• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Suggestions for what direction to go with a Aqua or Magma Team?

Chaos Wolf

The classic
Hey All, I've been tempted to try running a team through Ruby or Sapphire of the opposing team, I.E. Magma in Sapphire, Aqua in Ruby. That being said, I feel like Mightyena and Crobat Duplicates would be a bit boring. Could anybody add some suggestions that might push me in the right direction with the next teams?

Limits I've imposed on myself are
Water, Ice and Electric not allowed on Magma's playthrough
Fire, Rock and Ground allowed for Aqua (acception for Swampert?)
Transfering in pokemon from Gen 1 or 2 is fine, so long as it fits thematically
Starter is Poochyena or Zubat
Post Gym Leader Wallace, Respective team Legendary is added.

The vague Idea I have right now is

Aqua:
Crobat
Manectric
Sharpedo
???
???
Kyogre

Magma:
Mightyena
Aggron
Blaziken
???
???
Groudon

Any suggestions, I'm thinking Grass would benefit from Groudon's Drought, Shiftry?

ssj_duelist

Just gonna say I really like this idea. :) Also don't you mean 'Fire, Rock and Ground not allowed for Aqua'? Might even do something like this myself!

I'd say drop the usual starters since they don't seem very magma/Aquary if you get what I mean.

Magma I feel needs Camerupt. If you import, try Houndoom as well. Shiftry sounds like a good grass since it gets double speed in the sun. There's Ninetails as well.

Could always use Gyarados for Aqua and Tentacruel is decent. Crawdaunt looks to me like an Aqua staple. Whiscash is okay. Walrein is always a nice bulky choice.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't think Shiftry is available in Sapphire, although if you can trade that's obviously no problem. Torkoal might be a good one for the Magma team as well. It gets a decent movepool, good offences, and great bulk, especially with Amnesia. It also gets Eruption from breeding with Camerupt.

If you can trade, Ludicolo is quite good in rain, it can be a beastly staller for Aqua. Tentacruel always works great. There are tons of great waters in 3rd gen. Milotic, Slowbro, Slowking, the list is endless.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Team Magma should get their signature pokemon Camerupt, I mean you gave Team Aqua theirs (Sharpedo), so why not Magma too?
also, why does Aqua have Manectric? I know, it benefits from the Rain Dance Thunder, but I just think it doesn't make much sense to have something that it is weak against.
Oh. and by the way, Wailord seems a very Team Aqua type pokemon.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Since you put Blaziken there then put Swampert too. And why not Gyarados? It seems to fit Team Aqua too.

Aqua:
Crobat
Manectric
Sharpedo
??? -> Swampert
??? -> Gyarados
Kyogre

The vague Idea I have right now is

Aqua:
Crobat
Manectric
Sharpedo