• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Characters Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm okay with Guzma being in the League, that'd be cool actually as we don't usually see Bug types as an actual threat barring Scolipede and Beedrill but they're just used as "Aaahhh! ____!!!!" Pokemon

I'm just concerned with how they're going to handle Team Skull when it comes to disbanding it. I do hope Plumeria and Guzma don't end up tossed into a police van and carted off, but I wouldn't put it past the writers.

AeroVeeNex

I'm okay with Guzma being in the League, that'd be cool actually as we don't usually see Bug types as an actual threat barring Scolipede and Beedrill but they're just used as "Aaahhh! ____!!!!" Pokemon

I'm just concerned with how they're going to handle Team Skull when it comes to disbanding it. I do hope Plumeria and Guzma don't end up tossed into a police van and carted off, but I wouldn't put it past the writers.

I'd rather they just stay and don't get disbanded. I mean they are not really evil. Though calling any of the teams evil is a stretch since in reality, they did anything evil bar maybe Ghetis.

DatsRight

I'd rather they just stay and don't get disbanded. I mean they are not really evil. Though calling any of the teams evil is a stretch since in reality, they did anything evil bar maybe Ghetis.

I dunno, nearly all the teams suffer a bit of adaptational villainy. Sure the Skull grunts are still their games selves, but we don't know if they've changed up the admins.

Also it tends to be a formula that if they want a villain or morally dubious character to look sympathetic in the anime, they usually need another bigger meaner baddie to compare them against and scapegoat their actions onto to make them look relatively better (eg. Alain against Lysandre, Lusamine against Faba, many COTD jerks against Team Rocket or vice versa).

AeroVeeNex

I dunno, nearly all the teams suffer a bit of adaptational villainy. Sure the Skull grunts are still their games selves, but we don't know if they've changed up the admins.

Also it tends to be a formula that if they want a villain or morally dubious character to look sympathetic in the anime, they usually need another bigger meaner baddie to compare them against and scapegoat their actions onto to make them look relatively better (eg. Alain against Lysandre, Lusamine against Faba, many COTD jerks against Team Rocket or vice versa).

I've never got Team Rocket even being evil. They take pokemon to sell but at the same time why is that wrong? Ash catches Pokemon to own so why would catching to sell be a bad thing? I mean Yes Team Flare doing genocide that is wrong but even the Hoenn teams wanting to protect nature is not really wrong.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I've never got Team Rocket even being evil. They take pokemon to sell but at the same time why is that wrong?

Because that's kidnapping? Because they're being sold for god who knows what?

Team Rocket has done experiments on Pokemon in past episodes such as the Lugia arc in Johto.

Ash catches Pokemon to own so why would catching to sell be a bad thing?

A majority of Ash's Pokemon usually go with him willingly (whether he battles to catch them or not). It's not comparable in the slightest.

Also, Ash has his Pokemon running around in a wide open field at Oak's when he's not using them. Team Rocket usually keeps them stored together in their Poke Balls.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I've never got Team Rocket even being evil. They take pokemon to sell but at the same time why is that wrong? Ash catches Pokemon to own so why would catching to sell be a bad thing? I mean Yes Team Flare doing genocide that is wrong but even the Hoenn teams wanting to protect nature is not really wrong.
There is a difference between catching Pokémon (most of whom are willing to be captured) to train and treat like family or friends, and kidnapping Pokémon (sometimes from other Trainers) and selling them for a profit. Team Rocket is an organized crime syndicate that sells and exploits Pokémon. They have also funded and conducted experiments on Pokémon and have even killed Pokémon. How is that not evil?

DatsRight

It's something that admittedly gets undermined by the games mechanics of catching Pokemon against their will (which aren't always ignored, look at how Charjabug was captured) along with TRio's ineffectual habits. They treat their own Pokemon well and have a rather....quaint perception of what Giovanni would use their catches for to say the least. :p This is probably why they have TRio try to steal already owned Pokemon most of the time.

Still cases like the Mewtwo and Meloetta arcs show what truly vile things the organisation can do to Pokemon they capture.

AeroVeeNex

There is a difference between catching Pokémon (most of whom are willing to be captured) to train and treat like family or friends, and kidnapping Pokémon (sometimes from other Trainers) and selling them for a profit. Team Rocket is an organized crime syndicate that sells and exploits Pokémon. They have also funded and conducted experiments on Pokémon and have even killed Pokémon. How is that not evil?

