• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Characters Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
I highly doubt Dia (Zeraora's Trainer) is going to remain part of the series after SM101. He belongs in the alternate world, and that is where he is going to stay. (I still don't understand why so many people here immediately latched onto the idea of him participating in the Alola League, when there were absolutely no hints he would appear in the series after the Zeraora episodes.)

Because some people have lost all faith in the anime's writers at this point -- which, while that may be partially deserved, is still pretty sad.

DatsRight

Except Lillie, at the very least, did not sit on her butt and do jack **** during the Akala Island. As @DatsRight pointed out, Lillie actually got some character development during that arc, taking another step toward conquering her fear of touching Pokémon by managing to mount the Ride Stoutland. Her role may have been small, but you can't say she did nothing.

And in fairness it was during Lana's limelight. I could understand the annoyance if Akala was just a load of fillers but Lillie and Sophocles were underplayed because of character rotation, Ash, Lana and Kiawe were getting their turn at that point. Season One if anything was going at a reasonable pace, it was only Season Two where everything started to get stagnant for most of the cast with zero captures besides the temporary Poipole and no one besides Ash and Lillie having a lot of central development. I'm guessing we're on Season Three by now, which is off to an okay start.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Because some people have lost all faith in the anime's writers at this point -- which, while that may be partially deserved, is still pretty sad.
I think that's simplifying reasoning a bit to the point of misrepresentation to be honest. Before we knew Dia was from a different dimension it was an option, although it was very premature to assume it was going to happen before we'd even seen the guy in an actual episode. To be quite fair, I've been avoiding posting in the spoilers forum lately, too much just hating on SM and how small Ash's team is or how Mallow gets shafted (it's really getting repetitive by now regardless of how fair the points are), but I have skimmed through things (at least things from people not on my ignore list). My impression is far more that people wanted Dia to come to the Alola league. Some people wanted Dia to come to the Alola league because Zeraora is a mythical, it's cool, it's strong, it's fast, it'd guarantee spectacle there and force Ash to be badass and cool to match up to that, because they want Ash to at least lose the league to someone awesome rather than a repeat of the Unova league. As there hasn't been too much indication for the league in any way so far (we still have very little knowledge on the league yet, other than that there will be one and Ash will participate), people simply latched on to that as a hope for something awesome.

It's a curious thing, but if people want something a lot, in their mind it starts to feel more probable. Humans in general are absolutely terrible at estimating likelihoods and probabilities, and I'm not exempt to that. In my mind Lana's Eevee evolving into Vaporeon doesn't feel all that likely, because to me that'd be the boring option and wouldn't offer Lana any interesting hardships in terms of narrative. Eevee evolving into Flareon would be far more interesting narratively, and a Flareon that can ride on waves and likes the ocean would be cool, so to me that actually feels like a real option. But objectively speaking there is absolutely no evidence that points to Flareon for Lana.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I highly doubt Dia (Zeraora's Trainer) is going to remain part of the series after SM101. He belongs in the alternate world, and that is where he is going to stay. (I still don't understand why so many people here immediately latched onto the idea of him participating in the Alola League, when there were absolutely no hints he would appear in the series after the Zeraora episodes.).

They could have Dia compete in the Alola League since his world was destroyed by Guzzlord & there’s nothing left for him in that reality anyway. Plus, they could make Zeraora a new rival for Pikachu based on them fighting in the intro

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Except Lillie, at the very least, did not sit on her butt and do jack **** during the Akala Island. As @DatsRight pointed out, Lillie actually got some character development during that arc, taking another step toward conquering her fear of touching Pokémon by managing to mount the Ride Stoutland. Her role may have been small, but you can't say she did nothing.

Yes.... she did.

All she was was a commentator during that whole arc, same with Soph. At least Mallow helped and Kiawe/Lana got upgrades
Why do you all want classmates being shoved into everything? Ula'Ula was AWESOME cause none of them were there and the focus was entirely on Ash and the TRio. Which is how ALL the islands should have been handled, only with less TRio involvement on the others.

They could have Dia compete in the Alola League since his world was destroyed by Guzzlord & there’s nothing left for him in that reality anyway. Plus, they could make Zeraora a new rival for Pikachu based on them fighting in the intro

Or Dia gets stuck in the main world after the whole Guzzlord situation. That would be more interesting than him deciding to leave.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Dia said his goal is to restore his world to its former glory. Even if there is nothing currently left for him in his world, he wants to rebuild what was worthwhile. That's why I think there is no reason for him to leave his world and join Ash's world.

