• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Characters Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
Ulu would have been perfect, sibling rivalry is good and hasn't really been a thing outside COTDs. All important characters have siblings too young to be trainers apart from Brock and Misty, and they don't really have any rivalry. Misty is her sister's superior and they acknowledged it, and Forrest wanted to be a gym leader like his brother was.

Kiawe could have used a better rival though, Viren should have been the one-off and Ulu and Cerah should have appeared more

Ulu would have been a perfect rival for Mallow indeed for the reasons you listed. Their bond gives the impression the sibling rivalry that would have boosted Mallow's character much more.

DatsRight

It just feels like they didn't really want to do anything with Mallow until Ultra Legends, actual in depth limelight was very fleeting and they kept reverting to the old TR formula so she didn't have to develop as much of an agency. Even now it still kinda feels like they're struggling with her in terms of personality. It's ironic because looking back she arguably had the most potential for unique story material (eg. grievances from family loss, big sister role to Lillie, having TR as rivals in the food business, being the original 'leader' of sorts in the group before Ash arrived, which maybe could have caused contention or even a jealousy arc, Tsareena possibly having a Tsundere bond with Rowlet) but almost none of this was developed on besides brief episodic moments.

Ulu felt mostly there as comic relief because Mallow's personality couldn't hold the episode on her own. The potential was there, but only the basic structure was utilised and afterwards they saw no need to capitalise on it.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It just feels like they didn't really want to do anything with Mallow until Ultra Legends, actual in depth limelight was very fleeting and they kept reverting to the old TR formula so she didn't have to develop as much of an agency. Even now it still kinda feels like they're struggling with her in terms of personality. It's ironic because looking back she arguably had the most potential for unique story material (eg. grievances from family loss, big sister role to Lillie, having TR as rivals in the food business, being the original 'leader' of sorts in the group before Ash arrived, which maybe could have caused contention or even a jealousy arc, Tsareena possibly having a Tsundere bond with Rowlet) but almost none of this was developed on besides brief episodic moments.

Ulu felt mostly there as comic relief because Mallow's personality couldn't hold the episode on her own. The potential was there, but only the basic structure was utilised and afterwards they saw no need to capitalise on it.

Mallow, Team Skull, and the TRio all suffered really. There was so much potential for all of them and they didn't even scratch the surface!

"Team Skull vs Team Rocket rivalry, this gonna be good" - Team Skull appear once every 30 episodes and never met the TRio again until 100 episodes later. Instead they feel the need to push that stupid Matori rivalry.... like why? Cassidy and Bill would have been way better! Jessie already had issues with a LOT of Team Rocket women, why feel the need to throw Matori in too? I've given up on ever hoping to see a good rivalry with the rival team, disappointed twice now.... both times my favorite teams too!

And I too had the impression that the TRio would be food rivals for Mallow..... but then they stole Steenee. M'kay.... let's count how many times the others fought them in a focus episode.
Kiawe: 0
Everyone not named Ash or Mallow: 1
Ash is understandable as he's faced them for two decades.... but why make poor Mallow face them in literally all of her focus episodes while everyone else can get away clean? It's ridiculous! -.-

And they could have done so much with the TRio. Why not give them jobs at the school like the far superior Professor Rowan's summer camp? It would have allowed them to get in some friendly interaction with the others, which is basically non-existant. And the TRio could have sat back and did background stuff while Team Skull causes the issue of the day instead of once a blue moon episode

Funny how Soph is freaking perfect as I don't think anyone guessed he'd be one of the best handled characters when this saga started. Apart from Kiawe, he's the one classmate that's felt like he earned what he received. Nothing felt forced or rushed at all, apart from them dragging out Charjabug's evolution. Could have spent more time with Vikavolt, Charjabug was boring lol

DatsRight

Add to that Ash at least had a more feasible quantity of episodes he DIDN'T fight TR or some equivalent and just let his own personality make the plot.

