• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Characters Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Does anyone see Mallow and Sophocles getting Z Rings/Crystals? On one hand I think it's unfair to them as every other main character has one (well, except Lillie at the time of writing this comment but it's practically confirmed) including TRio. On the other hand, I think it'd be kind of a waste as they'd barely use them.

There's also the "issue" with sharing Z-Crystals as I can't see them using any other Z move beside Bloom Doom and Gigavolt Havoc respectively (the 0.0001% chance of Soph debuting Savage Spinout:rolleyes:). While there's no rule set that they can't have 2 of the same Crystal between the cast, it seems likely to prevent redundancy.

ShadowForce720

Does anyone see Mallow and Sophocles getting Z Rings/Crystals? On one hand I think it's unfair to them as every other main character has one (well, except Lillie at the time of writing this comment but it's practically confirmed) including TRio. On the other hand, I think it'd be kind of a waste as they'd barely use them.

There's also the "issue" with sharing Z-Crystals as I can't see them using any other Z move beside Bloom Doom and Gigavolt Havoc respectively (the 0.0001% chance of Soph debuting Savage Spinout:rolleyes:). While there's no rule set that they can't have 2 of the same Crystal between the cast, it seems likely to prevent redundancy.

Well you could probably have a case where for instance Sophocles gets the Electrium-Z after Ash's Electrium-Z permanently changes to a Pikashunium-Z(this is presuming that the transformation will become permanent at some point as there isn't really any reason for Ash to use Electrium-Z if he can trigger it's transformation into Pikashunium-Z at will) and if Ash's Rowlet fully evolves into a Decidueye and he gets the Decidium-Z for his potential Decidueye then that would free up the Grassium-Z for Mallow.

Ignition

Well you could probably have a case where for instance Sophocles gets the Electrium-Z after Ash's Electrium-Z permanently changes to a Pikashunium-Z(this is presuming that the transformation will become permanent at some point as there isn't really any reason for Ash to use Electrium-Z if he can trigger it's transformation into Pikashunium-Z at will) and if Ash's Rowlet fully evolves into a Decidueye and he gets the Decidium-Z for his potential Decidueye then that would free up the Grassium-Z for Mallow.
Never thought about the transformation being permanent. I don't want him to just give it to them, however. Give them a challenge to earn it.

MiloticTwins

What do you think happens if Professor Kukui has no plans to create the Alolan Pokémon League Conference at all?

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

There's no real point. Even if they were utilized more often, you can't really expect each and every main character to get equal focus.

Honestly, I'm content that even one of the girls obtained a Z-Ring, let alone a potential second.

Ignition

There's no real point. Even if they were utilized more often, you can't really expect each and every main character to get equal focus.

Honestly, I'm content that even one of the girls obtained a Z-Ring, let alone a potential second.
I'm not expecting focus (especially after seeing Lillie's amount of focus) anyway. Lana barely gets focus even with a Z Crystal so not much would change

D

Deleted member 384931

I'm not expecting focus (especially after seeing Lillie's amount of focus) anyway. Lana barely gets focus even with a Z Crystal so not much would change
I think it is just hard to give each girl the same amount of focus.

Remix2

I hope they don’t get a z ring because given how useless these two are they’re most likely going to stand in the background and do nothing with the z ring.

D

Deleted member 384931

I hope they don’t get a z ring because given how useless these two are they’re most likely going to stand in the background and do nothing with the z ring.
Lol why the hate for Mallow and Soph? They are equal to Lana and Kiawe

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

I hope Mallow gets one. Not only does she deserve one but she desperately needs something to help her get more screentime. It isn't right how she's treated, I truly am convinced the writers hate her and nobody can convince me otherwise.

The only way I see Mallow getting one though is if they give her a Rimbombee and let her be the one to get Fairynium Z.

And people for some reason moan about how much Lillie and Lana deserve a team change.... least they have z-rings/crystals. Mallow doesn't have squat! She needs something far more than either of them.

Ignition

I hope Mallow gets one. Not only does she deserve one but she desperately needs something to help her get more screentime. It isn't right how she's treated, I truly am convinced the writers hate her and nobody can convince me otherwise.

The only way I see Mallow getting one though is if they give her a Rimbombee and let her be the one to get Fairynium Z.

And people for some reason moan about how much Lillie and Lana deserve a team change.... least they have z-rings/crystals. Mallow doesn't have squat! She needs something far more than either of them.
Agreed. Poor Mallow has been shafted

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Not too sure what's up with Mallow now but I'd like to see her do something more, maybe something outside of cooking. Technically her goal has to do with cooking and no one's really bothered to make her get interested into something outside of cooking so that's probably why she doesn't get too much screentime. Maybe they could let her get a Grassium Z with a Z-Ring at the very least.

