• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Characters Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC317

You have to remember however that the girls also get fan art for.....other reasons.

To be fair, I turned on R-18 when using Pixiv, so I was hoping that eliminated some of the... less appropriate fanart. I'm sure there will be much more fanart for Mallow, Lana, and Lillie once I turned off the R-18 filter

Kintaro

Banned
You also have to remember a lot of the fanart is based on game Lillie, like ones that show her with the SM female protagonist, or with Cosmog, etc. Of course if you include game fanart a character has a lot more, but you got to simply browse art based on the anime version of the characters which of course isn't always easy. But game Lillie is always pictured different than anime Lillie who is usually with Snowy or the SM canime cast. And yeah if you're using the Japanese fanart sites, most of is adult art or hentai.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
You have to remember however that the girls also get fan art for.....other reasons.
You say one innuendo "press a to pound" line and suddenly that side of the internet is all over you. Though we all know in that field, Lusamine is the queen

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
You say one innuendo "press a to pound" line and suddenly that side of the internet is all over you. Though we all know in that field, Lusamine is the queen
Wat !? Ok why this a sun and moon characters speculating thread have turned to into a lewd speculating thread ?

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Kiawe: He will probably be a trainer starting with Sinnoh or Johto or Kanto( no Hoenn please)
Lillie: She will either stay with family and be Ultra Guardian or she will set off her journey in Kanto
Mallow: She will be a cook in Alola
Lana: She will probably be trial captain
Sophocles: I don't know. Probably a trial captain or engineer.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I think TRio as of BW until today haven't been as annoying as they were in AG and DP? TRio in OS were fine I guess. Probably because they don't appear as much they they in AG/DP every episode and in OS they were tolerable. My ranking of TRio from the most enjoyable to least would be: BW > XY > SM > OS > AG > DP. DP's TRio were the most annoying ones, IMO.Not only that they're component battling-wise, in SM they actually won, then in one episode TRio would've won again, if Pikachu didn't learn Electroweb.While in DP they'd get one shot by Pikachu or other mon.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Kiawe: He will probably be a trainer starting with Sinnoh or Johto or Kanto( no Hoenn please)
Lillie: She will either stay with family and be Ultra Guardian or she will set off her journey in Kanto
Mallow: She will be a cook in Alola
Lana: She will probably be trial captain
Sophocles: I don't know. Probably a trial captain or engineer.
I see them all staying in Alola to take on trial captain duties except Lillie

DatsRight

A reminder we still have a good few Z Moves to go through. The Poni arc left things much more open ended to who could get what. Even just counting elements:

Ghostium Z
Psychium Z
Bugium Z
Poisonium Z
Fairyium Z

Obviously a couple can be anticipated to be going to some upcoming characters but there's still some here I have no idea about.

DatsRight

I think TRio as of BW until today haven't been as annoying as they were in AG and DP? TRio in OS were fine I guess. Probably because they don't appear as much they they in AG/DP every episode and in OS they were tolerable. My ranking of TRio from the most enjoyable to least would be: BW > XY > SM > OS > AG > DP. DP's TRio were the most annoying ones, IMO.Not only that they're component battling-wise, in SM they actually won, then in one episode TRio would've won again, if Pikachu didn't learn Electroweb.While in DP they'd get one shot by Pikachu or other mon.

My problem with SM TR is that they're still not really relevant as antagonists. While they're fun as characters they don't really have any funny chemistry with the twerps (only Ultra Legends has really toyed with them having some humourous interactions) and while they have spouts of competence, it's never in a way that really forces a challenge like say, BW TR, where the twerps regularly had to fight them off in genuinely tense battles and earn their happy ending for a change. Hell such a thing could have evened out SM's low battle count.