Yes.... she did.

All she was was a commentator during that whole arc, same with Soph. At least Mallow helped and Kiawe/Lana got upgrades
Taking another step toward overcoming her fear by mounting a Stoutland doesn't count as an upgrade to you? It doesn't count as character development to you? It doesn't count as "doing something" to you? Clearly, our definitions of "doing something" must be very different. Just because she didn't get a tangible upgrade, such as a new Pokémon or a new item, doesn't mean she did nothing during that arc.

Why do you all want classmates being shoved into everything? Ula'Ula was AWESOME cause none of them were there and the focus was entirely on Ash and the TRio. Which is how ALL the islands should have been handled, only with less TRio involvement on the others.
When did I say I want the classmates shoved into everything? Answer: I never said that. I don't think the classmates are necessary for every arc or every episode, and in fact, I think some episodes are or would have been better without the classmates. I was arguing against your claim that Lillie did nothing during the Akala arc.

DatsRight

At the end of the day, the arc wasn't really dumbed down by Lillie or Sophocles' presence, they didn't hog screentime by doing nothing, it was just not their moment in the limelight. There are far better examples in the series where an episode didn't work having so many characters (eg. villain episodes where only Ash fights while everyone just stupidly stands there concerned, though those always happened even in the three companion series).

Sophocles got his screentime before and after with some limelight concerning his new Charjabug, while Lillie's main arc was obviously upcoming about ten episodes later. The choice of characters made sense given Akala was their home turf in the games and neither Lana or Kiawe had gotten limelight in a fair while at that point. The only one who really got gipped was Mallow who was pretty much hand waved dead weight in the Grassium trial episode, while Lana and Kiawe got to be the stars in their respective trials.

If anything SM at least has character balance and omits some characters from many scenarios, the only problem I have is that they could maybe have more cases it's beneficial to one of the supporting students. I like Ash but his character is already being used fully this series, and some of the others feel rather lacking. Lana seldom gets an episode she's the driving force, even the episodes she's the 'star' have now started to revolve more around a Pokemon or threat with her just overlooking, and I've just given up on Mallow altogether. I've also noticed that overdoing Ash's screentime also requires him to sometimes be more flawed than usual, to the point of taking on compressed vices at times, when it would arguably be more beneficial to develop foibles for the other characters (the moral for the recent Rotom episode arguably would have fitted any of them better than Ash). It's all about moderation.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
I wonder if the writers are done with Lillie. You don't find it strange she's the only main girl without new pokemon, no arc since the Aether stuff concluded? There's only 40 eps of SM left and since Ash will get most of those eps as usual does Lillie have anything to do in the final year? She's supposed to be the lead female this saga but I think the writers are shifting focus to Lana now for the end of SM.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I wonder if the writers are done with Lillie. You don't find it strange she's the only main girl without new pokemon, no arc since the Aether stuff concluded? There's only 40 eps of SM left and since Ash will get most of those eps as usual does Lillie have anything to do in the final year? She's supposed to be the lead female this saga but I think the writers are shifting focus to Lana now for the end of SM.
Then mallow get screwed over then ? lol

DatsRight

Lillie's at least had more of a presence within the show than Lana and Mallow, even in the lull as of recently, she's often the brains of the dynamic or had more key interactions with Ash and others.

Plus she still has Iceium Z to utilise and supposedly a Battle Royal. Not a lot but something for future episodes.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Yeah for girl who useless in the Pokemon games over girls don't have much chance to shine and have one Pokemon (mallow)or two (lana).

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
From Mima on Twitter:
>For the first time in forever, I got goosebumps while selecting the soundtrack for an episode of "Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon"... This was an episode that even brought the actors to tears during the dubbing session. I can't wait for it to air (it's an episode that hasn't aired yet).
So make sure not to miss tomorrow's episode of "Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon"
*The director's amazing art on the script cover is a spoiler, so I unfortunately can't show it...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Duc-un6V4AA019k.jpg:orig

D

Deleted member 384931

From Mima on Twitter:
>For the first time in forever, I got goosebumps while selecting the soundtrack for an episode of "Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon"... This was an episode that even brought the actors to tears during the dubbing session. I can't wait for it to air (it's an episode that hasn't aired yet).
*The director's amazing art on the script cover is a spoiler, so I unfortunately can't show it...
Maybe Ash and Dia hug? Or Dia is Ashes dad?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
From Mima on Twitter:
Mima was a little too vague (or perhaps his wording was a little confusing), because I totally thought he was referring to tomorrow's episode in his tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.