SM has been pretty lethargic with the bad guys, even more so than XY (though SM thankfully doesn't spam them nearly as often). They're clearly just there as plot devices to make the protagonist look good. It's annoying because they actually let TR level grind for once and even had Team Skull around to take over their old role as the jobber villains but they remained equally ineffective, forbidden to put up a halfway challenging fight against even the non-battler twerps or even just be amusing foils for them. Why do we need TWO of them on the same level of ineffectuality?

But yeah it's funny how Sophocles limelight did actually lead to an okayish character arc. Very simple but enjoyable. He was also at least the one non-battler they stuck to that priority, not filling his limelight with jobbers and bad guy battles and just letting him shine with own niche and personality (though that might make the league even more awkward). Getting the Z Ring was a bit abrupt, but they don't seem to be that sacred or rare this series anyway so I can let it slide, it was a nice reward for his legit bond with Vikavolt (my complaint with Lana and TR having one was more they didn't do anything with their's afterwards).

It's amusing because I remember there being complaints about Charjabug being dead weight after its capture due to the lull until his first limelight episode. Now Vikavolt's had almost the most episode time out of all the non-Ash Pokemon.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I know this is said a lot, but I wonder if Jigglypuff will actually do something noteworthy before the season ends

Kintaro

Banned
I know this is said a lot, but I wonder if Jigglypuff will actually do something noteworthy before the season ends

It is kinda sad it disappeared again, I thought it was going to be a regular recurring character. My guess is it'll either appear one more time or the writers will just ignore it again for the next 10-15 years. At least we know Jigglypuff is constantly wandering around now, unlike when they randomly dropped it after that one early Hoenn filler never to be seen again.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
You know, with Brock and Misty leaving such an imprint on Kiawe and Lana respectively, it would be nice to give the same to Lillie, Mallow and Sophocles.

Mallow could benefit from meeting Cilan and even add some Unovan dishes to her menu. I'm also sure Alolan Detective Rotom would enjoy Detective Time!!!

Sophocles' network of science could expand after meeting Clemont. He wants to be an astronaut and I'm sure Kalos might have a fine school to do just that. Plus they would bond over their inventions.

I just thought of the perfect way to get both.

Have Molayne hold a huge Science Conference where inventors and scientists all over the world are invited to share knowledge and meet.

Clemont would obviously attend and Cilan being a science connoisseur would gladly visit as well.

As for Lillie, I don't know which of Ash's past friends could inspire her, the ones left are Tracey, May, Max, Dawn, Iris, Bonnie, and Serena.

We can cross off Max and Bonnie right away. Tracey is Zzzz... Iris and Lillie seem like total opposites so I don't think they would click, Lana might but definitely not Lillie.

That just leaves May, Dawn, and Serena and they have all by now competed in Contests. Do we really want yet another one chase a similar goal like that? I would love to get an update on all three of them but maybe that would better serve as specials. Unless one of the girls comes to Alola with an influencial figure like Wallace to promote Contests in Alola. I'm kinda stumped.

Kintaro

Banned
I doubt Lillie will meet any previous girls even in a special. They didn’t have Serena do that when she became a coordinator. Sophocles meeting Clemont would be kinda funny but it probably won’t happen.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
You know, with Brock and Misty leaving such an imprint on Kiawe and Lana respectively, it would be nice to give the same to Lillie, Mallow and Sophocles.

Mallow could benefit from meeting Cilan and even add some Unovan dishes to her menu. I'm also sure Alolan Detective Rotom would enjoy Detective Time!!!

That just leaves May, Dawn, and Serena and they have all by now competed in Contests. Do we really want yet another one chase a similar goal like that? I would love to get an update on all three of them but maybe that would better serve as specials. Unless one of the girls comes to Alola with an influencial figure like Wallace to promote Contests in Alola. I'm kinda stumped.