I honestly don't see catching them to sell evil on a personal level. Now doing things like pushing them to do things they don't want to do resulting in death is something different. But it raises the question on when does forcing them against there will become "evil" since we have seen trainers at times do that like Paul but I never saw Paul as evil. I mean I doubt Paul would go out of his way to murder people even if he seemed to push his pokemon to a point where it seemed cruel.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I honestly don't see catching them to sell evil on a personal level. Now doing things like pushing them to do things they don't want to do resulting in death is something different. But it raises the question on when does forcing them against there will become "evil" since we have seen trainers at times do that like Paul but I never saw Paul as evil. I mean I doubt Paul would go out of his way to murder people even if he seemed to push his pokemon to a point where it seemed cruel.
Team Rocket doesn't catch Pokémon. In the Pokémon world, "catching" a Pokémon implies willingness on the part of the Pokémon. They are caught in Pokéballs, from which they have the ability to escape on their own. No, Team Rocket kidnaps Pokémon—forcefully removing them from their environment (whether that's in the wild or with another Trainer) against their will. On top of that, they sell those Pokémon for a profit. Even Trainers like Paul, who treat their Pokémon cruelly, don't kidnap Pokémon or sell them for a profit.

IMHO, even Jessie and James, despite being portrayed as lovable buffoons most of the time, are evil. Why? Because they spend all their time stalking a young boy around the world and attempting to separate him from his best friend. It doesn't matter that they always fail. It's their mindset that matters. When you think of it that way, they don't seem so lovable anymore.

AeroVeeNex

Team Rocket doesn't catch Pokémon. In the Pokémon world, "catching" a Pokémon implies willingness on the part of the Pokémon.

But again isn't that what Paul did at first when he just tossed a pokeball and those Startly who had no idea what was going on? I'm not trying to be a dick at all but just looking at a popular theme in a different way is all.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
But again isn't that what Paul did at first when he just tossed a pokeball and those Startly who had no idea what was going on? I'm not trying to be a dick at all but just looking at a popular theme in a different way is all.
I answered your question in the third sentence of my post, which you didn't quote. Pokémon are not forced into Pokéballs. They are able to escape. So no, that is not the same as kidnapping a Pokémon and stuffing it in a cage from which it cannot escape.

AeroVeeNex

I answered your question in the third sentence of my post, which you didn't quote. Pokémon are not forced into Pokéballs. They are able to escape. So no, that is not the same as kidnapping a Pokémon and stuffing it in a cage from which it cannot escape.

Noooo not the point I'm making I mean when "evil" teams have them in pokeballs like we've seen many times. As you said they can escape but they don't want too. I'm not sure which episode it was said or maybe it was a game but I remember hearing no pokemon are evil. But if they are siding with people that are viewed as "evil" IDK As you said they can escape but they choose to stay.

Zoruagible

I'm worried for Hau's chhances now.
Let's Go created #NotmyGary yet another friendly rival....
And if the anime uses him, well there goes any hope left for Hau!
I do kinda see this guy being Ash's potential League rival though, losing to another trainer that also happens to hail from Kanto would make for an interesting change.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'd rather see Hau show up in SM since he has more relevance being in Alola, but the new rival from the Pikachu and Eievui games might still show up in SM in a few months as forced promotion for the new games.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I want to see a reappearance of Gladion. It could be development for Ash, Gladion, & Poipole. I'd prefer if it was when they're training for the Alola League. It's basically the Ten Carat Hill episode's conversation but replace Nebby with an actual UB (not arguing Nebby is or isn't one). Ash should put his foot down and advocate for his past encounters with Buzzwole, Celesteela,Xurkitree, & Blacephelon + Poipole. Maybe Gladion battles and/or trains with him to see how Poipole is. Could be where Poipole finally does something important by showing off its move set.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does anyone else think Trace from Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee might appear as a rival in the Alola League? It would be an interesting way to promote the games & he (unfortunately) seems to fit the friendly rival mold we’ve been getting for the past few generations

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ignition said:
I want to see a reappearance of Gladion. It could be development for Ash, Gladion, & Poipole. I'd prefer if it was when they're training for the Alola League.

I don't particularly miss him since the Hoshigumo-chan storyline wasn't that long ago from my vantage point, but I do think he's a good candidate to show up at the Alola League.

Zoruagible

I'd love another appearance of Gladion soon as well, mostly for the fact that I'd like to see his other three Pokemon slowly start showing up rather than appearing all at once during the League.

DatsRight

I'm wondering when TR will next appear, and if the Z Moves will still hold their threat level up a bit. Mareanie hasn't even got to use Black Hole Eclipse against them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.