DatsRight

It's odd because the anime's had plenty of COTD cooks and done somewhat amusing things with their agenda.

One possibility that might be interesting is to have the fact some of the companions are getting surpassed heavily become an actual plot point. Mallow would especially be vulnerable to this as she has not only barely trained Steenee or managed to make her stick out, but being the team mom, a bit of a class clown, and best friend of Lillie, she sometimes comes off as horribly redundant against Ash, some new kid who comes along, is more experienced, athletic, has tons of goofy charisma and cute insightfulness, a stronger Grass type, and has Lillie pretty much idolising him without even meaning to. I'd say they could even have her getting temporarily surpassed by and in danger against TR given they're actually getting boosts for once, but the flow of her episodes would imply they wouldn't let even her fall to such an indignity.

They've also bothered to point out that, in spite of how sweet Mallow often is, she has a temper and can get frustrated if she doesn't feel appreciated enough, sometimes trying to hold it in until it's too late and explodes disproportionately. A serious conflict could occur if she ends up feeling upstaged or made useless by Ash too many times, maybe even snapping at him upset (even if she'd almost certainly feel bad when she came to her senses again).

I suppose Kiawe and Sophocles would be next vulnerable to this given they mirror typings of some of Ash's Pokemon, but they tend to have more bro/team work moments going on with him that keeps them at equal stance, and they have gained one or two bits of progression (partially through Ash's help). Lillie started off the rookie with an inferiority complex anyway so she has no role to lose with them, while Lana just seems to like doing her own thing anyway.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Not too sure what's up with Mallow now but I'd like to see her do something more, maybe something outside of cooking. Technically her goal has to do with cooking and no one's really bothered to make her get interested into something outside of cooking so that's probably why she doesn't get too much screentime. Maybe they could let her get a Grassium Z with a Z-Ring at the very least.
IMHO, Mallow's goal being centered around cooking is not a valid excuse for her lack of focus or dedicated screentime. She isn't the first companion whose goal isn't action-oriented and doesn't center around Pokémon. There is plenty the writers could do with her restaurant goal that could even incorporate Steenee. For instance, she could have decided she not only wanted to make the Aina Cafeteria the number one restaurant in Alola, but she also wanted to further involve Pokémon in the restaurant business, which would go along with the Alolan people's mentality of humans working alongside Pokémon.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
IMHO, Mallow's goal being centered around cooking is not a valid excuse for her lack of focus or dedicated screentime. She isn't the first companion whose goal isn't action-oriented and doesn't center around Pokémon. There is plenty the writers could do with her restaurant goal that could even incorporate Steenee. For instance, she could have decided she not only wanted to make the Aina Cafeteria the number one restaurant in Alola, but she also wanted to further involve Pokémon in the restaurant business, which would go along with the Alolan people's mentality of humans working alongside Pokémon.

I'm not convinced Steenee will evolve in the upcoming episodes, but I really want her to evolve. If she does, it would open up possibilities for Mallow development besides the obvious just having a stronger pokemon, like maybe disciplining it. It'd be really neat if Mallow didn't know how to control Tsareena and had to learn how to do that.

DatsRight

Truthfully I'd have preferred Steenee not evolve, partially because I prefer her design over Tsareena's, and also because I don't want Mallow to get another 'lottery boost'. Steenee has plenty of abilities she could train for or use her resourcefulness to make use of and just make her feel proactive in some way, not to mention plenty other captures that could be used in the kitchen in some clever way. Even besides that I want to Steenee to gain more of an actual character and bond with Mallow before fully evolving already. Rowlet smacking is pretty much all she has to her which doesn't exactly make her likeable (and will probably look worse as a fully grown Tsareena picking on a baby owl).

I mean even for some of the stagnant Pokemon they keep finding some brief but clever little moments of personality or usefulness (Poipole gets tons of interaction with his teammates and Charjabug has odd unexpected moments of importance like digging up two Ice Stones or bringing in a swarm of Grubbin to help dig up Celesteela).

On an unrelated note, comparing Misty's SM and LGP/E designs leaves me tempted to think the anime had some headway into that too.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
For me in some way I think that they barely do anything with it, which limited her development and so on. But I still see a potential for development in the dance episode in which Mallow picks up a new interest but then I don’t think that’ll be too likely.

DatsRight

With TRio comfirmed in Let's Go, do you think they might get a promoted role in the anime? I mean, that's BOTH current titles Team Rocket is heavily involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.