Like you pointed out, anytime they put up a halfway decent fight, the twerps don't overcome it, Bewear or plot armour just always negates it, otherwise it's just standard total curb stomps even for the twerps who've seldom even battled before. I think the Alolan Meowth episode and the second mech battle with Misty were about the only times TR put up a persistent scheme and the twerps were forced to put in a reasonable amount of effort to unravel it with no interference in their favour, which isn't really enough to validate them as their main enemies. Getting stuff like Mimikyu or Z Moves has not helped them keep Ash and co on their toes more, it's just increased the amount of times they win by pure luck, otherwise the twerps barely acknowledge them as anything but jobbers and stock villains, which is a pretty boring dynamic. Even the token moments the two sides team up to spice it up are almost non-existent this series.

Say what you will about DP TR but they at least still had moments they worked as meaningful opponents for the twerps, such as Jessie being Dawn's legitimate contest rival, or the two sides clicking and having snarky banter more frequently. Even in spite of their poor battling they still had odd times they got in a few hits but the twerps still managed to overpower them with no plot armour, making it almost feel like a proper fight.

It is a shame because otherwise SM TR are pretty good, they have a more moderate role so they don't usually dilute the twerps' development, their personalities are spot on most of the time, and going back to HQ frequently and even having Matori get a role (if not a big one) helps them feel a bit more integral. I also like that, like Ash, they're being forced into a new premise and methodically trying to improvise to get an upper hand. They're actually trying to level grind for once. It's just not really amounting to anything because the twerps just kinda stonewall anything they do and refuse to play off of them, which stands out particularly in a series so revolved around comedic interactions.

I think in order to fix TR fully they actually have to put more attention into the actual 'twerps vs Team Rocket' dynamic, their presence has to offer SOMETHING worthwhile to the heroes' characters, even if it's just someone to get a funny rivalry out of like in the OS. Nowadays they almost exist as a reason to pad screen time and keep the twerps blander. When they appear they don't have to have personalities to drive the story, or put agency into boosting their Pokemon, they can just have TR gatecrash the episode and act as plot devices while they go on 'autopilot'. XY was particularly bad with this, especially since it was the one series they weren't mandated to appear every episode BUT STILL DID ANYWAY.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
My problem with SM TR is that they're still not really relevant as antagonists. While they're fun as characters they don't really have any funny chemistry with the twerps (only Ultra Legends has really toyed with them having some humourous interactions) and while they have spouts of competence, it's never in a way that really forces a challenge like say, BW TR, where the twerps regularly had to fight them off in genuinely tense battles and earn their happy ending for a change. Hell such a thing could have evened out SM's low battle count.

Like you pointed out, anytime they put up a halfway decent fight, the twerps don't overcome it, Bewear or plot armour just always negates it, otherwise it's just standard total curb stomps even for the twerps who've seldom even battled before. I think the Alolan Meowth episode and the second mech battle with Misty were about the only times TR put up a persistent scheme and the twerps were forced to put in a reasonable amount of effort to unravel it with no interference in their favour, which isn't really enough to validate them as their main enemies. Getting stuff like Mimikyu or Z Moves has not helped them keep Ash and co on their toes more, it's just increased the amount of times they win by pure luck, otherwise the twerps barely acknowledge them as anything but jobbers and stock villains, which is a pretty boring dynamic. Even the token moments the two sides team up to spice it up are almost non-existent this series.

Say what you will about DP TR but they at least still had moments they worked as meaningful opponents for the twerps, such as Jessie being Dawn's legitimate contest rival, or the two sides clicking and having snarky banter more frequently. Even in spite of their poor battling they still had odd times they got in a few hits but the twerps still managed to overpower them with no plot armour, making it almost feel like a proper fight.

It is a shame because otherwise SM TR are pretty good, they have a more moderate role so they don't usually dilute the twerps' development, their personalities are spot on most of the time, and going back to HQ frequently and even having Matori get a role (if not a big one) helps them feel a bit more integral. I also like that, like Ash, they're being forced into a new premise and methodically trying to improvise to get an upper hand. They're actually trying to level grind for once. It's just not really amounting to anything because the twerps just kinda stonewall anything they do and refuse to play off of them, which stands out particularly in a series so revolved around comedic interactions.

