• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Summer Reading School Assignments

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
I wasn't sure where to put this, it's related to school, but since it's primarily concerning books, I think this should be the right place.

The summer is ending (at least where I live), and so I was wondering if any other schools world wide make you guys read books over the summer, and be tested on them when you come back the following year. I thought this would be a good place to ask for help on any books you don't understand, or book recommendations (if you haven't started your summer reading yet).

Going into English Honors gives me the choice of literally 5 books to choose from, and I have to read 2 of them. So I decided on reading Dracula by Bram Stoker, and Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

Dracula was boring as hell for the first 237 pages, but then it started getting interesting, and I'm at about page 250. The second book, however, hasn't even been started, and school starts a week from tomorrow. Anybody else reading Dracula/Foundation?

Last edited:

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
oh God how i hate summer reading. its not reading i have a problem with, its being forced to read a book i dont even give a flying rats *** about i have a problem with. this past summer i was forced to read The Kite Runner by some Afgan dude (i dont remember his name, i dont care) and Things Fall Apart by a Kenyan (i remember his last name, Uchebe). TFA was really boring, but i read it anyways. it focuses way to much on minor details. as for TKR, i got to chapter 7 and then i stopped reading it, as i was mortified and offended. when i get into to my honors world lit class, im gonna take that damn book and burn in my crazy teachers face.
i would really prefer this summer reading system: we have to read at least 2 books with a minimum of 300 pages. and for each book write an essay that summarizes the book in detail and is at least 3 pages long. if the books has a movie adaptation, write an extra paragraph or two or three that details the differences between the book and the movie. id love it if the damn school system that i live in actually used that summer reading system, rather than giving us a bunch of boring books that nobady has heard of or in some cases (such as me) dont care.

pichu_power

But Never Again...
Gahh...I got a Summer Reading Assignment as well...but I didn't do it [about 80% of the kids who got the assignment didn't do it...and 50% didn't do the other essay assignment, which I did]

We were supposed to read books to raise money by pledges to sponsor the literacy rates in our state...I guess...and that money goes to libraries to purchase new books...or they just love to make kids read to rip them off of money

Lulamoon

Cheese for everyone!
Only the Honors classes get summer reading, which is why I don't take them. They don't even let you choose the book you read.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I have to read 4 books before school starts, which starts in 8 days. I hate procrastination.

Luppi

I shot my eye out.
Into the Wild by John Krakauer, Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Eheinreich and Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck.

I liked them all except Tortilla Flat. I didn't even finish it. XP

For AP English you had to read Fast Food Nation.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
oh God how i hate summer reading. its not reading i have a problem with, its being forced to read a book i dont even give a flying rats *** about i have a problem with. this past summer i was forced to read The Kite Runner by some Afgan dude (i dont remember his name, i dont care) and Things Fall Apart by a Kenyan (i remember his last name, Uchebe). TFA was really boring, but i read it anyways. it focuses way to much on minor details. as for TKR, i got to chapter 7 and then i stopped reading it, as i was mortified and offended. when i get into to my honors world lit class, im gonna take that damn book and burn in my crazy teachers face.
i would really prefer this summer reading system: we have to read at least 2 books with a minimum of 300 pages. and for each book write an essay that summarizes the book in detail and is at least 3 pages long. if the books has a movie adaptation, write an extra paragraph or two or three that details the differences between the book and the movie. id love it if the damn school system that i live in actually used that summer reading system, rather than giving us a bunch of boring books that nobady has heard of or in some cases (such as me) dont care.

i agree, i think that there should be classics as suggestions, but you're free to read any book really. it's just that most of the books don't interest me whatsoever, and that's the problem i have. over the summer i read the book "american gods" by neil gaimon, i'd much rather use that book (that's twice as long as "dracula") for my assignment since it actually interested me.

Into the Wild by John Krakauer, Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Eheinreich and Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck.

I liked them all except Tortilla Flat. I didn't even finish it. XP

For AP English you had to read Fast Food Nation.

ohmygodjohnsteinbeck. i
hate john steinbeck. have you ever read the book "the pearl"? i had to read it last year, it was torture. he's like my least favorite author.

Luppi

I shot my eye out.
ohmygodjohnsteinbeck. i hate john steinbeck. have you ever read the book "the pearl"? i had to read it last year, it was torture. he's like my least favorite author.