That would be absolutely perfect! That is, if Cilan actually gets to meet Ash again and it's not a post-region special. Just do an episode where only Ash and Mallow are around to keep interactions small and contained

And Serena should be if any girl. I prefer a May appearance over anyone, because she got cheated in XY.... but Serena's literally received nothing! An update on her and how her contest journey is doing would be lovely

Kintaro

Banned
The only thing I could possibly see happening is Lana traveling to Kanto to battle Misty at Cerulean Gym due to the connection *cough*ship*cough* between the two. A single special of that could be interesting. Kiawe and Brock had no real dynamic, they both just battled...lol

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ignition said:

It's funny because even though Purin's a Pokemon, I've always viewed it as a person. I still think that its return in SM was pointless since it hasn't done much in Alola, but I'm holding out hope that someone will capture Purin before the saga ends.

Hanto

Water Addiction
As for Lillie, I don't know which of Ash's past friends could inspire her, the ones left are Tracey, May, Max, Dawn, Iris, Bonnie, and Serena.
Pretty neat idea! But it is too late for another regional field trips :/
I guess that Tracey would be the most beneficial past companion for Lillie. He is the right hand of Professor Oak and since Lillie is an apprentice of Kukui and Burnet in the games it would be the nice touch to make her a future scientist (just like Bianca in B2W2).

D

Deleted member 384931

I guess that Tracey would be the most beneficial past companion for Lillie. He is the right hand of Professor Oak and since Lillie is an apprentice of Kukui and Burnet in the games it would be the nice touch to make her a future scientist (just like Bianca in B2W2).
Never say never

Kintaro

Banned
LOL, there were never going to be any other "region trips" meeting other old characters. They only did it for Misty/Brock for a combination of the 20th anniversary and the Let's Go games. They were never going to visit Hoenn, Sinnoh, etc. The writers only gave a brief blurb about that on one of the episode scans just so they wouldn't rule it out completely.

May, Dawn, Iris/Cilan, Bonnie/Clemont, etc. probably won't ever appear in the anime again. I only give a small chance to Serena because they might want to follow up with her someday, even if it doesn't happen for years.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Hanto said:

Given how Kenji has been neglected in recent sagas, I find it unlikely that he would appear again as Lilie's new mentor or any other kind of major role. I feel confident that Lilie can look after herself now anyway, so she doesn't need a guide.

Kintaro

Banned
Yeah, neither Gary nor Tracey were included in the Kanto nostalgia eps, so don't expect to see them anytime in the future. If they couldn't appear in any of those 4 episodes, nothing in the future will.

Unfortunately Misty/Brock simply dwarf all the other characters in terms of casual mainstream consensus, same reason the original 151 pokemon will always be the most memorable to casual fans. It's pretty telling all the other companions fade away into obscurity over the years. May and Dawn just got one and done cameos and are now in obscurity, and all the characters after never even got a single cameo, just a special or two. I mean it's pretty telling we haven't seen any other old character cameo since Dawn way back in 2012, when we've now had half a dozen new characters introduced after DP and they never showed up in the main series again. Expect the SM characters to be handled similarly after it ends.

It's too bad. I guess none of the other companions can be treated that way. Expect Misty/Brock back again for the 30th anniversary too.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yeah, neither Gary nor Tracey were included in the Kanto nostalgia eps, so don't expect to see them anytime in the future. If they couldn't appear in any of those 4 episodes, nothing in the future will.

Unfortunately Misty/Brock simply dwarf all the other characters in terms of casual mainstream consensus, same reason the original 151 pokemon will always be the most memorable to casual fans. It's pretty telling all the other companions fade away into obscurity over the years. May and Dawn just got one and done cameos and are now in obscurity, and all the characters after never even got a single cameo, just a special or two. I mean it's pretty telling we haven't seen any other old character cameo since Dawn way back in 2012, when we've now had half a dozen new characters introduced after DP and they never showed up in the main series again. Expect the SM characters to be handled similarly after it ends.

It's too bad. I guess none of the other companions can be treated that way. Expect Misty/Brock back again for the 30th anniversary too.
cilan also cameo'd in a special

Leonhart

Imagineer
If we get a SM character cameo in a post-SM special episode, I hope we'll see Lilie since she's the only cast member who I think deserves an expanded role given that she was so important in the games. And I may be alone in thinking this way, but she's always seemed like Satoshi's main SM companion to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.