• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Summer of Discovery! (842)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Okay, to reiterate from my lost post, Shauna and Tierno have pretty bad VAs: Shauna sounds too old for her age and is a weird contrast to Korrina, who's clearly older than the quartet yet tries to sound like a squeaky Japanese VA female actress at times. Tierno basically sounds like a moron, no offense. Trevor is the only one who sounds just average.

And it looks like Serena has her own fan club in the trio, unlike Ash who doesn't have his own (and his family back home stopped doing that after Kanto was over).

Vipsoccermaster

This episode was a good one, though not much. Big prop to seeing all the Kanto starters again. Serena has gotten famous, and she didn't know that Pokévision was the real reason why she became famous. The new characters debuted in this episode are all fine, too. Tierno is a little funny, though.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I'm not too crazy about Shauna, Tierno and Trevor's voices; they weren't expected, so that threw me off a bit. Shauna, I believe lacked some energy. Tierno was acceptable, and Trevor's voice was... ehh.

I enjoyed the Team Rocket moments as chefs. Now I'm really hungry. lol

Squirtle was well animated, especially with all the dancing he and Tierno did.

I liked how Serena ended up realizing she wanted to have a dream. Looks like this is where she decides to step it up and accomplish something.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Team Rocket really are great chefs.

I don't get the VA complaints, only Trevor's voice bothered me.

I was quite surprised when Tierno, Trevor an Shauna appeared. :)
I suppose it was only a matter of time until they appeared the show.

I think this episode confirms that Bonnie only tries to set Clemont up with women that are much older than him.
She would have tried to get Shauna to go out with him already. However, I have been wrong about these things before.

Gillachu

Banned
Shauna was okay, Trevor was an uninteresting Snap rehash, and Tierno was even more boring. At least we saw the Kanto Starters again due to them.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Summer of Discovery! serves as the setup for a mini-arc in which Ash & Co. take part in a summer camp run by Professor Sycamore. Meeting new friends Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor, the two friend groups are designated to different teams and are poised to discover more about themselves and their Pokemon.

This episode keeps it simple, introducing the camp, posing the prospect of being inducted into the 'Summer Camp Hall of Fame', and most importantly, setting up Serena's future ambitions. Serena has basically been a groupie throughout the saga so far, so it is about time that she got a goal for herself. What that goal is exactly is left to be determined in this story arc, it seems. Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor are fine so far--not much to complain about or gaud over. They each have discernible personality traits and goals and whatnot. Good on them.

The episode set the arc up nicely, but because it is an exposition-heavy episode it is pretty tame--which is understandable. Team Rocket seems to be staying out of the way for now, so that's good (for both our heroes and the audience). One little qualm: the characters definitely need to blink more. Throughout this episode they looked like a bunch of Wide-Eyed Willies.

Grade: B

Side Note: Awful quote! This one left a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks, dub writers!

Ash (explaining to Prof. Sycamore about his experience with Korrina and her Mega Lucario): Mega Evolution is as cool as it gets. Everything powers up, including the strength of their moves. It's awesome how strong they get.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, after a few months I finally picked up the anime again, hoping to get completely caught up before Sun and Moon are released. HAH! If I can watch 80-90 episodes in a month it'll be a feat, but I'll try.

I have to admit I like the XY trio a lot. Trevor probably is a bit boring, but Tierno and Shauna are fun to watch. I'm glad to see Serena finally hear about the PokeTacular for the first time, can't wait till I get to those episodes. I felt bad for Froakie not getting to finish its battle too. I'm also glad to see Team Rocket get a good side storyline as well.

Overall the episode was pretty good.

7/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Interesting interactions between Tierno and Ash, Shauna and Serena, and Trevor and Clemont, respectively. Trevor's Charmander was pretty hyper and also occasionally set Chespin on fire lol. Shauna was pretty outgoing, and boy did she go nuts over Serena.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
It was nice to see Shauna, Tierno and Trevor in the anime, plus Team Rocket working at the summer camp was funny. I liked how Tierno recognized Serena from PokeVision and how Trevor was a pokemon photographer. :]

Leonhart

Imagineer
So Platane-hakase's annual Pokemon summer camp began here, and naturally, Satoshi and friends just had to participate. To me, the most rewarding thing about this episode were the introductions of the Kalos rivals: Tierno, Trova, and Sana. Although I would've liked if Sana had Hitokage as her Starter, not Fushigidane.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Not a bad episode to start an arc off with. Tierno's a lot less annoying than in the games. I actually found break-dancing Squirtle to be amusing and since it actually fits his battling I can actually buy it. It's a shame that Meowth's paper-thin disguises keep letting the TRio down.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I wonder why Sana and her friends didn't simply own Kamex, Lizardon, and Fushigibana from the get-go so that we'd see them showcase their Mega Evolutions in this camp arc.

So the group has arrived at the summer camp, where they are once again greeted by Sycamore. The camp actually is nicely done, so it'll certainly be something to look forward to. Even though I can't think of a perfect voice for Tierno in the dub, the voice he's given isn't one of them. I'm also not so sure about Shauna's voice. And I don't understand how Squirtle beat Froakie. He didn't even land a hit on him and just scared Froakie.

Leonhart

Imagineer
And I don't understand how Squirtle beat Froakie. He didn't even land a hit on him and just scared Froakie.

I wasn't fond of that skirmish either, and the Kanto Starters in general here seemed overpowered simply to make Tierno and his friends seem like actual threats.