• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
At the same time Ash doesn't need to only get one starter, that argument works both ways.
That meant that it won't be a problem if one of the starters evolves into an Electric-type, because he could just not get it at all.

ShadowForce720

That meant that it won't be a problem if one of the starters evolves into an Electric-type, because he could just not get it at all.

Or he could just get the starter that evolves into a Electric type and wind up having a 2nd Electric type pokemon. Look if one of the starters does wind up being part Electric type just because you don't want Ash to get it doesn't mean that it would somehow be a problem if he did, and please don't try to argue that oh but it would overshadow Pikachu, Pikachu is the mascot of pokemon it's not going to be overshadowed just because there winds up being another Electric type on Ash's team.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I know people brought up the birb having Electric typing but what if a starter obtains the typing? They can easily pass up the bird again but there is one thing that will always remain consistent. Ash will own one or two starters, and the feminine one seems to be locked to females now with Braixen and Brionne.

It is sad that the feminine-looking starters or starters with “girly” evolutions always get confined to the female characters. It’s like the writers believe the gender stereotype that only girly characters can own girly Pokemon.

JC317

It is sad that the feminine-looking starters or starters with “girly” evolutions always get confined to the female characters. It’s like the writers believe the gender stereotype that only girly characters can own girly Pokemon.

Heck, Ash's last confirmed female Pokemon is Snivy, which was caught more than 8 years ago...

World Turtle

He gets the female or feminine Grass Starters (Though I feel the Snivy line was more androgynous) Probably because girls are associated with flowers and 'mother nature'. In contrast the Fire and Water Starters tend to be more masculine or neutral looking.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I mean, there was some implication that Talonflame was a girl, but until it's outright stated, it's nothing more than speculation.

He gets the female or feminine Grass Starters (Though I feel the Snivy line was more androgynous)

The only female Grass starters Ash has are Bayleef and Snivy.

The former was caught during a period of when only Ash got Starters, so it was either he gets it or no one gets it. AlsoI'darguetheonlyreallyfemininelookingmemberoftheChikoritalineisChikoritabutthat'sjustme.

And like you said, the Snivy line isn't really feminine-looking. Ash's just happened to be female.

Last edited:

Zariful

Talonflame was implied to be a girl? I still find it weird that after it became a Talonflame, it never used 4 moves. But anyways patterns will continue to get broken. Don't know if the pattern of Ash getting a starter will ever be broke, but will see what happens.But if he can have three flying types and two dragons, another electric type is definitely feasiable. If Ash indeeds catches Meltan, so many people thought Ash catching a mythical was not feasible.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
At the same time Ash doesn't need to only get one starter, that argument works both ways.

not that I agree with this point of view, but I seem to recall people blaming Infernape for Torterra's short comings.

Lol even it evolved once so it is out of curse as well.

yet it was owned by Brock therefore hardly matters.

Greninja was Ash's first water type at all to evolve since bloody Kingler, and first water starter in general to do.

of course the stupid crutch based transformation killed the hype, making it's evolution an afterthought.

ShadowForce720

not that I agree with this point of view, but I seem to recall people blaming Infernape for Torterra's short comings.

yet it was owned by Brock therefore hardly matters.

Greninja was Ash's first water type at all to evolve since bloody Kingler, and first water starter in general to do.

of course the stupid crutch based transformation killed the hype, making it's evolution an afterthought.

Honestly when it comes to Torterra there were a number of factors that led to it not doing as well as a Torterra, but either way it's not like it really stops the writers from giving Ash multiple starters again considering in Unova Ash got all 3 starters and now in Alola he has got 2 starters. Although some people especially when gen 8 team predictions wind up coming in to full swing will try to say that Ash is going to get all 3 starters because of the following trend which breaks down like this:

Number of starters Ash got per region
Kanto:3
Johto:3
Hoenn:1
Sinnoh:2
Unova:3
Kalos:1
Alola:2

so basically it's the idea that Ash will get 3 starters in a region followed by a region where he gets one starter which is then followed by a region where he get 2 starters and then it repeats, now while I do agree that it is possible that Ash could get all 3 gen 8 starters at the same time however I wouldn't be that surprised if that trend breaks and Ash only gets one or two of the gen 8 starters, so I'm not exactly sure how many starters he's going to get in gen 8.

One thing is for sure as long as Ash is the main central character even if he only gets one starter in gen 8, there will eventually be a generation where he gets three starters again and like wise there will be another region where he gets two starters again. As for the idea of if there will be a generation where Ash doesn't get any of the regional starters, it could eventually happen and it certainly would be interesting to see how Ash's team turns out if he did go a region without getting a starter from the current generation.