I have not read The Pearl, but I have read Of Mice and Men for freshman English. I found Of Mice and Men really good, but Tortilla Flat? ugh.

onew

I'm currently about to start reading 'The World Is Flat' by Thomas Friedman. I've already finished the other three books I had to read fo AP European History and AP Language and Composition.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
@luppi - oh well I didn't like "of mice and men" either haha

@onew - i'm taking ap world history next year, and i didn't have to read anything (at least i don't think i did... i never actually went to the meeting o.o). what exactly do you have to read?

onew

@Alkaide I had to read two chapters from the textbook and 'Copernicus' Secret' by Jack Repcheck. It's basically about how the Scientific Revolution began during the Renaissance.

ironknight42

Fahrenheit 451: it is due on tueday with a bunch of essays I love reading but I hate the essays unless they are 100% free choice of topic, which they aren't. Fahrenheit is a interesting book so no complaints and it's short.

All the King's Men: more of an assignment to myself it took most of the summer to read it because well there are somethings I like to do more than read, but it is also a 660 some page book with small font...but it wasn't half as long as last year when I read Les Miserables unabridged

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
We don't have summer reading stuff in Canada. Thank god.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
@luppi - oh, okay that makes sense. but now i'm starting to worry about whether or not i had to read something...

@hol123 - well you're lucky lol, usually i get stuck reading boring books. but sometimes i find one that i like. (eyes of the dragon - stephen king. i had already read that one. and the ghost in the tokaido inn - it was already my favorite book when i read it the year before)

Mimori Kiryu

Where I live, we don't have summer reading assignments, but in high school we had what were known as Reading Semesters, where the English teachers would all choose a book and we had to read it. For my Senior year, we read Maximum Ride by James Patterson. I enjoyed the series though I think it's made more for 6th graders. xD For Junior year, we read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck which I actually did like. D: I think I was the only one in class that did...One of the best books I read was during Sophomore year and that was To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Great, great read. Definitely enjoyed that. Oh! I almost forgot A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry. Love, love, love that book. <3

We read a lot more but I just don't remember them. xP

In college, you only have to read the book if you have an English class. Last semester, I had three, so I had to read In Country by Bobbie Ann Mason. I thought the book was okay, but if you read it...that's not what Kentucky's really like. I swear. D: This semester, it's some book about Abraham Lincoln. Thank God I have no English class. ;)

Darkrai00

.*.*.*.*.
i ahte the summer book reports, though this years one we had was not as bad as last years stuff. i picked this book called swindle about some guy that tricked a kid into giving him a million dolalr baseball card for 50 bucks. it was pretty good and not to long. i still didnt do the book report yet xD, but its not that hard by the way it looks.

Mawile412

Problem
i also read dracula. I liked it and i thought it was kinda funny :)

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
I'm no longer in grammar school, but I remember summer reading. Not too bad if you space it out over the summer. I remember having to read The Lion, The Witch and the wardrobe. The other ones weren't memorable enough for me, but I still didn't have a hard time with them. Hopefully you all started in June or w/e you got out for summer break.

For my Film/Lit class I have to read four books. I get two weeks to read each. then we watch the film version after we finish each book. Then we get choose our own book at the end, read it and then write a 10 page paper on it, which we then have to read to the class and get critiqued on it, and then make revisions. This should be fun. Hopefully I don't go insane.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
@Mawile412 - yeah Dracula was good but not until you got past the first 230 pages in my opinion.

So I decided that Asimov, the guy who wrote Foundation, was a genius, with being in Mensa and all, and as such was way too smart for me to understand his book. So I switched to The Handmaid's Tale because it was the shortest book on my list of five. I have NO idea why this book was on our summer reading list, it was way too graphic. However, I thought it was an AMAZING book. If I was a girl I'd probably be disgusted with the book, and not sure if I'd be able to enjoy it, but although I actually was disgusted with it (probably to a lesser degree, though. Not that I approve of anything in the book, but since it's not a personal thing for me, you know?) it was just really interesting and well written. I loved all the irony, foreshadowing, themes, and point of views. It was just very cleverly written. And it's something that could actually happen to America. Very, very distant, and unlikely, but it makes you think. Oh, but the movie was disgusting. I watched it with two of my friends and they (being girls) were absolutely repulsed by it. I think it wouldn't have been as disgusting if the commander wasn't a hundred years old, and if there wasn't so much blood (I just really don't like blood =/)