• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Characters Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Digimon Tamers went from meta monster of the week to cosmic horror story. I think we can handle a genre shift.

Also in XY we went from collecting keys, havign random silly adventures and going through months worth of non-essiental silly and boring non-fillers and bait episodes with high comedy on them and then TF Arc. happened

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
We won't get into the heavy, serious events until at least in the middle of the saga. The beginning and first half are always simple and mainly light hearted.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Digimon Tamers went from meta monster of the week to cosmic horror story. I think we can handle a genre shift.

Tamers was already semi-serious from the get-go, at least for kid's show standard. SM seems to put a lot of emphasis on comedy, so the change to a more serious arc is going to be difficult. Unless of course they lied to us and the comedy part was just put there to lure in more people, and in reality after episode 10 the comedy starts to go away.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Tamers was already semi-serious from the get-go, at least for kid's show standard. SM seems to put a lot of emphasis on comedy, so the change to a more serious arc is going to be difficult. Unless of course they lied to us and the comedy part was just put there to lure in more people, and in reality after episode 10 the comedy starts to go away.

It needs to be a gradual shift in tone for it to work. Hitting us over the head with a ton of bricks will not do us good. So long as they don't hollow out the story like BW, I'm fine.

Holy157

I wonder if Ash starting out somewhat strong (we only got a few seconds, but I guess?) could lead to be there being a nice ramp up in terms of strength, should the anime adapt the game plot when it comes to villains.

Also, I find the little bit where Lana's running cute. I do hope she doesn't get shafted in favor of others. Except maybe Ash and Lillie.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Perhaps this series will make Ash a bit less stupid in terms of always looking at the Pokedex for it to tell him about the Pokémon he's staring at even though he has seen it several times before. The one that irritated me the most was back in Unova when he used it on a Charmander and it told him the very same thing where used it on HIS Charmander when he found it abandoned. Add the fact that Ash even worked hard to help Charizard keep its flame in the Orange Islands just proves he didn't need to use his Pokedex to "learn" info on Charmander. Ash didn't even say that he already knew what it told him and acted like he didn't know a thing about Charmander!

Janovy

Banned
Perhaps this series will make Ash a bit less stupid in terms of always looking at the Pokedex for it to tell him about the Pokémon he's staring at even though he has seen it several times before.
You don't seem to understand that the Pokedex is not used for Ash's sake, but for the sake of children watching the show.

Besides, the Pokedex gets constantly updated with new information. So why are people so annoyed by something so small and stupid?

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Also if new pokemon are being created, how is Ash supposed to know them all if he has never seen them before? Come on guys! There's being critical and there's being harsh for no reason.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
To be fair, Ash can recognize a Pokémon he's seen before (in the original version) but even he likes to hear new info coming from the Pokedex. And if it isn't him then it's someone like Serena who hasn't seen a Charmander or Squirtle before. Why is this even worth complaining about?

snorlax512

It's for the new viewers. It did get annoying though when Dawn checked her pokedex every 10 seconds during Paul vs Brandon.

Forretress Fan

Let's Go
It's for the new viewers. It did get annoying though when Dawn checked her pokedex every 10 seconds during Paul vs Brandon.

Do point out if I'm wrong about her scanning Brandon's team if she actually scanned only Paul's team.

If a giant pyramid flew down and my friend's rival decided to show passion and challenge the Pyramid owner. Then the Pyramid Owner proceeded to release only legendary pokemon from a different region, I would totally pull out my Pokedex and scan them because 1) Legends from another region 2) They're wrecking my friend's rival's team.

Edit: But yes I agree it's for the new viewers, I do believe that's why Ash gets a new companion, so that companion scans the older generation Pokemon, while Ash scans the new one. So essentially new companion's POV is a New viewer to anime, Ash's POV is a veteran viewer.

Navin

MALDREAD
You don't seem to understand that the Pokedex is not used for Ash's sake, but for the sake of children watching the show.

Besides, the Pokedex gets constantly updated with new information. So why are people so annoyed by something so small and stupid?

It's one of those immersion-breaking nitpicks found in shows. It's not a fundamental flaw and there's an out-of-universe reason for it, but just rather silly when Ash has to Dex something like a Koffing that he's run into a million times beforehand. It's much better when the companions do the Dex'ing instead.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
It's one of those immersion-breaking nitpicks found in shows. It's not a fundamental flaw and there's an out-of-universe reason for it, but just rather silly when Ash has to Dex something like a Koffing that he's run into a million times beforehand. It's much better when the companions do the Dex'ing instead.

i mean in os and bw, ash was the only one with a pokedex so they had no choice but to do it with him.

dp045

Well, we have more information and apparently Piakchu will follow OP and presumably Ash would maintain a level of competition that we could expect from him. I only hope it is more expressive and fun but not at the expense of everything based on the gags that is always hit by the pokémon of turn.
Sorry there is no more RotomDex information.

DatsRight

Concerning the whole character quirks and everything, I hope they look into it more than just comic relief and slapstick. Like I don't want Ash screwing up and learning the same lesson all the time, but I want a focus on his and the other companions' foibles and overcoming them this time, something that was seriously lacking in XY (and I think partially played into the twerp-only episodes being downplayed in favour of TR interruption spamming).

This is a reason quirky elements can be helpful because they can still play into serious development and can give them star appeal.

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
ash: hey rotom, can you tell me about that pokemon?
rotomdex:............no :)
ash: NO?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO?!

seriously, i know people might find it annoying, but a pokedex with a personality sounds amazing to me.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

The other Dex owners doing it is fine.
It just pisses me off when Ash does it to Pokemon HE or his friends and the TRio own.
Like Koffing, now why the hell was that necessary to be Dex'd? He should know that one inside and out, Team Rocket used it all the time in Kanto.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
It just pisses me off when Ash does it to Pokemon HE or his friends and the TRio own.
Like Koffing, now why the hell was that necessary to be Dex'd? He should know that one inside and out, Team Rocket used it all the time in Kanto.

probably because he was the only one with a dex and the kids watching the show weren't alive when kanto/johto aired.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings

They could just let Rotom scan it automatically without Ash asking what the Pokemon is.
Ash: Hey look, it's *insert Pokemon name*!
Rotom: *Says the dex-entry*
*Continue on with plot*
So basically do it like Digimon.

Status
Not open for further replies.