Although I don't think gen 8 will be the region that he goes without getting one of the current gen starters although I could be wrong about that.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Honestly when it comes to Torterra there were a number of factors that led to it not doing as well as a Torterra.

I agree with you, but I can tell at times that when Ash has multiple starters (which is the writers decision) it leads to debates on who should be the best, who should evolve, etc.

Of course when all three starters get shafted, the point becomes moot, as was the case with the jouto starters and unova starters.

Zariful

Honestly when it comes to Torterra there were a number of factors that led to it not doing as well as a Torterra, but either way it's not like it really stops the writers from giving Ash multiple starters again considering in Unova Ash got all 3 starters and now in Alola he has got 2 starters. Although some people especially when gen 8 team predictions wind up coming in to full swing will try to say that Ash is going to get all 3 starters because of the following trend which breaks down like this:

Number of starters Ash got per region
Kanto:3
Johto:3
Hoenn:1
Sinnoh:2
Unova:3
Kalos:1
Alola:2

so basically it's the idea that Ash will get 3 starters in a region followed by a region where he gets one starter which is then followed by a region where he get 2 starters and then it repeats, now while I do agree that it is possible that Ash could get all 3 gen 8 starters at the same time however I wouldn't be that surprised if that trend breaks and Ash only gets one or two of the gen 8 starters, so I'm not exactly sure how many starters he's going to get in gen 8.

One thing is for sure as long as Ash is the main central character even if he only gets one starter in gen 8, there will eventually be a generation where he gets three starters again and like wise there will be another region where he gets two starters again. As for the idea of if there will be a generation where Ash doesn't get any of the regional starters, it could eventually happen and it certainly would be interesting to see how Ash's team turns out if he did go a region without getting a starter from the current generation.

Although I don't think gen 8 will be the region that he goes without getting one of the current gen starters although I could be wrong about that.
It'd be an interesting concept to see if Ash doesn't get a fire type next generation.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It'd be an interesting concept to see if Ash doesn't get a fire type next generation.

I'd rather see the Pokegirl get the Grass starter for once. Aka Ash not getting it again.
It was just annoying they finally broke that trend to go right back to it. The regional Grass starter has never gone to the girl, it'd make for a nice change and if they just got the Fire/Water one again then it'd really feel repetitive seeing how XY still feels rather recent and the Water one was this gen.

He's missed out on two Fire types(Torchic, Fennekin), three Water types(Mudkip, Piplup, Popplio), and only one Grass(Chespin)
And even if the Fire starter happens to go the whole way again, it wouldn't feel repetitive as for one Incineroar isn't the ace... and it'll have a different typing than it too. No matter what the starter is always the main for the Pokegirls, Ash's aces actually change region per region. And as SM proved fully evolved Fire types /=/ ace, Lycanroc is the ace.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

It’ll be interesting if he breaks the Fire trend next gen, since Kalos broke the Grass capture trend (only for Rowlet to come along the very next gen) and Alola has broken Water. I do feel that next gen should have a female companion get the Grass starter, since that never happened before.

Heck, Ash's last confirmed female Pokemon is Snivy, which was caught more than 8 years ago...

That is kinda sad when you think about it, since I’m certain the Ultra Guardian bows showed that all of Ash’s Alola team (Rowlet, Lycanroc, Torracat) is male, as they wore the bow as a bow tie. The only females revealed through that were Tsareena (given it is a female-only species), Snowy the Vulpix, Togedemaru and Brionne.

nickdt

Why is Lycanroc Ash's ace? Is it because he is the most used regional (Since if thats the argument people have to determine an ace, then Talonflame was his ace in Kalos, not Greninja, since Talonflame was used more than it).

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Why is Lycanroc Ash's ace? Is it because he is the most used regional (Since if thats the argument people have to determine an ace, then Talonflame was his ace in Kalos, not Greninja, since Talonflame was used more than it).
because he is currently the strongest bar pikachu with the more impressive feats.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd rather see the Pokegirl get the Grass starter for once. Aka Ash not getting it again.

Pre-Sun Moon series starting I had such high hopes Ash would be traveling with Mallow and that she would get/have Rowlet.

I just hope he only has one starter for gen8. If he has all 3 or even two comboed with Pikachu that's 3-4 half to 2/3 his team already decided.

Which I'll go ahead and admit, I find rather boring.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Have Ash with more than one starter does not always work (you could argue DP, and considering everything, it was actually good for him have two starters until they nerf torterra). His team becomes limited and hard to surprise. AG and XY did a good job giving him only one starter.

Give both rowlett and litten to him wasn't that bad, but the lack of use of both + Ash catching nothing useful for a good amount of time didn't help his team as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.