• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Suggestions for an animé newbie?

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Suggestions for an animé newbie?

So the only animé I've ever watched is Pokémon. But I've always enjoyed the whole concept of animé and I'd like to start watching some others - so does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. where would I watch them as well?

EDIT: I've also watched a few Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes and quite a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Legal streams via websites and YouTube. You can also go to stores and buy DVDs and Blu-Rays.

For a newbie, I highly recommend Trigun (the link's in my next post), then again, I have no idea what you're looking for.

Anime vary a lot and at times some can get incredibly...unappealing to the sane.

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Unfortunately Funimation only has the first few episodes up for Trigun on YouTube. Other shows however are there in full. ;P

Couldn't resist the chance to share my favourite anime. An amazing tale of a boy becoming a man and then punching **** with giant drills.

Oh, and don't read the comments of YouTube videos for anime. People will always ruin the ending for you. Always.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Unfortunately Funimation only has the first few episodes up for Trigun on YouTube. Other shows however are there in full. ;P

Couldn't resist the chance to share my favourite anime. An amazing tale of a boy becoming a man and then punching **** with giant drills.

Oh, and don't read the comments of YouTube videos for anime. People will always ruin the ending for you. Always.
So they don't but Funimation's official Trigun site has all of the episodes (here's a link). Scroll to page 4 for the 1st episode.

CharizardChampion06, I think you should lay off Gurren Lagann. We don't know this person's gender and to boot, it doesn't seem like they've taken a dip into mature content. Trigun can fit into a similar boat. I would recommend Ouran High School Host Club but it also fits in a similar boat.

If you want to get into anime, expect 3 things, violence, weird comedy and breasts. Just in case you don't know Japanese, don't choose sub.

Last edited:
I'd say Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni but that might be a little too big a leap up from Pokemon. You should probably go with something easy but still decent like One Piece before you try the really crazy stuff. Then again, you might be a masochist. In which case, jump straight into Excel Saga.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
CharizardChampion06, I think you should lay off Gurren Lagann. We don't know this person's gender and to boot, it doesn't seem like they've taken a dip into mature content. Trigun can fit into a similar boat. I would recommend Ouran High School Host Club but it also fits in a similar boat.

Wait, so you're telling me to lay off suggesting anime with mature content while you suggested an anime with mature content, and then another?

<___<

Mankanshoku Mako

I'd say Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni but that might be a little too big a leap up from Pokemon. You should probably go with something easy but still decent like One Piece before you try the really crazy stuff. Then again, you might be a masochist. In which case, jump straight into Excel Saga.

Um ya, horror anime like Higurashi probably aren't really great anime to introduce people to the industry with. Watch something like Naruto or One Piece.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Wait, so you're telling me to lay off suggesting anime with mature content while you suggested an anime with mature content, and then another?

<___<
At least my options aren't as offensive. Yeah...it's hard to find a kid friendly anime that's being legally streamed.

I would avoid Higurashi as it's intensely gory and all the legal streams are dub (which isn't that great). Stay away from One Piece, Fairy Tail, Naruto and Bleach, they're all overrated.

Oh, I thought of something kid friendly! Big Windup! Has a bit of cussing here and there but overall it's a great and enjoyable baseball anime. Another plan is to go around watching reviews and see what you like. I highly recommend watching JesuOtaku's reviews.

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
At least my options aren't as offensive.

The only person I've seen genuinely offended by Gurren Lagann was some furry kid. There's fan service, yeah, but nothing to get offended about.

I highly recommend watching JesuOtaku's reviews.

I like her reviews. I tend to agree with her about 95% of the time.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
The only person I've seen genuinely offended by Gurren Lagann was some furry kid. There's fan service, yeah, but nothing to get offended about.
Fan service objectifies females...yeah, let's drop it and see what the thread starter replies back with.

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
I'd recommend both Macross Frontier and SDF Macross (It's English dub is the first part of Robotech). Both animes are top notch mechas with great story lines and amazing music. Frontier makes a lot of references to the rest of the Macross series (Especially to Macross 7, and surprisingly Macross II which was retconned [still good though]), although not catching them does not impede enjoyment of the show (I can attest to that, Macross Frontier and School Rumble were my first anime. After watching all of the Macross series [highly recommended] I re-watched Frontier, it felt completely different than the first time I watched it).

For comedies, I'd recommend School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh, both excellent Slice of Life comedies. K-ON! is another good SoL.

For a good Adventure/Romance/Economics themed anime, Spice and Wolf fills that niche excellently, with a strong cast, good story, and lots of economics. (To quote our lovable troll in charge of my university's anime club [somewhat based of a few of my comments while watching the show, and the graph I presented after] "This is the only show where I'd ever hear 'Inflation up in this ***** cheered at the screen'").

As for where to watch, I torrent, which is illegal for shows that have been licensed in your region, and a legal grey area elsewhere. You can use My Anime List as a resource to find who has fansubbed what, and if it has been licensed, dubbed, or if it is available on DVD. ANN (Anime News Network) is also a good source for what is coming up, what Funimation has liscensed, and news stories relevant to anime.

Rex Kamex

Are you interested in a long series or a short series?

pampam88

Pokenerd/Animenerd=D
Being the Hetalia fangirl I am, I would say Hetalia. Its rated 18 and up, but its not really that innapropriate. If you aren't a girl, or if it doesn't interest you, then I would also suggest Lucky Star. Its really funny!

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
Being the Hetalia fangirl I am, I would say Hetalia. Its rated 18 and up, but its not really that innapropriate. If you aren't a girl, or if it doesn't interest you, then I would also suggest Lucky Star. Its really funny!

Lucky Star may not be the best thing to watch right off the bat. The show and to a lesser extent the manga base a lot of their humor on otaku pandering references, and they play on Haruhi and Konata having the same VA for example. (Also the first few episodes are slow [They fit the manga, but the original director couldn't adapt them to TV too well])

Um ya, horror anime like Higurashi probably aren't really great anime to introduce people to the industry with. Watch something like Naruto or One Piece.

HIGURASHI IS NOT A HORROR!

And anyway, I've used it to convert people to anime before. I guess it just kind of depends on what kind of story someone's looking for. I do agree that Naruto and One Piece are probably good choices for someone who's graduating from Pokemon.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the Studio Ghibli movies. Nobody ever specified anime 'series'.

Rubicante

Banned
I'd recommend One Piece as a good starting point.
Don't expect to get caught up fast at all, though.

What he said. One Piece is actually very similar to Pokémon, in some regards. A quirky cast of characters, some with strange abilities. The art style looks cheesy, but it's more serious then it would lead you to believe. Just stay AWAY from the 4kids dub, I implore you.

Katekyo Hitman REBORN! is also a pretty good shonen. Think sort of a mafia-themed show. It starts off as a gag anime but at episode 20, it starts becoming a real shonen anime. It hasn't been dubbed though, so I hope you like subtitles.