• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 12th: M22- Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (July 16: Supportive screening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Same here. I don't want and I don't expect the exact same movie but there will be something different for sure. But I'm sure they'll take the key parts from the first movie.
M21 wasn't a retelling though, so this might not be as well. It could be some sort of sequel or a story with a similar beginning to the first movie.

Kage-Pikachu

Well I do love Mewtwo so I'm glad to see another film with it in the starring role, but it better be the first Mewtwo! Even if it's a retelling I'll enjoy seeing its originally characterization again. I would hope that we see many of it's powerful techniques this time and same with Mew, the movies had a terrible history of not doing the Mythical Pokemon justice when it comes to battling (with a few exceptions).

I seriously am not looking forward to a computer generated Pokemon film, I love traditional animation much more than cgi...I hope that was only for that one trailer.

Kein

AKA Silktree
It will probably overshadow since it's 100 percent likely to be a Gen 8 Pokemon
Or it will be the new Pokemon from LGPE. And there's always a chance that "Evolution" is in reference to yet another evolution mechanic for Mewtwo.

After how Marshadow and Zeraora have been treated, you really shouldn't take anything for granted.

playerking said:
It could be some sort of sequel or a story with a similar beginning to the first movie.
It isn't a sequel. They aren't going to make kids watch the original movie and Mewtwo Returns to understand the background.

playerking

Or it will be the new Pokemon from LGPE. And there's always a chance that "Evolution" is in reference to yet another evolution mechanic for Mewtwo.

After how Marshadow and Zeraora have been treated, you really shouldn't take anything for granted.

It isn't a sequel. They aren't going to make kids watch the original movie and Mewtwo Returns to understand the background.
Not a sequel with Brock and Misty and such, but the same style as M20 and M21, but still a continuation to M01. Also, you know, there could be a recap during the film. I'm not saying this will be the case, but it might not be a remake. You can't say it can't be one because you don't think it will be.

Red and Blue

The movie will have some Gen 8 promotion in it since it comes out right before the new games. A the evolution could be referring to Mewtwo X since it never appeared in the anime previously.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
This movie might not be for me. I saw Mewtwo from the 1st movie, along with the Genesect movie with its Mega Y form, and some specials that feature it. The games where you can capture it in RBY & XY, and its appearences in games like Pokken & Smash, I'm kinda tired to see it again. They'll probably show it to use Z-moves, along with Mew, since it still tied with Gen 7.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Not a sequel with Brock and Misty and such, but the same style as M20 and M21, but still a continuation to M01. Also, you know, there could be a recap during the film. I'm not saying this will be the case, but it might not be a remake. You can't say it can't be one because you don't think it will be.
I don't understand how it could be a continuation set in an alternate universe. Just because it's possible doesn't make it likely, which is my point.

My bet is on a retelling in the vein of I Choose You, which ended up veering in a new direction.

Red and Blue said:
The movie will have some Gen 8 promotion in it since it comes out right before the new games. A the evolution could be referring to Mewtwo X since it never appeared in the anime previously.
Mega Mewtwo X is old news and isn't even featured in LGPE. A new form is far more likely, if that is what evolution means in the first place.

They could have ordinary new Pokemon, too. Sudowoodo probably does more in the current movies than Zeraora does.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
They won't drop Mewtwo from the title. There is likely to be another star, but I don't see it overshadowing Mewtwo.

That depends on many factors. Heck look at 'I Choose You' Ho-Oh was finally getting shown to make a true big appearance in a movie..... And then look at the screen time it got.

Now that said Ho-Oh wasn't in the name.... But honestly these early snippets are teases, I could still see the title referring to Mewtwo and then it barely being in the movie.

Red and Blue

Yeah and even if the Gen 8 Pokemon is just a normal one it could still be the true star of the film. Lucario and Zoroark were the central focus of their respective films.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
The only problems with Mega Evolution Mewtwo vs Z-Move Mew are that a) We've already got several Mew promotions (with the Z-Crystal in SM/USUM and the Lets Go Mew) so idk how they would be able to create the inevitable promotion and make it special considering that Mew is already handed out in both games. Especially considering that I doubt Z-Moves will exist in Lets Go, and I don't think that they're going to give any more event Pokemon to SM/USUM after it comes out (unless it's a SHINY Mew, which I would be pretty happy with lol) and b) I know they've worked around mega evolutions occurring without a trainer, but Z-Moves without a trainer? Doesn't seem that easy to explain, especially considering that they're established mechanics, not like mega evolution in the Genesect movie.

Then again, hoping that it's set in the main timeline and the hyped reunion movie that episode 20 was supposed to be, not to mention a sequel to the Mewtwo movie and Mewtwo Returns. I'm just speculating, but I'm hoping that this is a movie where the build up is in the anime, like the original Mewtwo movie. Here's how I think the plot should go: After his (inevitable) scheme with Necrozma is foiled by Ash, Giovanni can actually find Mewtwo again in Johto, control it in some way or another, mega evolve it, and send it to wreak havoc. Because this is a worldwide catastrophe, all the companions/gym leaders/whomever else unite with Ash to finally bring down Giovanni once and for all. Naturally, Giovanni/Mega Mewtwo X destroy them, but Mew and the other clonemons from movie one show up in the nick of time to save them. Mew decides to work with Ash, who, naturally, has a Z-Ring from his island trials (thus solving point B from above). We get a PROPER Ash vs Giovanni battle (finally, after 20 years), and some sort of resolution/ending tying up all the knots left over from this movie and/or earlier seasons of the anime.

That total speculation which will probably evolve into a fanfiction, but I'm hoping that this is somewhat close to what we actually get.