I think in order to fix TR fully they actually have to put more attention into the actual 'twerps vs Team Rocket' dynamic, their presence has to offer SOMETHING worthwhile to the heroes' characters, even if it's just someone to get a funny rivalry out of like in the OS. Nowadays they almost exist as a reason to pad screen time and keep the twerps blander. When they appear they don't have to have personalities to drive the story, or put agency into boosting their Pokemon, they can just have TR gatecrash the episode and act as plot devices while they go on 'autopilot'. XY was particularly bad with this, especially since it was the one series they weren't mandated to appear every episode BUT STILL DID ANYWAY.

Team Rocket wasn't that bad in XY. I say if Team Rocket had less limitations of Bewear and Stufful then they could be better. If it was the XY version of Teaam Rocket they would have call there Pokemon into battle If Team Rocket where more like their Xy selves then they could steal Pokemon and leave without any problems. The Problem is that Team Rocket are not as aggressive as there were in Xy

DatsRight

Team Rocket wasn't that bad in XY. I say if Team Rocket had less limitations of Bewear and Stufful then they could be better. If it was the XY version of Teaam Rocket they would have call there Pokemon into battle If Team Rocket where more like their Xy selves then they could steal Pokemon and leave without any problems. The Problem is that Team Rocket are not as aggressive as there were in Xy

But they still lost easily to trainers who could barely even battle in XY.

They started off okay in XY, but after a while the same problem arose; they didn't have much chemistry with the twerps and unlike in BW, the writers didn't often seem as invested thinking up ways for the twerps to fight them back, so plot armour moments usually took over opposed to proper fights, and after a while they just skipped the formalities and made them pushovers again. After a while I just would preferred something on SM's level where TR only interrupted sporadically and the twerps often got to drive episodes on their own and enhance their personalities rather than defeat a really really easy to beat bad guy in the most boring and repetitive of ways, but it was obvious that some of the twerps lack so much agency that they always need the plots dumbed down for them. Mallow is an SM example, she doesn't really have the experience to do good even handed battles, but they suck thinking up slice of life personal challenges for her as well, so to pad most of her episodes, plot armoured one sided TR beatdowns it is. It's that or, you know, develop her a personality.

I think this is as key a problem with TR, that to make them work as bad guys they need to make the good guys bounce off of them. Making a challenging bad guy is pointless if you can't think up a satisfying way for the heroes to beat that challenge, same for making a funny bad guy if the heroes just stand there poker faced refusing to respond to any of their gags. You could make TR the most ideal bad guys in the world and it wouldn't mean jack diddly squat if the twerps still were too bland to play off of that.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
But they still lost easily to trainers who could barely even battle in XY.

They started off okay in XY, but after a while the same problem arose; they didn't have much chemistry with the twerps and unlike in BW, the writers didn't often seem as invested thinking up ways for the twerps to fight them back, so plot armour moments usually took over opposed to proper fights, and after a while they just skipped the formalities and made them pushovers again. After a while I just would preferred something on SM's level where TR only interrupted sporadically and the twerps often got to drive episodes on their own and enhance their personalities rather than defeat a really really easy to beat bad guy in the most boring and repetitive of ways, but it was obvious that some of the twerps lack so much agency that they always need the plots dumbed down for them. Mallow is an SM example, she doesn't really have the experience to do good even handed battles, but they suck thinking up slice of life personal challenges for her as well, so to pad most of her episodes, plot armoured one sided TR beatdowns it is. It's that or, you know, develop her a personality.

I think this is as key a problem with TR, that to make them work as bad guys they need to make the good guys bounce off of them. Making a challenging bad guy is pointless if you can't think up a satisfying way for the heroes to beat that challenge, same for making a funny bad guy if the heroes just stand there poker faced refusing to respond to any of their gags. You could make TR the most ideal bad guys in the world and it wouldn't mean jack diddly squat if the twerps still were too bland to play off of that.

