• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Summer homework.

I have to read two retarded books that are just awful. Crappy world war something books, so interesting, and such an original topic to cover. Ooh, a book about trench warfare, I HAVE to read that!

-_-

Last year I got a 90 on the summer reading test and didn't even read one of the books. This year, I literally read them in class the day before the test and scored 100. The most ironic part about summer reading is that you'll score higher if you wait until school to read the books.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
I'm not in high school yet so I don't think I have to worry about summer homework yet.
I passed onto the next grade, and I don't have to take summer school.
Though I guess my only homework is staying active each day on forums, and on Serebii. I guess Roleplaying could be considered homework as it is a form of writing, almost like a collective.

Katwalk

DEAR GOD they are giving more than summer reading now?!
Thank god I am out of grade school. If I have kids they are being home schooled, that is just awful.

Do you know, once upon a time children only had about 30 minutes of homework a night in lower grades? What is wrong with the world. This is why children are fat, too much work and no play.

Everyone should just drop out and get their GED instead. Saves a great deal of time.

Last edited:

Lucas!

Real Talk Keisha.
For AP lit, I have to read Frankenstein and then define literary terms and how they are used in a story and then how they are used in Frankenstein. than 100 plus notecards on greek mythology, the bible, genesis and book of man. Fun.

Thank god I am out of grade school. If I have kids they are being home schooled, that is just awful.

Do you know, once upon a time children only had about 30 minutes of homework a night in lower grades? What is wrong with the world. This is why children are fat, too much work and no play.

I can definately understand why work is given in the summer, though.
Summer vacation was originally for children to help on the farm during the hot months.

Now, with most kids in school living in cities, all they do is play or sleep all day, while very few retain what they learned in the last school year. It helps keep some things fresh in their mind, especially when the material will apply in later grades.

:/

Katwalk

I don't think I ever forgot anything, I mean I need that first week or two of review/introduction but I don't think anything really fell out of my head, despite the fact back then we had like one book and a paragraph to write on it.
You could EASILY make not boring assignments for the summer anyway.
EX: read ANY book that is age appropriate. I remember one year we had NOTHING but gary paulson books. I have determined all of his books suck.
For math, run a lemonade stand. That will teach you math by giving you money and tasty drinks.
History, pick a day and research an interesting event that happened.
See, easy I made that up in less than a minute. Schools are very uncreative.

I don't think I ever forgot anything, I mean I need that first week or two of review/introduction but I don't think anything really fell out of my head, despite the fact back then we had like one book and a paragraph to write on it.
You could EASILY make not boring assignments for the summer anyway.
EX: read ANY book that is age appropriate. I remember one year we had NOTHING but gary paulson books. I have determined all of his books suck.
For math, run a lemonade stand. That will teach you math by giving you money and tasty drinks.
History, pick a day and research an interesting event that happened.
See, easy I made that up in less than a minute. Schools are very uncreative.

A lot of kids try to push everything and anything about school out of the way during the summer. My sister is, for example.

In our district, they gave you a list of books to choose from and read, depending on your grade level. They USED to give us a choice of what to read, but many kids would pick books that were made into movies and just watch the movie, or read something like "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" and the sort.

English was the only class we had an assignment for, because you had to take it all four years of highschool. The other major subjects were only three years, and there were many different types of math, history, and science classes, so one project for the subject would be kinda pointless, depending on the class you were going into.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
For AP lit, I have to read Frankenstein and then define literary terms and how they are used in a story and then how they are used in Frankenstein. than 100 plus notecards on greek mythology, the bible, genesis and book of man. Fun.

Well Frankenstein is like the best classic horror story! It also ranks among the best of the best horror stories. So, I can see that as kinda fun! All you need now to set the horror mood is read it before bed at night, lights out and get a couple of candles, place them in a safe spot, and you are set for the great atmosphere! Though if you don't have time for candles, keep a light on at the other side of the room.

Though the bible, genesis, and the book of man, that sounds like the stuff that would make me unhappy.

Greek mythology is pretty good though, could be worse!

Also, I don't think that a lot of homework is the problem, more like the amount of projects. The teachers had at least 5-10 major end of year projects crammed in to where the overlapped. I was too tired so I stopped doing some of the projects.

Also to the thing about kids without play, well there are some people who can't go outside too much or the result is pain. Sunburn. One word to describe why I try not to go outside too much. Sun block doesn't work well for me. My sunburn is even worse when I actually run around or excercise. It gets even worse when the heat is pretty high.

I know, it's weird.

Prelude

Prelude
Calculus packet and two books that I have to read. Pretty easy stuff considering my school is ranked one of the top 15 in the nation D:

Yogurt

Lifeline

little ms. derpy
I have soooo much homework this summer, its crazy. I have 3 books to read with 450+ pages each. Then i have to write 3 summaries on them. I have to go to an art museum, and a classical (ewe) music concert, then write a paper on each. Last i have over 500 pages of AP Bio textbook to read, which is about 20 chapters. Also i have to write notes on each chapter. I'm only going to be a freshman in highschool.

Its going to be a busy summer D:

EDIT: I forgot that im also in summer school, its a pre-AP bio course. Its my favorite subject, biology, but 4 hrs a day in summer is too much.

Last edited:

Katwalk

What's wrong with PE in the summer. Frankly, some people need it B/

Summer vacation used to give me more exercise than PE ever did.

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
This summer I had to do two book reports from a selection of books. Kind of deep ones, mind you.

I'm glad I could choose, but I'm still quite upset how the school had to put it in my last real summer in high school. Next summer I'll have to do I think about a week's worth of hours in community work and study for college exams, and possibly we'll be elected as guild/club officers and leaders since we're going to be seniors. x_x;

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Most students should have it.
So what boring busywork is your summer task?
I have three english reports, Vocab for history, and Math assignments.
I think this mindless drivel is utterly pointless except for reviewing. There's about 180 school days and I do believe that's enough time to teach the material we need to learn. But whatever, what do all of you have?

Jesus you have alot.

I have a english project

-Read lord of the flies
-complete a chapter packet
-fill out some log thingy
-do 15 vocab words
-read 2 other books.

thats it.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
What's wrong with PE in the summer. Frankly, some people need it B/
Well, not every one does well in sunny day weather, 105+ heat, and excercise all at the same time.

Yah, some people do need some excercise, but some people do just fine without any.

I, personally, would rather have math homework every night than have to do PE, I do just fine without it.

Well, not every one does well in sunny day weather, 105+ heat, and excercise all at the same time.

Yah, some people do need some excercise, but some people do just fine without any.

I, personally, would rather have math homework every night than have to do PE, I do just fine without it.

Same.
Personally, if I go outside when its over 85, I get violently ill.
I can't handle the heat of summer.
:/

Zeddokun

Read three books given to me over summer and then take tests on each. -_-

Last edited:

Erienne

Anime high :D

Everyone should just drop out and get their GED instead. Saves a great deal of time.

I know. They shouldn't give homework during the summer. That's really stupid, considering high schoolers have a huge load to deal with during the year anyway, and summer homework doesn't help. It should only be for people who have summer school.

I don't agree with your last part though.