1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Sushi, Oct 29, 2016.

1. krookodile447

krookodile447 Member

Any hopes for greninja's return? Well, he still has a slot in his team and this might be the perfect opportunity for greninja to come back!

2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

I don't think that Greninja will return this time around.

Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  3. nickdt

nickdt Well-Known Member

Greninja isn't gonna return, since released into the wild without a human caretaker, just like Poipole, Lapras and Pidgeot and as such Ash cannot locate it.

RileyXY1 likes this.
  4. Rock Captain 99

Rock Captain 99 Sword and Shield

I can't say whether Greninja will return or not, but Ash can always locate Greninja because of the bond he shares with him!!

5. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

Lol, this is ridiculous. Talonflame, Hawlucha and Noivern were all flying-types, but there usage wasn't divided by whether they fought onland or in the air, but by their primary typing (technically secondary for Noivern, though that's debatable). Talonflame was used as a Fire-type, Hawlucha solely as a Fighting-type, Noivern as a Dragon using soundbased moves.

Both Rowlet and Bulbasaur are pretty much solely Grass-types.

Zoruagible and RileyXY1 like this.
  6. Ignition

Ignition I had no standards yet I’m still disappointed lol

Why does overlapping types matter regardless of if they’re utilized in different ways or not?

7. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

This^
    They sure don't pay much attention to the secondary typing of Ash's starters, aside from the Fire types.

8. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

what do you mean by that?

9. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

I mean he's right.

I don't think Bulbasaur's Poison-typing has ever been brought up in game. It has never even used a Poison-type move.
    Torterra never got a Ground-type move either and the only time I can recall it's Ground typing coming into play is when it got OHKO'd by Volkner's Electivire's Ice Punch.
    Greninja's Dark-typing never got brought up as well, never given a Dark-type move.

At least Rowlet still has Peck so that's something I guess.

10. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Time to venture into Polls

Greninja only has 2 Dark type moves naturally, Feint Attack and Night Slash.

11. nickdt

nickdt Well-Known Member

It doesn't. It was just an example that although overlapping types can happen, the Pokemon can have a different fighting style (For example, Torterra was the slow ground type, while Gliscor was used as the faster one). Same happened in Kalos. Talonflame and Noivern are both Air based flying types, despite that, they both have a different fighting style because of their primary typing (Which is Flying for Noivern, so that argument already kinda goes out of the window here). But even without their primary typing being a thing, Talonflame was used as the Physical Flyer, while Noivern was a Mixed attacker.

Thats why their is no issue putting Rowlet and Bulbasaur on the same team (Or Talonflame and Torracat to give another example), because they have a different fighting style despite their primary typing.

But people just want to have no overlapping type, so every Pokemon can be unique in its own right without potentially losing the spotlight to a same typing regional mon.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    Ignition likes this.
  12. Ignition

Ignition I had no standards yet I’m still disappointed lol

Agreed. I think it’s just people having these strict standards for what Ash can catch/have on his team

RileyXY1 likes this.
  13. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

And your point is?

Even with Night Slash available, they still kept Cut.

Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  14. TheWanderingMist

They weren't going to give Ash's Pokemon a move called "Crossroad Killing". Feint Attack was its only real option and it already had Double Team for misdirection.

15. GarchompChain

GarchompChain Well-Known Member

There were no reserves in Johto. Why do you insist on repeating objectively wrong arguments?

16. nickdt

nickdt Well-Known Member

Ummm yes, their were reserves at Johto, since Muk and Tauros weren't in rotation for the main team at the time (And no, that one tournament for Tauros doesn't count, since it was specific and wasn't use after that until the league) and Ash was planning to use Kingler, who also wasn't in rotation for the main team.

Muk, Tauros and Kingler were his reserve mons, since Snorlax and the Kanto starter trio can technically be classed as rotation mons.

17. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

I don't see how I'm objectively wrong when reserves were used at the Johto League, and as Nickdt said Muk, Tauros, and Kingler were reserves because they weren't in rotation for the main team.

Pretty much this.

18. Zariful

Zariful Well-Known Member

So all this talk about potential returns of reserves and maybe even Greninja returning. It makes you wonder if certain Pokemon of Ash's can ever return. We can start with Pokemon like Primeape and Squirtle who are in Kanto and in theory could be called upon. Even by extension, Ambipom lives in Vermillion City with O. Obviously she's no longer Ash's Pokemon anymore, but she's still loyal to both Ash and Dawn. Ambipom is very unlikely as again she belongs to Dawn now. But that's just a point that Ash could literally could go see her pretty easily. Then there's Pidgeot that literally lives near the labratory and Ash promised to go back for it. Buterfree moved on with its life and now has a family and Lapras is the head of its pack in Johto I think. So Ash couldn't track them down as easily. I'm on the camp that doesn't believe Goodra is technically released. I don't think it'd be hard to find a way to contact Keenan in Kalos, send over Goodra's pokeball and reunite the group. Greminja's goal to assist Zygarde has an end point as well. And Ash's bond with it could leave Greninja to eventually finding Ash again should Ash need it. Poipole may return if they decide to go to Ultra Space again, which is definitely possible. But after Alola, it may be harder. And then Ash has plenty of reserves that he could call upon if he ever wanted to. And Muk showing up again recently shows they're willing to acknowledge the existence of Ash's other Pokemon.

19. JC317

JC317 Well-Known Member

Ambipom's gone off to play ping pong tho...

20. TheWanderingMist

I don't think Primeape is his anymore. Didn't he give it to the guy he was supposed to convince to stop training Pokemon?

I can just imagine the fans freaking out when, during the final 6v6 at the League and Ash only has 5 Pokémon, when Pidgeot comes swooping down out of the sky to serve as his sixth, holding a Mega Stone in its beak.