I firmly believe that the "evolution" part of the title doesn't refer to Mewtwo's power, but rather some sort of CHARACTER evolution. I see no reason to rehash the Mewtwo movie (which is universally considered to be one of the best Pokemon movies), since the character of Mewtwo is already very well-developed, and the writers aren't going to create a remake when people can just stay at home and watch the (probably better because nostalgia) original; they will lose quite a bit of money if they do this, I think (then again, iirc movie 20 did that with episode 1 and look at how well it did, so this point is probably out the window). It would be silly to go back and recreate a Mewtwo that hates all of humanity, and has to be retaught what he learned in movie 1. It just seems to me like they would be going backwards. Because as I mentioned earlier, movie 20 did that with the first episode, but that was 20 minutes of the movie, and the rest was all new content. This would be an ENTIRE movie that would be remade, which just does not seem feasible, since the fandom would probably flip out if there was new content destroying the nostalgia of the first movie, but also be upset if the movie was a carbon copy of the original. There is a fine line, and I think if the writers went down the remake path, they would not be able to succeed creating a good movie that is a happy medium between the two.

playerking

I don't understand how it could be a continuation set in an alternate universe. Just because it's possible doesn't make it likely, which is my point.

My bet is on a retelling in the vein of I Choose You, which ended up veering in a new direction.

Because like M21 showed us, there is no connection between it and M20, besides the art style. So it can be like the last two, but still be a sequel to M01, but in an AU way, with some of the major plot points being references, such as Mewtwo's origin, if that isn't show in the film itself. It can be a retelling like M20, but it shouldn't be counted on because M21 wasn't a remake. I only brought it up because it seems people think the last two movies are remakes. Besides Lugia, M21 is pretty original. Again, it could be a retelling, but I rather it be like M21, but have Mewtwo's origin included (maybe changed a little bit), with the rest of the plot different.

Red and Blue

I don't think a film with all of the previous companions combined with the SM cast crammed in 90 minutes is feasible either. I could understand why that idea was scrapped for movie 20.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Now that said Ho-Oh wasn't in the name.... But honestly these early snippets are teases, I could still see the title referring to Mewtwo and then it barely being in the movie.
A movie whose title begins with "Mewtwo Strikes Back" is going to involve Mewtwo in a big way. The Ho-Oh argument doesn't work, as the preliminary material focused on Ash and Pikachu. For that matter, Ho-Oh was not outshone by Marshadow as the latter was just a plot device.

A new Pokemon is likely going to fight Mewtwo just as Mew (not in the title) and Genesect did. This isn't complicated.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's difficult for me to get excited for this movie since I was never a huge Mewtwo fan to begin with, nor do I expect greatness from this movie given how the last two movies turned out. I won't even be surprised if Mewtwo is retconned here.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I don't find the SM anime compelling but it's pretty unfortunate that they aren't at least doing movies set in that universe. This gen cannot end fast enough.

Like I never wanted an SM anime movie
I just wanted a movie set in Alola, main continuity or not. Not give Kanto an additional two.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
A movie whose title begins with "Mewtwo Strikes Back" is going to involve Mewtwo in a big way. The Ho-Oh argument doesn't work, as the preliminary material focused on Ash and Pikachu. For that matter, Ho-Oh was not outshone by Marshadow as the latter was just a plot device.

A new Pokemon is likely going to fight Mewtwo just as Mew (not in the title) and Genesect did. This isn't complicated.

I think it be fun if this movie told a story that happened concurrently with the first movie. Perhaps focus on an unknown Pokemon and group that also interacted with Movie1's Mewtwo.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Because like M21 showed us, there is no connection between it and M20, besides the art style. So it can be like the last two, but still be a sequel to M01, but in an AU way, with some of the major plot points being references, such as Mewtwo's origin, if that isn't show in the film itself. It can be a retelling like M20, but it shouldn't be counted on because M21 wasn't a remake. I only brought it up because it seems people think the last two movies are remakes. Besides Lugia, M21 is pretty original. Again, it could be a retelling, but I rather it be like M21, but have Mewtwo's origin included (maybe changed a little bit), with the rest of the plot different.
That won't happen, they won't make reference to the original movie by showing past scenes, if it's AU. They'll remake the scenes how they want them to happen to work with the AU, but the Mewtwo in this movie would not have any memory from the first pokemon movie ever due to not being the same Mewtwo, they'd be different Mewtwo's. It's not that I wouldn't want them to replay scenes from the first movie, it's just that they wouldn't, which is exactly how they did the M20. All scenes were recreated to fit the exact AU.

I think it be fun if this movie told a story that happened concurrently with the first movie. Perhaps focus on an unknown Pokemon and group that also interacted with Movie1's Mewtwo.
Now if they want to do this, I would love that. Since it wouldn't be an AU, it'd make sense to have some reference with some scenes. I always enjoy staying in the same Universe.

playerking

That won't happen, they won't make reference to the original movie by showing past scenes, if it's AU. They'll remake the scenes how they want them to happen to work with the AU, but the Mewtwo in this movie would not have any memory from the first pokemon movie ever due to not being the same Mewtwo, they'd be different Mewtwo's. It's not that I wouldn't want them to replay scenes from the first movie, it's just that they wouldn't, which is exactly how they did the M20. All scenes were recreated to fit the exact AU.

Now if they want to do this, I would love that. Since it wouldn't be an AU, it'd make sense to have some reference with some scenes. I always enjoy staying in the same Universe.
Aw, no. Of course they'd remake the same scene, not replay the same one. Just a different animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.