Who really care about Team Rocket having chesmey with Ash and the gang. They have a job to do and that is stealing anything including Pokemon

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Team Rocket drags the anime down, along with Ash for me. I feel that they hold the other main characters back from getting proper screentime and development.

DatsRight

Team Rocket drags the anime down, along with Ash for me. I feel that they hold the other main characters back from getting proper screentime and development.

The fact they're still using them in such a formulaic way despite them no longer being mandated leads me to believe they exist solely to get out of giving them proper screentime and development. Again Ash and Team Rocket practically pad the majority of Mallow's screentime or act as her straw loser, I don't think the problem there is Ash or TR but simply that they can't think of anything to make Mallow stand out on her own. I also think they played little connection in the likes of Kiawe getting so few episodes, that was likely more down to not having ideas for him.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
I think Team Rocket has been great this series in terms of what we got of them, but it's what they didn't do that's disappointing. I like that they don't show up every episode, and even have a lot of episodes where they just cameo/aren't actually trying to do anything wrong, since it makes them feel fresh (relatively speaking) when they do show up. But I wish their pokemon actually got used more in the appearances they DO get. I was hyped for Mimikyu and Mareanie early on, but even when they "fight" Ash and co. (usually just Ash though) they've usually got a mech or just wait to get zapped/carried away. Early on we saw Mimikyu and Pikachu sparring along with Maranie fighting the others, but we barely see those 2 anymore.

Kintaro

Banned
That's true, I honestly forget about what Pokemon Team Rocket have after AG/early DP most of the time because we barely see them anymore. Arbok/Weezing/Wobbufett/Victreebel and Seviper/Cacnea had such long runs in the anime and we always saw them, but so many of TR's pokemon since are barely seen or used I honestly start forgetting what they had in the series. Seriously almost all of TR's new captures from late DP to now is like a blur to me, I even forgot Jessie had Yanmega back in late DP...lol

DatsRight

While it's at least fresh after XYZ where we had the EXACT SAME CURBSTOMP against Inkay and Gourgeist over and over and over and OVER AND- *ahem*

It is strange how they tend to only use Meowth most of the time, I mean I don't mind Meowth trying to contribute more often, but he is clearly no match for even the lamest battlers. Maybe after Mareanie and Mimikyu were set up as a threat for Ash by beating him, they wondered if making them jobbers for the inexperienced companions would look bad on him (newborn Snowy one-shotting them all of an episode after was kind of ridiculous) so kept it to their weakest Pokemon, though now even HE'S trashed one of Ash's Pokemon. Mareanie does at least take part in some of their scams I suppose so she's not completely out of focus.

The thing is now TR have powerful Pokemon, Z Moves and durable mechs. The real problem is using all that reasonably but still thinking up good ways for the twerps to fight back, especially considering SM's been kind of lethargic with battles. Sure, Bewear is fiction's most hilarious cop-out, but spamming her would get kind of lazy, the twerps do have to earn a few wins or else they look ineffective (and for some of them beating up TR is pretty much all they have), so making TR too competent kinda forces them into a corner of writing *dun dun dun* GOOD TEAM ROCKET BATTLES all the time.

It's even sadder Wobbuffet's only got to use an attack ONCE the whole series.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
Team Rocket's Pokemon are strong! HAHAHAHA! Oh wait you're serious. Let me laugh even harder. HAHAHAHAHA.

Really it's really hard to tell how strong Mimikyu and Mereanie are because they barely appear in the series. Even though they have Z move at their call, they are not really using them. If Team Rocket trained their Pokemon instead of beveling they can win without that. They are not gonna win or steal anything at all. This is why I think Team Rocket in XY are better because they don't have a short less on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.