, Yawn, Detect, Moonlight

Liepard (Looking for a Prankster Liepard; if anyone has one they're willing to trade, I'd be much obliged! Current set is assuming I'll find one eventually, but Ability until then is Unburden)
+Atk/-SpAtk; 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spd
Prankster, Focus Sash
Lash Out, Fake Out, Taunt, Yawn

Tyranitar (Swapped out my previous Weavile for her; min. speed in case of Trick Room)
+Atk/-Spd; 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 HP (no good Spd IV)
Sand Stream, Chople Berry
Lash Out, Rock Slide, High Horsepower, Protect

Bisharp
+Atk/-SpAtk; ~180 HP, ~180 Atk, ~100 Spd (I forget her exact EV spread)
Defiant, Assault Vest
Sucker Punch, Iron Head, Stone Edge, Psycho Cut

Malamar
+Spd, -SpAtk; 126 Def, 126 SpDef, 200 Atk, 52 Spd
Contrary, Choice Scarf
Superpower, Liquidation, Hypnosis, Switcheroo

Zoroark (my other shiny, and another of my top 3 favorites; not getting rid of her!)
+SpAtk, -Atk; 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Illusion, Choice Specs
Night Daze, Grass Knot, Sludge Bomb, Extrasensory

So that's the squad. Any suggestions? Please not "Don't use a Dark-type team." :) I'm well aware that it's a bad idea, but it's what I'm doing!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, for Liepard and Zoroark specifically, I am intending to look through and see what threats they need to outspeed (in Liepard's case, only for Lash Out), and that may allow some EVs to be sliced off of Spd and put elsewhere. I just haven't had the opportunity yet. and with my Umbreon… unfortunately, she would be best with min speed for Trick room... but unfortunately, I didn't think of that when originally building her, and I've already hyper-trained her Speed. So... min speed is not possible.

Last edited:

Absol197

I've made some changes to the squad. Here's the new loadout. Again, suggestions for improvements are welcome!

Umbreon
+Def/-SpAtk; 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Def
Synchronize, Leftovers
Foul Play, Yawn, Detect, Moonlight

Liepard (I'm actually okay with her being Unburden; it makes messing people up possible even with Psychic Terrain, which has been helpful!)
+Spd/-SpAtk; 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spd
Unburden, Focus Sash
Charm, Fake Out, Taunt, Yawn

Tyranitar
+Atk/-Spd; 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 HP (no good Spd IV)
Sand Stream, Weakness Policy
Lash Out, Rock Slide, High Horsepower, Protect

Urshifu
+Spd/-Sp.Atk; 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Unseen Fist, Life Orb
Wicked Blow, Close Combat, Poison Jab, Detect

Malamar
+Spd, -SpAtk; 252 HP, 136 Sp.Def; 120 Spd
Contrary, Choice Scarf
Superpower, Liquidation, Topsy-Turvy, Switcheroo

Zoroark
+SpAtk, -Atk; 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP